• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get Well Soon joeypost!
6 6

123 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, joeypost said:

11 days post op. Nerves are starting to fire stronger now as I am fine one second, and the next I am in agony as these waves of heat move up and down my right leg. First time in a long time I actually can wiggle my toes AND feel them. 

Pain level is way down as I only take mediation for it just before bed. Pre-op pain was between 8-10 every day. Post-op I am at a 3-4 without meds. I am still very weak, and cannot be up and about for more than 30-40 minutes without having to rest. Am going to attempt a half day of work on Monday. 

I see the Doctor Tuesday for my first checkup and to remove the staples. 

That is brutal, Joe. I'm glad it's down. Chronic pain is no fun.

6 minutes ago, joeypost said:

11 days post op. Nerves are starting to fire stronger now as I am fine one second, and the next I am in agony as these waves of heat move up and down my right leg. First time in a long time I actually can wiggle my toes AND feel them. 

Pain level is way down as I only take mediation for it just before bed. Pre-op pain was between 8-10 every day. Post-op I am at a 3-4 without meds. I am still very weak, and cannot be up and about for more than 30-40 minutes without having to rest. Am going to attempt a half day of work on Monday. 

Congratulations! That’s a significant drop in your pain level. 

On 1/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, joeypost said:

I exhausted my shots. Had 3 rounds and they said no more. Learned today I had a laminectomy on 4 of the vertebrae and bone spurs removed on 5 of them. PT was no longer working, so had decided to go under the knife. I have been in what I consider level 8 and up pain since 2006. It was time as I stated earlier that every aspect of my life was suffering. 

I am only 1 day Post-op and I already see major improvement in the numbness and pain level. While I still have pain from the surgery it is a different pain.

If my drainage stops tonight or in the morning I get to go home in the afternoon. 

Hopefully I get to go home 

I had an almost total spinal fusion with 2 harrington rods and full bone grafting-took a year to recover from that.  The hip where they took the bone ached for a long time.  Dr said i had no restrictions so i went on to do ballet, karate and weightlifting.  Of course when you get old it starts to hurt but I lived a very active life after surgery.  Not sure how they closed the incision that ran the length of my spine-one day the Dr came in and pulled out a long wire and that was it.  No staples no nuthin.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I had an almost total spinal fusion with 2 harrington rods and full bone grafting-took a year to recover from that.  The hip where they took the bone ached for a long time.  Dr said i had no restrictions so i went on to do ballet, karate and weightlifting.  Of course when you get old it starts to hurt but I lived a very active life after surgery.  Not sure how they closed the incision that ran the length of my spine-one day the Dr came in and pulled out a long wire and that was it.  No staples no nuthin.

Fortunately, I did not need a fusion. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 5:51 AM, joeypost said:

Very glad you're healing well. :wishluck:

And this appointment Tuesday could also be a blessing for the doctor! You may be able to teach him a helpful trick or two about removing or replacing staples!

At any rate, this experience with your spine and staples will give you even a better insight into the staples from the book's often overlooked perspective.

Wiz.gif

Edited by James J Johnson

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

Turned a corner this morning. Woke up and got myself out of bed. I have this whole ritual where I have to lay on my side, swing my feet over the edge and then use my arms to lift my torso up to be in a sitting position. I have woken up like this for the last 10 years or so. 

I was expecting the pain to hit and it never did. Nothing, not even a twinge of discomfort. I still have pain from the staples and scar, but that is also slowly going away :headbang:

GET BETTER BUDDY!!!!

Hey Joey, thanks for the frequent updates of your journey on the road back. I’m sure a lot of us have had times when we wished we had Wolverine’s healing power, but us non-mutants just have to be patient with the “slower“ healing power we do have. Keep your spirits up and keep pressing ahead.

4 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Saw the Doctor today. Had the staples removed (not as pleasant as it sounds). 

Scar is healing well. Pain level has dropped significantly (maybe 1-3 compared to 8-10). 

Only issue I have (besides not being able to do anything but the prescribed exercises) is some mild numbness in my right foot. Doctor said it is normal as the nerves are starting to work properly, and I will experience little issues like this for the next few months. 

Thanks for all the well wishes. 

:foryou: