• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape advice

13 posts in this topic

Okay - I purchased this as a part of a World's Finest lot on Ebay and I assumed that I was getting this issue missing a chunk of the cover, but as it turns out, it was not missing...exactly - the seller included the detached corner. 

My plans are to keep it for now as a filler in my collection, but should I acquire a better copy in the future I would most likely sell this one. With that in mind, do we believe it would be better from a resale standpoint to re-attach the corner with archival tape or to leave the piece separate? (Or would there even be a large enough difference to be concerned with.)

Thanks!

20191223_183042.jpg

I would leave it separate for now.. you can tape it back but if you do grade it CGC will consider the tape as not there and grade it accordingly (piece missing/piece taped) also if the tape does damage the book or degrade it that would affect the grade as well. 

Just my amateur advice. 

I  think either choice has merit. If you believe you will be reselling it at some point in the future, I'd keep it as is and sell as the seller has sold it - but mention and show that the corner is present, comes with the book but is detached. 

If you reattach the corner with archival tape, I would use a very small piece in the middle. This way in a bag and board the corner is attached and won't move around. But if you use a very small piece of tape it will be possible for a future owner to gently work the tape off if they wish to do so. 

If you were planning on keeping the book in your collection for a very long time, I would be inclined as faster friends is. It's not an expensive book so might as well have it present better. Do it neatly and in a bag and board you will be only one that knows it has been repaired with tape. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Can you take a close up of each side of the tear? You could possibly get it to attach without glue or tape, but it depends on the way the tear occurred. 

are you looking at it like that if the fibers are pulled apart you could carefully insert the fibers back into the original page creating a join and press it down the top part of the paper presses down back on the loose fibers therefore kind of re attaching it with the heat and pressure from the press?

just guessing here. lol 

11 hours ago, Krismusic said:

are you looking at it like that if the fibers are pulled apart you could carefully insert the fibers back into the original page creating a join and press it down the top part of the paper presses down back on the loose fibers therefore kind of re attaching it with the heat and pressure from the press?

just guessing here. lol 

Very close.