• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When is NG “grade” typically used
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Let’s say we have 3 scenarios.  In all instances we have a GA book that looks like a f/Vf 7.0.  (Assume book moderate professional rest).

1. An interior story page has 1/3 of a page missing.

2. Same page has the 1/3 piece professionally reattached.

3. Same page has the 1/3 page recreated by a professional.

What are the likely grade drops for all 3 and will any get the NG?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Edited by burntboy
Added rest assumption

Restored books get an "apparent" grade. How they look. There is no "grade drop" for restoration itself.  The book gets the numeric grade it's appearance warrants and the restoration itself is "graded" on professional quality (A, B or C) and how extensive the restoration is (1, 2 , 3)  C-1 is a small amount of amateur restoration. A-3 is a lot of professional restoration. 

Of your questions>>>>
3) is a restored grade.  There is no "drop" of grade because it is restored, just the purple label
2) IF NOTHING ELSE WAS DONE EXCEPT the page being reattached, this would be a Conserved grade. A blue label with a grey bar across it. Conserved is still an "apparent" grade, so no numeric grade drop. Just the blue/gray label. HOWEVER, if any other work that counts as restoration is done, it gets the purple label. 
1) IF ONLY MISSING 1/3 of an interior page, the book would get a Green, Qualified label. No numeric grade drop. Just the Green label with label stating 1/3 of page xxx is missing. IF the book has other work done that counts as restoration, you will get a very low grade - but not a NG. Most likely a .5 maybe 1.0 RESTORED and the book will be noted as incomplete on the label.  NG's are given for coverless books, covers only and interior pages only. 

If you have a book that is missing 1/3 of a page AND the book already has some restoration done to it, you might as well have the missing page/piece married, recreated or reattached. Because otherwise you will have both a restored grade and a very low, incomplete grade. 

7 hours ago, Tony S said:

Restored books get an "apparent" grade. How they look. There is no "grade drop" for restoration itself.  The book gets the numeric grade it's appearance warrants and the restoration itself is "graded" on professional quality (A, B or C) and how extensive the restoration is (1, 2 , 3)  C-1 is a small amount of amateur restoration. A-3 is a lot of professional restoration. 

Of your questions>>>>
3) is a restored grade.  There is no "drop" of grade because it is restored, just the purple label
2) IF NOTHING ELSE WAS DONE EXCEPT the page being reattached, this would be a Conserved grade. A blue label with a grey bar across it. Conserved is still an "apparent" grade, so no numeric grade drop. Just the blue/gray label. HOWEVER, if any other work that counts as restoration is done, it gets the purple label. 
1) IF ONLY MISSING 1/3 of an interior page, the book would get a Green, Qualified label. No numeric grade drop. Just the Green label with label stating 1/3 of page xxx is missing. IF the book has other work done that counts as restoration, you will get a very low grade - but not a NG. Most likely a .5 maybe 1.0 RESTORED and the book will be noted as incomplete on the label.  NG's are given for coverless books, covers only and interior pages only. 

If you have a book that is missing 1/3 of a page AND the book already has some restoration done to it, you might as well have the missing page/piece married, recreated or reattached. Because otherwise you will have both a restored grade and a very low, incomplete grade. 

this exactly.

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

this exactly.

Responder 1: thank you so much for the detailed explanation...:foryou:

Responder 2: thanks for the confirmation.

To both: I have such a book and bought it after it was removed from it’s case.  The dealer was quite upfront about the book and it’s issues, but never mentioned the fact that it had been graded before.  At one point he actually wanted to buy it back.  I was only concerned with the  possibility of a NG.  Always knew it was restored and it’s quite a nice copy which should be worth multiples of what I paid for it regardless of the grade.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my question...

53 minutes ago, burntboy said:

Responder 1: thank you so much for the detailed explanation...:foryou:

Responder 2: thanks for the confirmation.

To both: I have such a book and bought it after it was removed from it’s case.  The dealer was quite upfront about the book and it’s issues, but never mentioned the fact that it had been graded before.  At one point he actually wanted to buy it back.  I was only concerned with the  possibility of a NG.  Always knew it was restored and it’s quite a nice copy which should be worth multiples of what I paid for it regardless of the grade.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my question...

np