• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine #85 cover that was on eBay
2 2

50 posts in this topic

Would love to hear what happened with this cover if anyone knows the story.  Apparently the high bidder was a sham and she wound up selling it privately.  I believe there were also some questions about authenticity and for some reason people thought it had been auctioned before?  It certainly seems legit based on the pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-85-Original-Cover-Art-Signed-Adam-Kubert-Mark-Farmer-/202864374886?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7r0aHioqoVNUEKUMY5dbv2yu8R4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I spoke with her by phone and email. They accepted a private offer on Sunday. The whole thing doesn’t pass the sniff test. Logan wouldn’t approve (tsk)

The art was legit. Was being sold by Terry Stewart who was the original owner.

Edited by AnkurJ

4 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Would love to hear what happened with this cover if anyone knows the story.  Apparently the high bidder was a sham and she wound up selling it privately.  I believe there were also some questions about authenticity and for some reason people thought it had been auctioned before?  It certainly seems legit based on the pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-85-Original-Cover-Art-Signed-Adam-Kubert-Mark-Farmer-/202864374886?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7r0aHioqoVNUEKUMY5dbv2yu8R4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

It was legit. I spoke with her and her husband got it personally from Adam. Her husband was Marvel President in 94.

Aftet I spoke with her she added the notes to the auction. It had never been publicly offered before.

There was obvious red flags with the bidding. Not surprised the final bid wasn’t legit. A great wraparound cover.

1 minute ago, O. said:

The eBay auction winner is a close friend, and he's as real as it gets in our market.

The second he showed me the seller's eBay messages refusing to honour his winning bid, I told him she probably got a higher private offer off eBay.

Despicable behaviour on the seller's part.

That's a shame.

EBAY is OK for handling low end stuff yourself, but not so great for something like this.

Better to use a broker, like a dealer you trust, or a reputable auction house.

David

10 minutes ago, O. said:

The eBay auction winner is a close friend, and he's as real as it gets in our market.

The second he showed me the seller's eBay messages refusing to honour his winning bid, I told him she probably got a higher private offer off eBay.

That's odd because right after the auction ended, she emailed me out of the blue and asked me for an offer (we had corresponded at the beginning of the auction but she similarly disappeared after that).  She said they were still deciding whether or not to sell privately or offer the cover to the 2nd highest bidder.  She said she had her suspicions that the winning bidder wasn't legit and for whatever reason those suspicions bore out.  I didn't hear from her again until today when she told me that she sold and delivered the cover to another buyer.

1 hour ago, O. said:

Yeah, that's awful. 

1 hour ago, O. said:

I’m so glad I didn’t snipe. Having a price driven up on you is one thing but winning legit like your friend and not having the winning bid honored is rage worthy.

Hi All

My first post here and I was the high bidder for this cover. Thought I would share my side of things strictly for informational purposes, it was disappointing when it happened but I have since gotten over it. Good art is always just around the corner as I have found : )

My CAF is linked here: https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=133904

First off, thanks to Dickie O and Shawn Low for bringing more light to this.

The history of the matter was that I had agreed to a price with Terry's wife which she then backed out and wanted to let it run through the eBay auction. I thought it was more than fair and bid all the way till I won it.

I then went to bed and discovered in the morning that my winning bid was cancelled for the reason that my delivery address was wrong. I wrote in to her to ask what's the matter and offered references for myself if that was the issue and alternative addresses if that was the real issue. There was no reply despite numerous attempts.

It is completely within her rights to not want to sell it to me for whatever reason but I would have appreciated it if she just came out to say that or list what her concerns were for me to address them.

Hope this helps make the story complete and I have attached the cancellation screenshot for reference.

Happy hunting guys!

Josh

received_2676148039141078.png