• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine #85 cover that was on eBay
3 3

50 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

There’s a reason the auction was private. Even when eBay names are hidden to have a private auction tells me you may have something to hide. With all the inquiries they received I’m sure greed set in.

Red red flags! Believe me I was very interested in this one. The bidding, the bidder feedbacks and the private auction. My Spider senses were tingling.

The public auction was to set the floor for the subsequent private auction. Nice.

Of course none of this would work if there weren't various private parties willingly to play the game.

You all know who you are ;)

1 hour ago, lobrac said:

Wow, what a badge of honor. A real high point year for the company.  :)

Actually, Terry Stewart was president of Marvel Comics from the late 80's to around 96 when the company went bankrupt. A lot of people blamed him for the bankruptcy. There was a comic that was released by the original 7 Image creators, (Mcfarlane, Lee, Liefeld, Larsen...etc) that blamed him for them leaving Marvel and creating Image. The comic had something to do with the original 7 Image creators not getting enough credit and not getting enough in residuals, when their books were selling in the millions.

If you see a stellar piece on ebay rest assured the seller is getting constantly hit with offers to sell it off site. These folks don't want to compete with other eager bidders. More often than not these pieces are yanked "Item no longer available". It stinks, but it is the game that's played.

Knowing that is happening, if you are interested, you have to come up with your own counter measures, but I always would rather the piece to be auctioned off fair and square... highest bidder wins.

Edited by gumbydarnit

1 hour ago, gumbydarnit said:

If you see a stellar piece on ebay rest assured the seller is getting constantly hit with offers to sell it off site. These folks don't want to compete with other eager bidders. More often than not these pieces are yanked "Item no longer available". It stinks, but it is the game that's played.

Knowing that is happening, if you are interested, you have to come up with your own counter measures, but I always would rather the piece to be auctioned off fair and square... highest bidder wins.

Same thing must’ve happened to this Kelley Jones page from Sandman #5. 

I don’t get how sellers can get away with this. I remember around 2011-12 when I was a green seller on eBay, a buyer wanted to work with me outside of eBay. I must’ve sent him my email or number through the messaging system and eBay flagged me immediately for attempting to violate their policy. After that I imagined that ebay has algorithms that flag email addresses and phone numbers and possibly key words and phrases. So how do sellers pull off these shenanigans? They just take the penalties?

50D0003E-2334-4BE4-9888-62E3EADA5CBA.jpeg

I have taken offers to end auctions early on EBAY, but I revise the listing for the buyer to "buy now" at their higher price

and it has always worked.  I only do it if there are no other bidders.  EBAY gets their cut, and the buyer gets the comfort

of the site security.

David

14 hours ago, O. said:

The eBay auction winner is a close friend, and he's as real as it gets in our market.

The second he showed me the seller's eBay messages refusing to honour his winning bid, I told him she probably got a higher private offer off eBay.

Despicable behaviour on the seller's part.

Is he a non-U.S. collector? If so, that might have been what scared her off.

1 hour ago, gumbydarnit said:

You are absolutely correct. Always a possibility that a private deal gets worked out before end of auction.

Theres only so much you can do as a potential buyer. I made contact when the bids jumped from $5100-$10,000. I asked the seller for provenance, I tried to encourage seller to stay in it until the end of the auction.

It’s frustrating when auctions comes down early. This one actually did come to the end.

If that final bid was not honored it’s a disgrace. 

42 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Same thing must’ve happened to this Kelley Jones page from Sandman #5. 

I don’t get how sellers can get away with this. I remember around 2011-12 when I was a green seller on eBay, a buyer wanted to work with me outside of eBay. I must’ve sent him my email or number through the messaging system and eBay flagged me immediately for attempting to violate their policy. After that I imagined that ebay has algorithms that flag email addresses and phone numbers and possibly key words and phrases. So how do sellers pull off these shenanigans? They just take the penalties?

50D0003E-2334-4BE4-9888-62E3EADA5CBA.jpeg

I was following this one also. Bidding was heating up then GONE...

I believe the seller has 12 hours before end of auction to cancel-end even with bids. It’s supposed to be for legitimate reasons and seller has to declare what those reasons are.

its misused all the time and frustrating. In the case of Wolverine 85 the auction came to a conclusion and the final bid should be honored. 

There’s a difference. Ending auctions early is maybe unfair but technically within the rules under certain situations.

How can eBay be taken seriously if a winning bid is not honored. Imagine HA letting an auction come to conclusion and then saying sorry, no sale....

Shenanigans.

19 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Thought I'd add the picture for future reference since eBay will eventually get rid of it.

s-l1600.jpg

image.thumb.png.17ccafa26d77330adbee0f9fcc27faed.png

Here is the bidding history. :gossip:

Thoughts?

99082F4A-DE4A-4761-9B3C-D3CA3CC14643.thumb.jpeg.661a17b2dd5bf5ffac33b1eee00392ff.jpegD7031308-74C7-4043-9630-8151E0FBCEC1.thumb.jpeg.a1af9d59e53c1e9fa137a4d35cac55e1.jpeg

F44661E3-4CDE-4683-A562-6AE13C7C3E8E.jpeg

Edited by grapeape

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I was following this one also. Bidding was heating up then GONE...

I believe the seller has 12 hours before end of auction to cancel-end even with bids. It’s supposed to be for legitimate reasons and seller has to declare what those reasons are.

its misused all the time and frustrating. In the case of Wolverine 85 the auction came to a conclusion and the final bid should be honored. 

There’s a difference. Ending auctions early is maybe unfair but technically within the rules under certain situations.

How can eBay be taken seriously if a winning bid is not honored. Imagine HA letting an auction come to conclusion and then saying sorry, no sale....

Shenanigans.

You’re absolutely right. I didn’t put into consideration that ending auctions early is within the confines of allowable actions and is a different beast. 

25 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

You’re absolutely right. I didn’t put into consideration that ending auctions early is within the confines of allowable actions and is a different beast. 

(thumbsu

ebay...,,,sigh 

Reading these posts reminds me of losing a BWS Iron Man page on Ebay a few years ago where I was the high bidder for a good period of time (but at less than FMV) - but the seller was lured into canceling the auction and selling it privately without letting me know she was taking private offers.  I reported her to Ebay.

46 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

Reading these posts reminds me of losing a BWS Iron Man page on Ebay a few years ago where I was the high bidder for a good period of time (but at less than FMV) - but the seller was lured into canceling the auction and selling it privately without letting me know she was taking private offers.  I reported her to Ebay.

I’ve been there too....

:/

6 hours ago, aokartman said:

I have taken offers to end auctions early on EBAY, but I revise the listing for the buyer to "buy now" at their higher price

and it has always worked.  I only do it if there are no other bidders.  EBAY gets their cut, and the buyer gets the comfort

of the site security.

David

That’s honest and fair. And keeps your sale security and n both sides. 

28 minutes ago, Jamie.Merwin said:

I'm surprised at the price The Kubert Wolvie  cover sold at.  Is this the norm now for Adam's Wolverine work from this era, or was this just an aberration?  

It blows the lid off the Wolverine 75 cover where the adamantium is ripped out by Magneto. Same art team. That might be a more “important” cover for nostalgic story telling.

It sold for $10,000 and a few dollars more a few years back at HA.

I think the 85 cover is superior artistically  and just a magnificent specimen. I think the mind blowing art, the fresh to market angle and a shot at grabbing a win off eBay with limited exposure all contributed to the madness.