• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Women in Comics Appreciation Thread
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Good posts. These are from posts I made in the Rise of the Female Superhero thread, but I figured I might as well share them here:

Mighty Woman from Planet Comics #3 (March 1940, Fiction House). Art by Alex Blum.

18.jpg&key=513149794d9d808f7867adf227459

Magician from Mars from Amazing-Man Comics #11 (April 1940, Centaur Comics). Art by John Giunta and Michael Mirando.

zImxAdwR6dl48dbF3iOsdg5ca_p7fDp0eQ_WYdEt

Woman in Red from Thrilling Comics #5 (June 1940, Nedor Comics). Art by George Mandel.

31.jpg&key=d74a68615ef11b823c939d79dae66

Blue Lady from Amazing-Man Comics #25 (December 1941, Centaur Comics). Art by Frank Frollo.

57.jpg&key=0c8b7cbd039fcba69e52e50f31eeb

Lady Fairplay from Bang-Up Comics #1 (December 1941, Progressive Publications). Art by Jack Ryan.

65.jpg&key=d58291d432dfeffd829fd49ac38a5

Miss Victory from Captain Fearless Comics #1 (August 1941, Tem Publishing). Art by Charles Quinlan.

49.jpg

USA the Spirit of Old Glory from Feature Comics #47 (August 1941, Quality Comics). Art by Maurice Gutwirth.

44.jpg

Wildfire from Smash Comics #27 (October 1941, Quality Comics). Art by Jim Mooney.

27.jpg

Spider Queen from The Eagle #3 (November 1941, Fox Comics). Art by Pierce Rice.

50.jpg

Madame Strange from Great Comics #2 (December 1941, Great Comics Publications). Art by Charles A. Winter.

60.jpg

Señorita Rio from Fight Comics #21 (October 1942, Fiction House). Art by Nick Viscardi.

19.jpg

Spider Widow from Feature Comics #62 (November 1942, Quality Comics). Art by Frank Borth.

22.jpg

Black Angel from Air Fighters Comics #3 (December 1942, Hillman Periodicals). Art by John Cassone.

47.jpg

Lightning Girl from Four Favorites #8 (December 1942, Ace Comics). Art by Harvey Kurtzman.

12.jpg

Mary Marvel from Captain Marvel Adventures #18 (December 1942, Fawcett Comics). Art by Marc Swayze.

12.jpg

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I give a big shout to Marie Severin. The only female staffer at EC. She colored all those wonderful covers. Often being the “conscience” to tone down some of them she felt went a little over board. She went on to be a very notable artist in her own right. A strong and very friendly lady with a heck of a lot of talent and moxie. 

Severin did the colouring for the interior artwork at EC, as well.

Easily one of the best colourists ever to work in comics.  

As a more contemporary example, I remember looking at her work in Superman Adventures, and thinking that when someone else did the colouring it would suddenly seem a bit garish and mismatched in comparison.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Amanda Conner, Nicola Scott, Natali Sanders, Joyce Chin, Jan Duursema, Jenny Frison , all awesome artists!

Ann Nocenti & Jo Duffy: great writers as well! 

I was here to give the Ann Nocenti shout out. I remember seeing her name so often when I started reading Marvel comics, in editorials and as the writer of Daredevil. Then she seemed to disappear. Haven't reread that stuff since I was a kid, but it made an impression.

3 hours ago, comics4all said:

Amanda Conner, Nicola Scott, Natali Sanders, Joyce Chin, Jan Duursema, Jenny Frison , all awesome artists!

Ann Nocenti & Jo Duffy: great writers as well! 

This list is AWESOME! Quality work :)

Oh, and Sarah Dyer! Probably most well known as being a co-writer on several of Evan Dorkin's projects (i.e. "The House of Fun") she's also a great cartoonist in her own right. I really miss the "Action Girl" anthology series she headed up in the 90's, it was great stuff.

Trina Robbins and Catherine Yronwode wrote the book "Women and the Comics" in 1985 in answer to Maurice Horn's book "Women in the Comics" (1977) which 'disappointed' Cat as stated in her introduction to their book. Cat and Trina dedicated their book to Ruth Roche (a great comic book and comic strip writer). Of course Trina Robbins is a comic legend and one of the most pleasant people that you could ever hope to meet. No thread on Women's appreciation in comics would be complete without them. 

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg