• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus #1 CGC 9.6
2 2

99 posts in this topic

Great research Rosland.  If the 9.6 isn't a Signature Series resubmission, then it's looking more and more like an error.

To have a 9.6 come out of the wild AND get signed by Sim, all in the past few months is highly doubtful.

Edited by roccojoco
Correction

23 hours ago, Rosland said:

Assuming Sim had 10 Cerebus #1 copies graded as File copies, the orginal S/N are:

0074671001  9.4

0074671002  9.4

0074671003  9.0

0074671004  *missing*          [presumably now the 2027849001 copy at 9.2]

0074671005  9.0

0074671006  9.2

0074671007  9.2

0074671008  9.0

0074671009  9.2

0074671010  9.4

Which accounts for all 10 copies. No room here for a 9.6 file copy.

Nice. I didn't think of checking through the "verify certification" tool. 

Very handy...you can see entire submissions if you know the number of a single book...

:whistle:

22 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
On 1/25/2020 at 10:30 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not *entirely* true...if a particular book has a known production issue...like the tears in the spine of Wolverine #35, or the massive printer's creases on every Direct copy of Cap #241...they take that into consideration.

The jagged reading edge on ASM 300 is another. GOD BLESS....

Yes, but the types of production defects which you are describing on all of these other books cannot be worked on in order to eliminate or minimize them. (thumbsu

In the case of the production spine ticks with the Cerebus 1 though, they might want you to send them into their partner company in hopes of minimizing the impact of this spine defect.  After all, CCG is a business entity and it only makes business sense to pay attention to your top and bottom lines.  hm  (shrug) 

10 hours ago, roccojoco said:

We know Sim kept 10 file copies and Deni got 10 in their divorce.  Do we know if Deni has graded or parted ways with any of her copies?

Something tells me Deni got the 8.5s.. just sayin' :insane:

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Something tells me Deni got the 8.5s.. just sayin' :insane:

@greggy I think your last five to ten responses to me have been that confused emoji.   Are you being annoying on purpose or by accident?   :insane:

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

@greggy I think your last five to ten responses to me have been that confused emoji.   Are you being annoying on purpose or by accident?   :insane:

Annoying

Ive posted this before but speaking about the print run of Cerebus #1.  When I was madly chasing early Cerebi copies, I did a lot of business with Harry Kremer. Real nice guy. I bought as many early issues as he still had (Cerebus was in the mid #30s then).  He told me that when the first issue was delivered from the printer, He and Dave (partners to some degree on comics publishing like Octoberfest) spread them out in the living room (forget who's house) and saw that a lot were badly damaged.  They complained to the printer. They said 400 copies were unsellable. The printer made a deal, "accept them and he'd print an extra 400 copies of #2 for free".

For years Ive told the story and assumed the printer asked for the 400 damaged copies, making #1 print run only 1600, and #2 as 2400.  But now I cant recall if Dave and Harry got to keep the 400, because, really, what was the printer going to do with them, except maybe take them back to keep Dave "honest?")  Or, maybe because Dave knew stores wouldn't take damaged copies for sale as "new" books, he didn't want them either!?

also, Dave was a comic reader and collector like us.  Harry told me when the money started coming in, Harry was finding Early GA Supermans for Dave to collect.  But Dave stopped fairly quickly and never pursued it after a while.

According to another thread and Kevin Boyd, he said Sim told him the tale of the 400 damaged #1 issues was untrue.

"Dave said he has no idea where the 400 damaged copy rumour began, but it isn't true (as far as he knows). There is the possibility that Harry Kremer may have received 400 damaged copies, or they were damaged at his store at a later date (if so Harry didn't tell him)."

6 hours ago, Rosland said:

Cerebus #1

CGC 9.6 SS

S/N 2490154001

(It's been entered in the registry)

Just noticed that it was signed March 2004, same time as the other Dave Sim File copies, but it is itself not a file copy.

I know zilch about Cerebus but I came across the owner on another thread. Their name is MarvinTheMartian on the registry. There’s a picture of it too. Pretty cool stuff, a lot of great books in that collection 

Edited by chasehasadog82