Marwood's Miscellany
5 5

56 posts in this topic

42,367 posts
24 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Does a gun holster have a gender?

In French yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
25 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

In French yes

Very good Jim. That's the French-Canadian in you coming out there I think :)

Now, still on the theme of war, here's a reprint from everyone's favourite UK reprinter, Lenny Miller and his Co.:

bg6.thumb.jpg.7e9dd44edf945305adbbc53b7150cfe9.jpg

There's a number six on the cover, and a number five on the spine. There's a number two in the loo, but that's not important right now (although they also often strike by night)

Now, who's going to be first to post a picture of the US original comic that it reprints?

Hurry up though, I ain't got all f:censored:ing night :taptaptap:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Ipve been IN French Canadians,but no French Canadian in me!Mlle Porcupine's family is from France...I do live a five minute walk from Quebec thoug.

Lovely greens on that,gimme a sec and I'll try to find what it reprints-Battleground #5 Marv-el!

:headbang:

Six is a reprint of five! Which is probably why the reprinted six has five on the spine. Probably!

bg5.jpg.6cf25d514b9f2d4ed18c9ee127e0e534.jpg bg6.thumb.jpg.f9a46e8de0471550decdef3092d3e928.jpg

See you next time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,292 posts
5 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Also

49783343_1189811194514280_82533087262204

Did you catch the Milfgaard references in The Witcher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,367 posts
27 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Did you catch the Milfgaard references in The Witcher?

Haven't had a chance to watch yet.Mrs' wanted You (the programme,newt)first,then I watched a flick'Our House' and shucks,I been reading comic books!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts

Morning :)

I posted a picture of a graded Dell Giant in my Dell thread - best place for it I suppose - and commented on the use of the word 'frontispiece' which I had never heard of before:

frontispiece.PNG.bdfa10e91638374dddf449bffcdda72c.PNG

frontispiece2.PNG.e6c98f665ff41aad752794e07d3b8aa7.PNG

Am I the only person who has never heard of the term in relation to comics? At all actually.

If you haven't heard of it, please post a confused graemlin conf.PNG.554f805c00a7ea2d75693115a1f81112.PNG (i.e. "Yes, I'm confused too by this strange, unfathomable word")

If you have, a sad one confused.PNG.7b25abeb5b21441bf24c701b886e3e3c.PNG (i.e. "Of course I've heard of it you sad individual")

Off you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,279 posts
53 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Morning :)

I posted a picture of a graded Dell Giant in my Dell thread - best place for it I suppose - and commented on the use of the word 'frontispiece' which I had never heard of before:

frontispiece.PNG.bdfa10e91638374dddf449bffcdda72c.PNG

frontispiece2.PNG.e6c98f665ff41aad752794e07d3b8aa7.PNG

Am I the only person who has never heard of the term in relation to comics? At all actually.

If you haven't heard of it, please post a confused graemlin conf.PNG.554f805c00a7ea2d75693115a1f81112.PNG (i.e. "Yes, I'm confused too by this strange, unfathomable word")

If you have, a sad one confused.PNG.7b25abeb5b21441bf24c701b886e3e3c.PNG (i.e. "Of course I've heard of it you sad individual")

Off you go.

This one is for you, I:

 

doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,805 posts
8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

'frontispiece'

I have heard of it before, but it's quite old-fashioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,292 posts
9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

'frontispiece'

I have heard of it before, but it's quite old-fashioned.

Polite alternate for codpiece?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
56 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I have heard of it before, but it's quite old-fashioned.

It's getting lonely in here Ken. Only me and Adamantium have never heard of it. And he's only 12 so his vote doesn't count. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,042 posts
12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

 confused.PNG.7b25abeb5b21441bf24c701b886e3e3c.PNG (i.e. "Of course I've heard of it you sad individual")

 I've heard of the term but then I'm a bit of a Bookworm,:bigsmile:

 

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
188 posts
On 1/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Am I the only person who has never heard of the term in relation to comics? At all actually.

I've often used the term in relation to my work... at the British Library, and in my hobby... ripping decorative frontispieces out of valuable books & flogging them on e-bay:devil:

Also, I'd like to be the first to suggest a new bit of terminology for general use by all herein assembled:

frontispence: any cover price on a publication designated for sale in the United Kingdom, or any other country using pounds, pence or shillings as currency (ex: Lebanon, South Sudan).

note: Not to be confused with "fontispence", which just sounds like you're trying to speak Latin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
21 minutes ago, rakehell said:

I've often used the term in relation to my work... at the British Library, and in my hobby... ripping decorative frontispieces out of valuable books & flogging them on e-bay:devil:

Also, I'd like to be the first to suggest a new bit of terminology for general use by all herein assembled:

frontispence: any cover price on a publication designated for sale in the United Kingdom, or any other country using pounds, pence or shillings as currency (ex: Lebanon, South Sudan).

note: Not to be confused with "fontispence", which just sounds like you're trying to speak Latin.

:applause:post of the week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
188 posts
3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

post of the week

Steady on, Francine. It's only Monday. (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
43 minutes ago, rakehell said:

Steady on, Francine. It's only Monday. (thumbsu

I know Geraldine, that's what I meant :shy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,042 posts
7 hours ago, rakehell said:

frontispence: any cover price on a publication designated for sale in the United Kingdom, or any other country using pounds, pence or shillings as currency

Actually I've been seeing this more often on Ebay these days where the damage to the cover is only around the value price, if someone was new to collecting I'm sure that they might take a chance as the contents are always U.S based, very sneaky.:devil: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5