• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous
2 2

184 posts in this topic

Turning to music, I was lucky enough to sneak Elvis Costello and Morrissey in on consecutive nights just before the world shut. 

Elvis at the Hammersmith Odeon...

elvis.thumb.jpg.dc03f82fad604caeb6fb74354d8f0c9d.jpg

...and Mozz at the Wembley Arena.

mozz1.thumb.jpg.c7f3748e2dbb1ab387f9bf9a06796756.jpg

He still does a mean shirt by the way, Mozz. I didn't buy one though as I'm tight like that. 

mozz2.jpg.40ec1c7955ec9e5dba737eb81e4a9ef6.jpg

Elvis has been a constant musical feature in my life and occupies God Like status at Marwood Towers. Always will. But his song selection drove me nuts (Hurry down doomsday!) and the arrangements were annoying, the sound oddly poor. Still a fantastic event of course but I wanted to hear one of those 500 brilliant songs that he's written down the years and he studiously avoided all of them. Maybe next time, if there is one.

Mozz also occupies God Like status and has also been a musical constant since way before the last ever Smiths concert that I was amazingly at. The arena was half full as most people decided not to go. I went on my own (if you're so funny....) and sat a hundred yards from everyone else, singing and flailing around at the top of my aged but virus free lungs. Mozz won the battle of the bands by a country mile, beating Elvis with great song selection (London and Paris!) and the most ridiculously good voice for a man of his age. Every song was sung as the song, not in that irritating Elton Johnesque 'sing it any way but how it was on the record' way. And he was his usual funny self of course.

I walked home afterwards through town and it felt like I had literally watched the last ever anything. Concert going is an altogether different affair when the flush of youth has deserted you, and I had mixed feelings on the journey.

So anyway, I got two in before London shut. The new Morrissey album is quite good I think, despite what I've read online. It's playing in the background now. Some people just have it don't they. That extra magic that separates them from the norm. 

See ya :)

On 2/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

These are nice though :)

cap.thumb.jpg.95ee724cb06ab76bf52aecc120919d87.jpg drstr.thumb.jpg.431323dfb3cb01efe2b61843d90903be.jpg im.thumb.jpg.710fd6065593e73a982e916f59f5c9c4.jpg

sm.thumb.jpg.2cf4e2c3cc6296884cf2097841bae047.jpg thor.thumb.jpg.813a8d256aeb79fd5f7657223b7df38e.jpg 

Not mine, just saw them on the Australian bay...

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ed5ff7d9688f868c2cf5b823beeebe05.jpg

"Hulk like" Hulk.gif.2483aa20217d5ffe695038e0104ff1b7.gif

I bought Elvis Costello's first US release on vinyl back in what, 1979?  Anyway, listened to it about twice, which I thought was twice more than it deserved.  Maybe I should dust that album off?  (Actually, pretty sure it is in a polyethylene sleeve, and was played once to record to cassette...., )

Hope you don't mind some early morning blasphemy, but I've never heard Morrissey.  I mean I've heard the name of him/them/whatever before, but never listened to the music.  Do you have any recommended tracks or albums?

23 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I bought Elvis Costello's first US release on vinyl back in what, 1979?  Anyway, listened to it about twice, which I thought was twice more than it deserved.  Maybe I should dust that album off?  (Actually, pretty sure it is in a polyethylene sleeve, and was played once to record to cassette...., )

His first album, 'My Aim is True', has it's moments but he doesn't really get going until the Attractions turn up on the second one 'This Years Model'. My favourite is 'Imperial Bedroom' but there are many others that run it close. The man is basically a musical genius and, up to and including 'All This Useless Beauty' couldn't put a foot wrong. Easily one of the greatest singer songwriters of all time.

Hope you don't mind some early morning blasphemy, but I've never heard Morrissey.  I mean I've heard the name of him/them/whatever before, but never listened to the music.  Do you have any recommended tracks or albums?

He of The Smiths?

The Smiths were of their time. I can't listen to much of it now. That's not to say it isn't a thing of unparalleled beauty, but it's time is past. 

Morrissey's first two albums were and still are great and remarkably different. One all banging and screeching the other fey and slight. There are no bad Morrissey albums. Some are better than others, but they all have the same thing in common and each has their fruits to bear. And Morrissey's voice has a touch of the Dorian Gray about it, oddly improving with age. 

Try any of these, all peppered with gems:

• Viva Hate
  • Kill Uncle
  • Bona Drag
  • Southpaw Grammar
  • Years of Refusal
  • Low in High School

You may hate them. You may not. 

If you don't like this...

...or this...

...or this...

...don't bother. 

Thanks, but I guess, not my cup of tea. However, I did really like the piano on the "The Girl" one.  I do love good piano music.

19 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Thanks, but I guess, not my cup of tea. However, I did really like the piano on the "The Girl" one.  I do love good piano music.

1 minute ago, Harry Lime said:

xD Can't wait!

Oh, never liked Elvis Costello's music although he seems a decent enough bloke & Morrissey is a turd.

80's music left me cold in the 80's 'cept for Style Council & The The. (worship)

A turd! All that effort and that's all he gets! :bigsmile:

I liked the Style Council and remember a long hot summer playing the 'You're the Best Thing' 12" remix over and over. Weller was a pompous old sod though wasn't he. Still is.

I had the The The album with the alternate cover. Infected wasn't it? I liked the first song then it tailed off after the trumpety trumpet bit. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Soul Mining is the The The's (see what I did there) best LP. 

Yes. Same as I did here!

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I had the The The album with the alternate cover. 

:)

You can't beat a Jools piano solo, I agree. Being a Squeeze bod, I've seem him tinkle the ivories a time or twelve.

I'm a fan of Elvis and Morrisey however I prefer my music a bit rougher round the edges. Caught the fantastic Irish punk rockers Stiff Little Fingers for the 53rd time shortly before the great lockdown, they only played three gigs before having to abandon tour. I first saw them in 1978 at Rock against Racism gig in Brixton which Elvis Costello headlined.

slf.thumb.jpeg.842d17fe45e5fe4ad58f2f10d2185c52.jpeg

There's a comic book theme going on with the backdrop

On 1/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Go on then, one more for today :)

Do you ever get a book that you can't find a previous sale price on anywhere? 

Here is such a book:

br.thumb.jpg.fe6043842799712dfd2b0b2551b47c02.jpg

I do like that logo with its reverse red and yellow thing going on. Very bold.

The poor chap below it looks like he's been in the wars though.

510495882_br(2).jpg.c02483ece0ea7a7c1d893ede5dac4fac.jpg

Oh, hang on, he has. Is should I say. Was I mean.

And is that a gun holster or a man in the distance standing in the entrance to a cave?

431313881_br(3).jpg.76e642fdc516c7dd94202cee0fdcc41e.jpg

That's some subliminal message thing, surely....

Anyway, it's a nice looking book this and is on tonight's reading pile.

See you next time :)

Definitely a man, with his arm oddly positioned or at least an inopportune time to be positioned in such nature