• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages or better grade?

8 posts in this topic

Good Morning All, (new member and first post)

What is better for price appreciation when buying an already graded/slabbed comic:

1 - Lower grade BUT white pages (IE: 5.0 whitepages) 

2 - Higher grade off-white/cream pages (8.0 off-white/cream pages)

I'm thinking white pages are more important but... since its pertaining to ONLY graded copies and the cover is only seen and hence more like a piece of art, a higher grade would be better for price appreciation in the future.  No time line for value to go up (maybe like 20-30 years from now, this is just for me to pass down)

For more details, i'm looking at getting some silver and bronze age comics (first appearances and #1 issues).  Obviously higher grade and white pages is the grail

Thanks All and look forward to your answers :)

I would go with higher grades over PQ as high grades will get you more financially but also high grades usually have less damage to them such as bends, creases, tears, handling, etc... so it would present better as a art piece than white pages. if they are the same grade or near the same grade then its a what looks nicer.

As grading is subjective and different things affect the grade I would usually look at which book presents nicer. 

I never understood why page quality is not factored into the grade.

Or if it is, why it's separated out on the label. They don't do that with almost any other common defects.

Edited by jcjames

I don't care if my pages are off-white or white. Or even cream.

I only care if they are brown (and even then on older books I dont mind terribly) or brittle. 

So I would take the grade. Does off-white pages mean the book is on the road to worse looking pages in 20 or 30 or 80 years? I doubt it. I'll take a 7.0 off-white over a 6.5 white. And if someone was charging more for a 7.0 white compared to a 7.0 off-white, I am buying the off-white. If it is slabbed, I dont get to see the pages anyways so why would one care? 

The only white I care about is a cover that is white. I want that sucker as shiny as humanly possible.