• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

I haven't seen THAT before.  Typically if the red foil comes off, you'll see the black background color.  And for gold foil covers, a white cover is underneath.  But I bet someone was trying to get cute and make themselves a Black Error variant for this cheapie.

Jerome

Well I’ll tell you it’s not a fake and I figured that would be a few peoples ideas. This came from a stack of 25 copies that were bought from a dollar bin before the Black error was even a thing. 

All were priced at a dollar and only a year or so after the book came out.

I thank you for your educated response though.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

Does anybody have any theory besides a fake?

something scientific like all foils starting as silver as a base same as a mirror and the red is actually a top layer tint.

That somehow the top layer did not stick but the base did therefore not revealing the mate black paper stock but the silver underneath.

Its Ok if someone wants to shout FAKE.

...but really can there be another educated theory?

Edited by Shoomanfoo

37 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

I want to say the only editions that got silver for foreign ones (I typically see silver italian prints).  Color me surprised if is not a manufacturer defect (and not someone being 'funny').  

Jerome

Yes I know all the colors and the silver Italian edition.

what I’m saying is in the foil process of making colored foil of any kind or use not just comics starts with silver as a base. 

There is no way to produce this effect with a chemical for it would certainly effect the paper. 

The red is not scraped and there is no abrasions and if you look there is no damage or defect to the title nor logo of venom or the Marvel Comics box.

As stated this was bought and owned by me about a year or two the most after this book was published.

I bought all copies together from same box and put away until just recently.

I am the owner of this book since then.

Im just trying to see if anyone ever came across one like this and a logical explanation of how it can happen chemically or mechanically during there printing process.

As I am explaining how it could be possible that it’s silver and not black..

please explain why it is fake in your observation with some kind of theory.

something more than “fake because I’ve never saw one”

Excellent pics. I like how you can still see the web rainbows in the silver. I'm guessing the red ink was either low or just changed and a few of these popped out. Like, when the heads start to run out, it's never uniform.

I'd call it a definite printing error, but nothing exceptional like the black or white variants.

In this pic you can even see were the webbing and final phase of the foiling is missing an inch or so above the title VENOM.

That is also a known printing error.

This book seems to have some of the usual characteristics of a red foil error and yet some very different ones.

I see no reason why the red layer cant get messed up in the right or wrong conditions.

F9159DED-775B-4185-9EE6-56551A176572.jpeg

Edited by Shoomanfoo

49 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Excellent pics. I like how you can still see the web rainbows in the silver. I'm guessing the red ink was either low or just changed and a few of these popped out. Like, when the heads start to run out, it's never uniform.

I'd call it a definite printing error, but nothing exceptional like the black or white variants.

Yes!! Exactly!!!

You can see the final process of the webbing in the silver.

Its hard to spot on certain angles but it is there!

Theres no way to remove a “top layer” and not remove the webbing.

Im glad someone caught this. There’s also areas of no webbing on solid red areas.

There are a few errors on this book though there is no black at all...

only red and silver. It’s literally the color of aluminum and that’s what foil is made of.

Now I’ll agree it’s not as striking as the full black or white but it’s cool to discover a new and unseen error creating true silver.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

I do want to thank everyone for there input. 

All well thought out opinions on there close observation of pics are welcome even if there outcome is a “possible fake”. 

Trying to find out more and get some more opinions.

again can provide more pics, lighting, or angles...anything that would help.

wouldn't want to send this in and get a green label

speaking of which...

what might this get labeled as since it’s not a black but actually a silver?

*again I’ve had this book before the errors where a thing and I didn’t even know the existence of them at the time. I’ve never altered this book and believe it to be a genuine error. Not a hoax or trying to be funny. Not even trying to sell.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

The great thing about the boards is anyone can post wherever they want :banana:

Oh absolutely but what else is great is you can put anybody on ignore and then the person lurking with nothing better to do is wasting his time because he cannot troll me any longer lmaooo

Are you one of those kind too?

...or will you surprise me by adding something intelligent or relevant to the post?

🤓

Edited by Shoomanfoo

10 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Are you one of those kind too?

You'd have to decide that for yourself.

10 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

...or will you surprise me by adding something intelligent or relevant to the post?

Nothing that hasn't been said already. Looks like some type of printing error, but I have no scientific explanation. It's not a visually attractive one IMO like the black or white though. 

48 minutes ago, Foley said:

You'd have to decide that for yourself.

Nothing that hasn't been said already. Looks like some type of printing error, but I have no scientific explanation. It's not a visually attractive one IMO like the black or white though. 

I agree but maybe rarer

1 hour ago, Foley said:

The great thing about the boards is anyone can post wherever they want :banana:

Better watch it Foley-he don't take kindly to yer kind!No slacks,no dogs and you can't be stylish!

Looks like some sort of fluid ran down it to me,like a mild solvent