• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Better watch it Foley-he don't take kindly to yer kind!No slacks,no dogs and you can't be stylish!

Looks like some sort of fluid ran down it to me,like a mild solvent

Yea and magically didn’t effect the inks or the paper lmaoo.

Just to educate you the foil used on comics is made of aluminum and would withstand heat or any solvent much greater than printer ink.

Alcohol is enough to damage comic cover inks let alone a solvent that would break down foil.

Shoot!  an eraser is enough to take off ink and wouldn’t even blemish the foil.

great theory there Einstein 👍🏾

Edited by Shoomanfoo

2 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Actually I like that one!

I do honestly think Pepsi can eat away anything especially the lining of my colon...

but it’s oh so good!

The first comment,I was half poking fun at your comment to Foley,but do you see what,where I mean,that there's a spot or two that looks like liquid may have built up and dripped?Could it have been heat?I'm not saying it's fake or implying you did sinisterisms.This sort of stuff does actually really interest me,I love it.

Like this one I'm not sure what happened to

s-l1600.jpg

12 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Yea and magically didn’t effect the inks or the paper lmaoo.

Just to educate you the foil used on comics is made of aluminum and would withstand heat or any solvent much greater than printer ink.

Alcohol is enough to damage comic cover inks let alone a solvent that would break down foil.

Shoot!  an eraser is enough to take off ink and wouldn’t even blemish the foil.

great theory there Einstein 👍🏾

I can see where Jerome was coming from now.

Here's a tip: When you create a thread asking for opinions, try not to make snarky and disparaging comments in response to people with theories that differ from your own.

It's fine to have your own working theory, but Jerome is correct, anything other than "It's a super rare manufacturing error" is met with an attitude.

Here's my opinion again. It's probably a manufacturing error. It's probably rare. Rarity doesn't make it desirable or valuable. It's ugly.

15 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Oh absolutely but what else is great is you can put anybody on ignore and then the person lurking with nothing better to do is wasting his time because he cannot troll me any longer lmaooo

Feel free to exercise that right with me. 

On 1/9/2020 at 3:23 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Well I’ll tell you it’s not a fake and I figured that would be a few peoples ideas. This came from a stack of 25 copies that were bought from a dollar bin before the Black error was even a thing. 

The black error was a "thing" very shortly after the book was published.

I certainly did not know about it and had no desire to try and make one.

I would collect with intention of someday selling...

I knew my artists and my story arcs.

Variants were fairly new and I found them to be cool.

My knowledge has grown exponentially since the 90’s and ow understand GPAs and market trends.

I simply  just considered my book at the time a bad printing and nothing more.

I only say this because it’s the honest part of the story on how I got this book and that it was never altered by me and why I believe it wasn’t altered by the shop owner.

Actually I’ve never seen a passable or decent fake for nobody has yet to successfully remove foil with any means of heat heat or chemical that had not severely damage the whole book and logos.

except a few nicely “black painted” covers that can easily be detected in person and in good lighting.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

I've been following this thread since it started and have no idea why it hasn't blown up yet.  We're looking at most of the ingredients to become a classic:

1 Dash of a Mildly-Hot Modern
5 Cups Variant/Error Claim
3 Tablespoons of Boardie Input/Assistance
10lbs of Snark (half to be carefully tenderized by edited posts)

Simmered on a Thursday, but baked through one Friday already...  Liberally add in more snark for additional flavor.

I guess all that's missing is a pinch of Tree-Fiddy's and a few claims of Pernts... then maybe a splash of recent, non-topical political banter.

Throw this into Comics General and we're sure to have a ^^

:popcorn:

4 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I've been following this thread since it started and have no idea why it hasn't blown up yet.  We're looking at most of the ingredients to become a classic:

1 Dash of a Mildly-Hot Modern
5 Cups Variant/Error Claim
3 Tablespoons of Boardie Input/Assistance
10lbs of Snark (half to be carefully tenderized by edited posts)

Simmered on a Thursday, but baked through one Friday already...  Liberally add in more snark for additional flavor.

I guess all that's missing is a pinch of Tree-Fiddy's and a few claims of Pernts... then maybe a splash of recent, non-topical political banter.

Throw this into Comics General and we're sure to have a ^^

:popcorn:

This was by far one of the most thoroughly robust Tongue in cheek cgc post commentaries I think I’ve ever seen.

Made my night!

44 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Apologies for my naïveness, aside from the gold and red covers how many other versions are there for this book? 

There is...

1. Red foil direct 

2. Red foil newsstand

3. Gold foil (retailer give away)

4. Silver foil Italian edition #0

5. Red foil Italian edition #0

Now as all foils have errors some rarer than others...

Black/Partial Black come from a Red foil print error

White comes from a Gold foil print error

There is another Red foil error that’s missing the rainbow webbing..forgot what cgc calls it.

This Silver print error obviously comes from a Red foil print error

51C4B882-57F7-40AA-B62F-1B63F6B9037F.jpeg

Edited by Shoomanfoo

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The black error was a "thing" very shortly after the book was published.

Which was also well before most people would have even considered offering the issue in a dollar bin.

1 hour ago, Shoomanfoo said:
2 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Apologies for my naïveness, aside from the gold and red covers how many other versions are there for this book? 

There is...

1. Red foil direct 

2. Red foil newsstand

3. Gold foil (retailer give away)

4. Silver foil Italian edition #0

5. Red foil Italian edition #0

Fixed, since "this book" is Venom: Lethal Protector #1 from Marvel and not just anything that looks kind of similar.

50 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Which was also well before most people would have even considered offering the issue in a dollar bin.

I don’t think it was “just offered in a dollar bin”

There was almost a full short box of Red foils and I thumbed threw a few and bought 25 copies. 

I was not aware I bought anything special at the moment and didn’t even notice until later.

this has been repeated a few times if you are actually following

I do not think the shop owner who was also a friend knew it was in his much overstocked VLP1 he was trying to unload.

to add for more understanding..

The owner Ralph was not really a comic collector and only had interest in making a buck 

he was a card guy. The comic shop was a Sport Card business that was going under.

So I got lucky and even so I did not know myself for to me it was just a misprint comic I knew not much about desirability 

Edited by Shoomanfoo

For the people swearing that the foil errors were common knowledge in Feb 94...1 yr after it’s release

Please show me a sale of 800.00 or anywhere near that from 1994 of a Venom 1 foil error.

Show me and I’ll believe you 

because right now I call wildly_fanciful_statement

Bulls poop

Edited by Shoomanfoo

11 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

I don’t think it was “just offered in a dollar bin”

There was almost a full short box of Red foils and I thumbed threw a few and bought 25 copies. 

I was not aware I bought anything special at the moment and didn’t even notice until later.

this has been repeated a few times if you are actually following

I do not think the shop owner who was also a friend knew it was in his much overstocked VLP1 he was trying to unload.

to add for more understanding..

The owner Ralph was not really a comic collector and only had interest in making a buck 

he was a card guy. The comic shop was a Sport Card business that was going under.

So I got lucky and even so I did not know myself for to me it was just a misprint comic I knew not much about desirability 

You understand that the (U.S.) cover price of V:LP1 is $2.95, right? Almost nobody would have been even thinking about selling any copy of the issue for $1.00 until well after knowledge of the black error had been widely spread.

2 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

For the people swearing that the foil errors were common knowledge in Feb 94...1 yr after it’s release

Please show me a sale of 800.00 or anywhere near that from 1994 of a Venom 1 foil error.

Show me and I’ll believe you 

because right now I call wildly_fanciful_statement

Bulls poop

Show you how? Even any reported sales from that time period would have nothing to show.

And what's so important about the number 800?

14 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You understand that the (U.S.) cover price of V:LP1 is $2.95, right? Almost nobody would have been even thinking about selling any copy of the issue for $1.00 until well after knowledge of the black error had been widely spread.

No I don’t understand I only know how much I bought them for and in my original bagged picture there is $1:50 price sticker on it.

dont really know what your trying to say except to assume I didn’t pay 1 buck a piece.

well whatever floats your boat good sir.

remember what they say about people that assume ;)

01FCC4BA-1618-43DE-B821-DB63A4D7EDB8.jpeg

Edited by Shoomanfoo