• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on buying Skottie Young art as an investment?
1 1

70 posts in this topic

Skottie is a local in my city and I frequently have the chance to buy his art at a decent price...lower than seen out in the market. I don't doubt his artistic ability, it is unique, but it's not my cup of tea. My questions is let's say if I can grab some art (Commissions/Pages) for a decent price is there room for his value to grow much more in the next couple years or is he already at a ceiling?

37 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Skottie is a local in my city and I frequently have the chance to buy his art at a decent price...lower than seen out in the market. I don't doubt his artistic ability, it is unique, but it's not my cup of tea. My questions is let's say if I can grab some art (Commissions/Pages) for a decent price is there room for his value to grow much more in the next couple years or is he already at a ceiling?

There is room. Buy his best examples- enjoy it and hold it. You’ll do fine.

Quality over quantity.

If you buy his best examples, and can get them below what he asks on websites etc. you are probably getting a good deal. I would concentrate on the best interior published pages he has. 
Many artists thought of as “overrated“ etc. have their moment in the sun.

Do some research on his better regarded work and see if you can get a few pages. It helps if you find ones you like even if he is an acquired taste.

Just have fun. Don’t overspend. Grapeape always says put the work in, pull the trigger and enjoy.

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

^ This is always the case.

I started to write my own take on it, but I realized I've written something similar in reply to one of your threads previously, regarding a different artist. After seeing how that played out (among other threads) I'm just going to save my breath.
I hope it works out for you. I happened to like Skottie's work long before he became "Skottie Young, Marvel cover guy", and I would never have suggested anyone look to his work for investment.

But then, I'm in the camp that thinks buying work you don't love, simply to try and make a buck is about one of the worst things to do. Especially if you are having to ask a board of other art collectors if it is a good move.
I never see ANY art as investment. Somewhere to park chunks of money for a bit maybe, but I damn well better love it to make it even worth while. Investments are investments. Comic art strictly as investment is a fools errand, IMO.

I generally agree, although I have mixed thoughts on his work. I do want to add that not every artist whose work is excellent goes up in price. They usually have to get on (or help create) a popular book. I have also bought art occasionally that I did not love, or even like, because I liked the artist, and still am not thrilled with the purchase. 

14 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I wouldn't buy it if you don't enjoy the artwork. But, I do think he's got a pretty unique art niche and his most iconic stuff is going to go up in value. I'd stick with his I Hate Fairyland art, and his marvel covers.

16 hours ago, Blastaar said:

...is there room for his value to grow much more in the next couple years or is he already at a ceiling?

What's the flip situation currently? (I don't follow Skottie market at all.)

Are people making money (barely), making a lot of money, or losing money on purchases made not just recently but from 3-5 years ago?

If the answer is "(barely)" or "losing" recently and/or even going years back, on occasion - stay away for any reason other than direct enjoyment of the work.

If not Scottie.... which artists are the best investment opportunity ROI if you were to buy today and sell 5 years from now?

Inquiring minds want to know.... I'm guessing Mike Burkey says John Romita ; )

Edited by gumbydarnit

6 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

If not Scottie.... which artists are the best investment opportunity ROI if you were to buy today and sell 5 years from now?

Ditko. For a meager $60k investment you can probably flip it in a few years for $65k

10 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

It depends. It’s more character and book specific these days rather than artist centered. 

11 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

I think Ron Lim cosmic stuff is starting to take off. 

1 hour ago, gumbydarnit said:

I am banking on intact unrestored published hero covers from the 60s-90s with original title stats holding their value and the best examples (artist, character, content) continuing to rise.

They have been the bedrock of my collection, and the ones I have sold I keep seeing people making money off them 20 years later.

Edit, sorry, forgot art credits, Ed Hannigan pencils, Klaus Janson inks below on the DC cover.

This Skottie cover is asking $2000 on CAF.

DavidMARVEL ADVENTURES SPIDER-MAN #55 Cover Comic Art

1984 Hannigan Janson Batman Superman Cover Original Art World's Finest #302 Comic Art

Edited by aokartman
pic added, art credits

18 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

When did Batman turn into Iron Fist?!?

Around 1984, apparently.

My apologies for the thread hijack, I will do some Skottie Young research.

Added to previous post an available Skottie cover (not mine) on CAF.

David

Edited by aokartman

7 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I happened to like Skottie's work long before he became "Skottie Young, Marvel cover guy"...

He's got a deceptively simple style, and he's now sort of been pigeon-holed as the "baby style" guy, but it may surprise some to know which collectors are among his fans. Like Eric. Some with the most advanced eyes/tastes. They get it.

Unrelated...of all the comics creators I've gotten to know, Skottie is perhaps the smartest/savviest about his career and his market. I don't know about "room to grow" (and don't really care), but he's going to be around for a long, long time.