• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on buying Skottie Young art as an investment?
1 1

70 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

If not Scottie.... which artists are the best investment opportunity ROI if you were to buy today and sell 5 years from now?

Inquiring minds want to know.... I'm guessing Mike Burkey says John Romita ; )

It may not be an artist per se, but something like WALKING DEAD. And we won't know until it happens.

Independent of ROI, I definitely believe there are artists who are on the cusp of blowing up in popularity. Not going to name any because a. it will just seem self-serving, b. I don't want to come off like I'm playing favorites, and c. I'm not tipping my hand for guys I've got my eye on!

34 minutes ago, Nexus said:

He's got a deceptively simple style, and he's now sort of been pigeon-holed as the "baby style" guy, but it may surprise some to know which collectors are among his fans. Like Eric. Some with the most advanced eyes/tastes. They get it.

Unrelated...of all the comics creators I've gotten to know, Skottie is perhaps the smartest/savviest about his career and his market. I don't know about "room to grow" (and don't really care), but he's going to be around for a long, long time.

Agree with all of that 🥇

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

It may not be an artist per se, but something like WALKING DEAD. And we won't know until it happens.

Independent of ROI, I definitely believe there are artists who are on the cusp of blowing up in popularity. Not going to name any because a. it will just seem self-serving, b. I don't want to come off like I'm playing favorites, and c. I'm not tipping my hand for guys I've got my eye on!

I'd look at maybe buying art from Umbrella Academy by Gabriel Ba. If you can find it.

19 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

I like Skottie's work a lot. I own two minor pieces - a Sugar and Spike sketch and a page from an OZ book. The former is a con sketch (I rolled doubles on the first try), but Scottie had never heard of S&S (heathen! :) ) so it's very off model. The latter I bought because I liked the way he used digital and physical on the page. Dorothy is standing in front of a map that was added to the page. I mention this just to show that I do like his work.

image.thumb.png.f52142a57ce7bd36967737c59d4d34ab.pngimage.png.941b446ee22d822dcb9f42a3d8aa0cba.png

All of that said, I don't bet on the come with comic art work. If I don't like it, I don't buy it. I think that on the whole betting on art as an investment is a bad idea. There are, of course, cases where money is made, but guessing who will last? I can't do that.

Great story Alex,

I wonder what he might have done with Calvin and Hobbes for $200!

David

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

Great story Alex,

David

That is a great idea!! My guess is it would look charming and mischievous.

There is only one Bill Watterson of course. However I’ve gotten a kick out of other artists tackling C & H. The love and devotion to the theme is obvious in many examples I’ve seen.

So David...or somebody go get Skottie to conjur up C & H. Surely he knows who they are???

Then let’s me know when you post it!

Don’t you guys love how grapeape spends your money.. haha!

its for your own good. 🍇  🦍

20 hours ago, aokartman said:

Great story Alex,

David

If he were on Jeopardy and the answer was "Sheldon Mayer's greatest creations," he'd lose. :)

While I think Skottie is extremely talented, extremely popular, and neither of those facts are likely to change any time soon … I would substitute the word “gamble” in place of “investment” when considering buying his art for potential future gains. Also, substitute most other artists along these lines, this is not just Skottie. If your collecting budget allows for stocking away art as a gamble for future profit/trade bait, etc., by all means consider that as part of your collecting strategy. But I would advise against using “investment” as a rationale as that is a slippery slope that doesn’t usually meet with expectations. This is what I have learned from many years of collecting many different things. My .02

Another problem I have with investing in Skottie's art is that his covers are cute, but I'd think that the audience for these "cute" covers is very limited. They're always variant covers and never the main covers and variant covers hardly ever perform on the secondary market as well as the regular cover (not as many people ever get them because they are "limited"). In my opinion, I don't think that there would be much ROI - at least for a few years.

^ This is only if you are evaluating the Marvel superhero work (which I expect many people gravitate to because they love characters more than art and artists).

It is worth reiterating Skottie also is involved in his own creator owned work, and they are absolutely not "always variant covers and never the main covers".

I still say buying more or less any art as investment is dumb move. Somewhere to park your money that you can enjoy? Absolutely. If you get a return on that money over decades of enjoyment, bonus! But investment only? There's generally better avenues for that.