• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on buying Skottie Young art as an investment?
1 1

70 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

If the price is the same/greater than an amount you'd miss if you lost your wallet: it's an investment :)

I don't think that's true, but maybe we're defining investment differently.

1 hour ago, NewCollector101 said:

Thanks, that's good stuff to keep in mind. Right now I'm just interested in work I want to see on my wall, I get the impression that buying for investment is kind of a crapshoot anyway, but maybe further down the line when I'm more knowledgeable I'll feel differently. Also if I look at something amazing that I got for cheap, that feels really satisfying, I don't know if I could enjoy work the same way if I knew I'd paid a lot for it. But I got really excited by the talk about SY's brush work, that kind of thing is really interesting to me.

If you are using disposable income then stick with what you want to see on your wall. Educate yourself as stated earlier and your tastes may change but that is to be expected. Do NOT worry about what everyone else is buying except to maybe check out the comic or published work and see if you also like it, but comic art collectors seem overly obsessed with other comic art collectors and what everyone else has or is getting and that way lies only pain. Over time you will grow to know your fellow collectors and who is your direct competition or who shares your tastes but do buy into the "true fan" arguments you see everywhere or feel that for some reason others can tell what is "good" better than you can - everyone's good is different and just work on your own "good" stuff and you'll build a collection you enjoy. There are some who like precision and technique and some who want energy and spontaneity and most are some somewhere in between so only you can decide what does it for you. This hobby encompasses everyone from Skottie Young to Robert Crumb to Geof Darrow to Bill Sienkiewicz to Moebius to Sam Kieth et cetera et cetera et cetera - there is no arbiter of taste. Just pay attention and keep at it. If you last more than 5 years you are in the minority and if you last over 10 years you will certainly find totally new things to love.

These boards are a great place to learn as well. You can search on google and get better results than searching here...for instance searching - overrated artists cgc boards - turns some things up. You can read opinions on art and artists and see what makes sense to you. Or find out how much a third leg bothers, or doesn't bother, different collectors!

5 hours ago, NewCollector101 said:

Thanks, that's good stuff to keep in mind. Right now I'm just interested in work I want to see on my wall, I get the impression that buying for investment is kind of a crapshoot anyway, but maybe further down the line when I'm more knowledgeable I'll feel differently. Also if I look at something amazing that I got for cheap, that feels really satisfying, I don't know if I could enjoy work the same way if I knew I'd paid a lot for it. But I got really excited by the talk about SY's brush work, that kind of thing is really interesting to me.

same, buy it because you love it. 

I think Felix hit the nail on the head earlier when he said that if you don't love it, then you're just tying up capital in something you don't love. I'd hate to tie up 10k in a pile of pieces for eventual flip, and then 3 months later see a piece that makes me squeal... only to remember that i cant buy it, and then eventually miss out on the opportunity that i really did want. 

I think it's truly impossible to fully ignore the idea of the value of your art. But when the value is only money... I think their are investments out there that are less apt to give you a heart attack lol 

For the love of comics :) 

On 1/17/2020 at 5:25 AM, NewCollector101 said:

Sort of off-topic, but I'm really interested in learning about things like this and building a more sophisticated appreciation for the art, what would I look for to learn more?

Read all these articles ;)

https://comicbookinvest.com/category/original-art-aficionado/page/9/

On 1/17/2020 at 3:19 PM, Bird said:

If you are using disposable income then stick with what you want to see on your wall. Educate yourself as stated earlier and your tastes may change but that is to be expected. Do NOT worry about what everyone else is buying except to maybe check out the comic or published work and see if you also like it, but comic art collectors seem overly obsessed with other comic art collectors and what everyone else has or is getting and that way lies only pain. Over time you will grow to know your fellow collectors and who is your direct competition or who shares your tastes but do buy into the "true fan" arguments you see everywhere or feel that for some reason others can tell what is "good" better than you can - everyone's good is different and just work on your own "good" stuff and you'll build a collection you enjoy. There are some who like precision and technique and some who want energy and spontaneity and most are some somewhere in between so only you can decide what does it for you. This hobby encompasses everyone from Skottie Young to Robert Crumb to Geof Darrow to Bill Sienkiewicz to Moebius to Sam Kieth et cetera et cetera et cetera - there is no arbiter of taste. Just pay attention and keep at it. If you last more than 5 years you are in the minority and if you last over 10 years you will certainly find totally new things to love.

These boards are a great place to learn as well. You can search on google and get better results than searching here...for instance searching - overrated artists cgc boards - turns some things up. You can read opinions on art and artists and see what makes sense to you. Or find out how much a third leg bothers, or doesn't bother, different collectors!

Well said, I have found my appreciation of the original art increases over time when I learn about back stories. 

It makes it personal, and this is a reason collectors like shows with artist appearances.

I haven't attended any major shows, but my limited contact with the artists at

local events has been informing.

Joe Staton told me he doesn't sell his E-MAN art, but I got a nice cover off the internet?

Granted, this was a later iteration.

Maybe I can send up a pic.  David

Click to embiggen.

emauser.jpg

Image.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pic note, pic added