• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay transaction advice

44 posts in this topic

I recently sold a book on eBay and the tracking shows it was delivered yesterday. The buyer has opened a case against me and basically said that while he doesn't blame me, he wants it on record with eBay. My first inclination is to just give a full refund as I would prefer to believe that the buyer isn't up to any shenanigans. Technically I don't have to give him a refund since it shows that it was delivered, but I know how I would feel if I were the buyer and I hate it when a seller tells me " sorry, not my fault".

Just curious how others would handle this situation.

Edited by Logan510

I have been on the other end.  I once bought a small group of comics (about 5), including a mid grade ASM 135.  A week later, it showed as delivered.  It was never delivered.  I wondered what to do because it wasn't the sellers fault.  The post office was NO help, as they show it as delivered so no harm no foul.  :facepalm:    In the end I just let it go because I knew I wouldn't win. 

4 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

I have been on the other end.  I once bought a small group of comics (about 5), including a mid grade ASM 135.  A week later, it showed as delivered.  It was never delivered.  I wondered what to do because it wasn't the sellers fault.  The post office was NO help, as they show it as delivered so no harm no foul.  :facepalm:    In the end I just let it go because I knew I wouldn't win. 

This is why I was a bit apprehensive about it, but when I called eBay I didn't even ask them to close the case they just told me flat out it was closed in my favor because it was marked as delivered.

19 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345

If a buyer reports that an item hasn't been received

If you ship an item within your stated handling time and provide tracking information to the buyer before you or the buyer asks us to step in to help with a request, you're protected.

Tracking information needs to include:

1. A delivery status of "delivered"
  2. The date of delivery
  3. The recipient's address that matches the one shown on the order details page
  4. Signature confirmation if an item has a total cost of $750 or more

You are awesome. Great customer service even if you are doing it for us outside of MCS.

Edited by JollyComics

Last fall I had a package (from MCS) that the USPS showed as delivered, but I didn't get it. USPS used their GPS to tell me that it had been delivered to the house on the other end of my street. So I walked on down and picked up my package.

I had another ebay package shown as delivered....to a house 75 miles south of us. USPS told me I was SOL on this, and that I wouldn't be getting the package. I contacted the seller and he refunded me. Four days later the package showed up in my mail box. So i refunded the seller.

Moral of the story: Make sure USPS tells you exactly where your package is. If it was marked as delivered, ask where.

I had a package shown as delivered one day, but didn't get it until the next.

My femailman informed me that when she was walking up to the door, a big buck came up out of the yard and challenged her.  She thought it was better to wait and live for another day - I agreed.  We've got really nasty town deer around here.

It was just weird to get a notification of delivered when it wasn't, but she usually does the delivery scanning while she is parked outside in the truck.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, Logan510 said:

I recently sold a book on eBay and the tracking shows it was delivered yesterday. The buyer has opened a case against me and basically said that while he doesn't blame me, he wants it on record with eBay. My first inclination is to just give a full refund as I would prefer to believe that the buyer isn't up to any shenanigans. Technically I don't have to give him a refund since it shows that it was delivered, but I know how I would feel if I were the buyer and I hate it when a seller tells me " sorry, not my fault".

Just curious how others would handle this situation.

can he still leave bad feedback?  If it was less than $50 typically I just refund without fighting.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

can he still leave bad feedback?  If it was less than $50 typically I just refund without fighting.

if a package shows delivered but the buyer never received it , then it could be that that a porch pirate stole it - that is not the sellers fault correct ?

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

if a package shows delivered but the buyer never received it , then it could be that that a porch pirate stole it - that is not the sellers fault correct ?

yes but just my personal way on ebay I would still issue refund under $50.

8 hours ago, evilskip said:

Last fall I had a package (from MCS) that the USPS showed as delivered, but I didn't get it. USPS used their GPS to tell me that it had been delivered to the house on the other end of my street. So I walked on down and picked up my package.

I had another ebay package shown as delivered....to a house 75 miles south of us. USPS told me I was SOL on this, and that I wouldn't be getting the package. I contacted the seller and he refunded me. Four days later the package showed up in my mail box. So i refunded the seller.

Moral of the story: Make sure USPS tells you exactly where your package is. If it was marked as delivered, ask where.

Didn’t know they could track the package to its exact location. How did you get them to do this for you?

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Please tell me you make them send you a copy of a police report at least? 

No-I just consider it cost of doing business and keep all customers happy.  It's extremely rare and I'm not gonna live or die based on $100.