Should my af15 get married?
0

21 posts in this topic

772 posts

So this comic....

Screenshot_20190512-134403_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6cee8f04c6310256f83b45d13edcfdab.jpg

Waited a long time to meet just the right page that he was missing and then finally found it...

Screenshot_20200111-171808_eBay.thumb.jpg.75b2845ae01121f33031812a4d45d758.jpg

But now isn't sure if it is worth it to unslab both and get married (fear of lower grade of they regrade, not sure if they can just reholder?)

So I guess I'm asking...with this being a 15k plus book, how much would regrading or reholdering cost with the insurance and I would just ask cgc to marry the two lovers. Should I do it? 

Or just keep both slabs? Again my main reluctance is fear of lower grade

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235 posts

Wouldnt you also lose the Signature Series?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,158 posts

Keep the 2 slabs together.  It's ok.  In this instance I think it's better to just leave em alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405 posts
39 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Keep the 2 slabs together.  It's ok.  In this instance I think it's better to just leave em alone.

An emphatic +1! Together, but apart, just friends.  Be adamant about it! Don't allow this marriage, and if they attempt to go over your head and elope, you make sure you're at the bottom of the ladder waiting to put the brakes on it!   (tsk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,234 posts

While I tend to agree with everyone to leave them alone, I think it is worth a conversation with CGC. If CGC/CCS is the one unslabbing a yellow label to add a missing page, why shouldn't it keep the yellow label? Do sig series lose their label if one reholders every few years? 

And married page is as Q as missing page, no? 

Unless you think it's overgraded at 2.5 (eg risk of grade going down) a change in note from incomplete to married has to at least be a little more desirable, though not necessarily much more valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,158 posts
21 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

While I tend to agree with everyone to leave them alone, I think it is worth a conversation with CGC. If CGC/CCS is the one unslabbing a yellow label to add a missing page, why shouldn't it keep the yellow label? Do sig series lose their label if one reholders every few years? 

And married page is as Q as missing page, no? 

Unless you think it's overgraded at 2.5 (eg risk of grade going down) a change in note from incomplete to married has to at least be a little more desirable, though not necessarily much more valuable.

I suppose if you have CCS deslab it then it will keep the SS designation.  But it's one thing to marry a wrap.... marry a wrap and you get a Green label.  To marry a page involves tape which might equal PLOD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,234 posts
15 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I suppose if you have CCS deslab it then it will keep the SS designation.  But it's one thing to marry a wrap.... marry a wrap and you get a Green label.  To marry a page involves tape which might equal PLOD.

Ah, ok....wasn't thinking that....I guess I was just thinking it would be inserted unattached. (shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,158 posts
6 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Ah, ok....wasn't thinking that....I guess I was just thinking it would be inserted unattached. (shrug)

is inserted unattached "married"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,158 posts
6 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

is inserted unattached "married"?

Well.... I guess if you add a cover without attaching they consider it married.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,234 posts
26 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

is inserted unattached "married"?

Yknow, I don't know....I thought married referred to combining pieces from more than one copy to obtain a complete copy, but I'm not sure whether physically attaching them together in some way is also part of the definition. But I wouldn't recommend doing that with the single page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405 posts
1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

To marry a page involves tape which might equal PLOD.

That's right. Tape (tsk)  , glue  :facepalm: , and not commonly known, worst of all, sorcery  :sick: , which although used to be hit and miss, CGC is now quite reliably able to detect the stray particles of pixie dust left behind! :pullhair:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,158 posts
10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

That's right. Tape (tsk)  , glue  :facepalm: , and not commonly known, worst of all, sorcery  :sick: , which although used to be hit and miss, CGC is now quite reliably able to detect the stray particles of pixie dust left behind! :pullhair:

I don't like the idea of "marrying" single pages because there's not a great way to do it.  Why not wait to get the full wrap so a true "marrying" can take place.  There are many individual wraps out there for sale for  AF15..... just wait for the full wrap you need instead of a using a single page.  (shrug)

In this case of the OPs comic.... either leave the two slabs alone, or IMO have CCS marry a full wrap to it so you can get the SS designation and also keep the Green label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
772 posts

It is my understanding that as long as I hand cgc the slab unopened it will retain its ss. They can then just insert the missing page and reslab it as having one "married" page even though it's not attached to the comic so as to avoid the PLOD and I can skip sending it to ccs.

I agree with leaving it alone as some suggested and just keep the two together but separated lol. 

Maybe I'll call cgc and ask if it can be just a reholder considering the circumstance. The page has the exact same pq as the rest of the book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
772 posts

If the page is just being placed in the book and not professionally reattached it wouldnt be considered restoration. 

And they will probably have to regrade but I'll ask tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405 posts
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 7:13 PM, gadzukes said:

Well.... I guess if you add a cover without attaching they consider it married.

No, that's not married. That's going steady. Just slipping the page in or inserting a part, or a whole coverless book into a cover without attaching it is like a wedding without the vows. Like Franken without the stein. 

Edited by James J Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,595 posts
14 hours ago, jason4 said:

If the page is just being placed in the book and not professionally reattached it wouldnt be considered restoration. 

And they will probably have to regrade but I'll ask tomorrow. 

yeah I would talk to someone at CGC and see what their response is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,782 posts
On 1/11/2020 at 9:56 PM, gadzukes said:

I suppose if you have CCS deslab it then it will keep the SS designation.  But it's one thing to marry a wrap.... marry a wrap and you get a Green label.  To marry a page involves tape which might equal PLOD.

FIRST OFF tape DOES NOT equal PLOD. TAPE IS NOT RESTORATION :baiting:

SECOND OFF... CCS will NOT TAPE ANYTHING. PERIOD.

IF you send the 2 slabs to CCS, they will remove both, insert the page and it will goto CGC with a loose page married into the book. 

It will NOT LOSE its Sig Series Status as long as CCS does this ALL. 

DO IT! Its already a GREEN QUALIFIED SIG .... put the book together and keep it GREEN SIG  but complete!

Edited by KryptoSpidey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,158 posts
43 minutes ago, KryptoSpidey said:

FIRST OFF tape DOES NOT equal PLOD. TAPE IS NOT RESTORATION :baiting:

SECOND OFF... CCS will NOT TAPE ANYTHING. PERIOD.

IF you send the 2 slabs to CCS, they will remove both, insert the page and it will goto CGC with a loose page married into the book. 

It will NOT LOSE its Sig Series Status as long as CCS does this ALL. 

DO IT! Its already a GREEN QUALIFIED SIG .... put the book together and keep it GREEN SIG  but complete!

I did not say CCS would tape it.  It was my "assumption" that to marry a single page you had to attach it to the other half of the wrap.

However, if everything you say in your post is true, then yes..... Send it in to CCS have them lay the page into the comic (hopefully it doesn't slip), keep the SS status, and have your comic in one slab. I love it.

Hopefully it won't cost too much for such a simple service.

If they want to charge you too much, then just keep the two slabs the way they are.

Edited by gadzukes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,782 posts
23 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I did not say CCS would tape it.  It was my "assumption" that to marry a single page you had to attach it to the other half of the wrap.

However, if everything you say in your post is true, then yes..... Send it in to CCS have them lay the page into the comic (hopefully it doesn't slip), keep the SS status, and have your comic in one slab. I love it.

Hopefully it won't cost too much for such a simple service.

If they want to charge you too much, then just keep the two slabs the way they are.

Right you didnt say CCS would tape it, you were referring to it being a PLOD and tape,ect. I was simply pointing out that if CCS removes both from their holders, 1st it would remain a signature series book, and second that TAPE will never equal PLOD, which wouldnt happen anyways with CCS as CCS will never tape a book, piece, page ect. (thumbsu2c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0