• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tec 29 ComicLink Auction ?

29 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, lhcomics said:

I agree that can't be conserved. 

I have a few books in the current Comic Linl auction you guys need to bid on.

Incredible Hull 181 CGC 4.5

Incredible Hull 340 CGC 9.8

Ewols 12 CGC 9.8

Darl Mysteries 21 CGC 5.0

Rool 1 CGC 9.8

Really you know what we really want

1838591717_.5BAT1SMALL.jpg.c95bdbd96f037d47c5f282a3bb34120f.jpg58ae1c21ee310_Det31(139x225).jpg.8de7dab51c831e121b64e13b09d8834f.jpg58ae1c2d15b2c_Det33cgcG-(141x225).jpg.289a60bbff677752ec0ff4eb8c5b6226.jpg^^:whee:

15 hours ago, Phill the Governor said:
21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it's really rather simple if you refer to this link from CGC itself which talks about Restoration and Conservation:

https://www.cgccomics.com/pdf/restoration-grading-scale-handout.pdf

As CGC themselves clearly state in big bold type right at the top, "Restoration is one of the most complicated, misunderstood aspects of grading comic books".

If fact, so much so, that CGC themselves often gets confused between what constitutes Restoration from what constitutes Conservation.  doh!  lol

Looks like from their own breakdowns and definitions, married interior pages or married covers clearly falls under their Restoration umbrella. :whistle:

This is technically incorrect, according to their most revised grading standard.

Again:  I did the conservation work on the Tec 29.

Marriage, if done with other work that is all archival and reversible, falls under the umbrella of conservation with a notation on the label of the marriage. It's pretty straightforward.

If there were color touch, or extensive pieces added, or a chemical cleaning, it would be restored with a marriage notation. CGC isn't trying to hide anything, they are trying to educate and let people know that there is a difference between archival techniques vs amateur non-reversible work, and that using original parts is counted as conservation - which it should be. Just like using vintage period-correct staples in a book that aren't original - that is also conservation. They are both original parts of other books, not completely re-created pieces.

I never said that CGC was trying to hide anything here with respect to their Restoration and Conservation processes.  If what you are saying is indeed accurate, then CGC themselves might be adding to this whole confusion between what constitues restoration as opposed to conservation.  If so, they really need to update their website along with the detailed write-up which they did for the Overstreet Price Guide this year.  Especially when they clearly state that both married covers and married interior pages falls under Restoration while some cover and interior cleaning (both water and solvent) are considered as Conservation repairs.  (shrug)

It would be fantastic if you could provide us with a link to CGC's revised Restoration Grading Standard since I can't seem to find it.  No doubt because I am not the most computer literate  person around and probably technically challenged in this area when it comes to searching things out. :facepalm:  

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I never said that CGC was trying to hide anything here with respect to their Restoration and Conservation processes.  If what you are saying is indeed accurate, then CGC themselves might be adding to this whole confusion between what constitues restoration as opposed to conservation.  If so, they really need to update their website along with the detailed write-up which they did for the Overstreet Price Guide this year.  Especially when they clearly state that both married covers and married interior pages falls under Restoration while some cover and interior cleaning (both water and solvent) are considered as Conservation repairs.  (shrug)

It would be fantastic if you could provide us with a link to CGC's revised Restoration Grading Standard since I can't seem to find it.  No doubt because I am not the most computer literate  person around and probably technically challenged in this area when it comes to searching things out. :facepalm:  

Yes, they need to update their website, and until they do this will continue to cause confusion. 

I had simply seen some already graded books with the same notation and let my client know it seemed possible for the Tec 29. 

It is also correct that cleanings are conservation or restoration, depending on what was done.

16 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

Yes, they need to update their website, and until they do this will continue to cause confusion. 

+1

They most definitely do.  (thumbsu

17 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

I had simply seen some already graded books with the same notation and let my client know it seemed possible for the Tec 29. 

:applause:

17 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

It is also correct that cleanings are conservation or restoration, depending on what was done.

I assume the type of water or solvent cleaning that Mark Wilson used to do back in the day must now be good to go (i.e. no longer the nasty PLOD Restoration, but now considered to be the more acceptable quasi blue/grey Conservation) since he has been a prominent member of Heritage's consignment staff from around the start of 2019.  (: