• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UK PRICE STAMP ON AMERICAN COMICS
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Hi all.  I'm wondering what sort of effect those purple 'frank' type UK price stamps have on US comics value.  In other words a standard US Marvel comic that's been stamped after being printed - NOT the UK pence price variant that was done on the initial print run.

If otherwise mint would that kind of stamp reduce a comic to say FN..?  Assuming the stamp is in a discrete place and not bang across Spidey's face etc.

tilleysvintagemagazinessheffield24072018

thanks
Mike

Edited by mike devon
extra detail

Thanks everyone.  The nearest I can see to value reduction is about 25% - do you guys think that's about right..?

I quite like the stamps myself if they aren't overly intrusive.  I think an otherwise very smart key would do OK..?

Here's another point:  would this type of stamp devalue less than an actual pence variant..?  I think it would..?

Edited by mike devon
sloppy syntax

14 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

TAP stamps are so nostalgic for many British collectors.

Happy memories of mid-70s DCs for me.

I love the Miller ones Ken. 

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I love the Miller ones Ken. 

I'll be honest.  At first I thought you meant Frank Miller's Daredevils, which were 12p All-Colour Comics, unstamped, and then I suddenly recalled what you were talking about.   doh!

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Thanks everyone.  The nearest I can see to value evaluation is about 25% - do you guys think that's about right..?

I quite like the stamps myself if they aren't overly intrusive.  I think an otherwise very smart key would do OK..?

Here's another point:  would this type of stamp devalue less than an actual pence variant..?  I think it would..?

I've answered this type of question a few times now Mike and there's no generic rule I'm afraid. It all depends on the comic's condition, the stamp type and placement, the buyer / collector and the significance of the comic. There are too many variables at play. But that said, at the highest level, in my experience, most collectors pay less for, and desire less, UK price stamped copies most of the time. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'll be honest.  At first I thought you meant Frank Miller's Daredevils, which were 12p All-Colour Comics, unstamped, and then I suddenly recalled what you were talking about.  

Sorry Ken, yes, Len not Frank!

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've answered this type of question a few times now Mike and there's no generic rule I'm afraid. It all depends on the comic's condition, the stamp type and placement, the buyer / collector and the significance of the comic. There are too many variables at play. But that said, at the highest level, in my experience, most collectors pay less for, and desire less, UK price stamped copies most of the time. 

Sure I understand.  I think if its a nice book you could do OK but it might take a long time to sell.  I find it surprising that it doesn't seem that widely discussed.

8 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Sure I understand.  I think if its a nice book you could do OK but it might take a long time to sell.  I find it surprising that it doesn't seem that widely discussed.

Welcome to my world Mike...

On 1/14/2020 at 9:34 PM, mike devon said:

In an ideal world, it wouldn't make any difference because the stamps are part of the distribution process rather than say, a kid writing his name on all of his comics to stop his brother from pinching them.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:13 AM, mike devon said:

If otherwise mint would that kind of stamp reduce a comic to say FN..?

An interesting question & I'm sure I've heard somewhere that graders don't consider date stamps or distributor stamps when grading because they're part of the process of getting the comics to the readers. Or did I just make that up... :whistle:

27 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

As far as grading goes, I think CGC treats them the same as a date stamp. Anyone from CGC care to weigh in on this officially?

I 'asked CGC' a while back and they deleted the message:

stamps.png.c743ad50950d896e84bb29893ad307ed.png

The last four 'ask CGC' messages I have sent have all been deleted as it goes.  

17 minutes ago, Jaylam said:
3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I 'asked CGC' a while back and they deleted the message:

stamps.png.c743ad50950d896e84bb29893ad307ed.png

The last four 'ask CGC' messages I have sent have all been deleted as it goes.  

spockfascinating.jpg

spock-logic.jpg

:download::flipbait:Wild Thang!

34 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

spockfascinating.jpgspock-logic.jpg

Yes, it is. I asked about recognising Marvel L Miller indicias, and they deleted it after 2 weeks of sitting there pending approval. I asked about the minimum amount they would grade (less than a page?) and they deleted that too after two weeks pending. I asked about the stamps above, deleted. And I asked how an internal printing error would be handled. On that, I got a reply which stayed as pending. And then they deleted it so I have no record of it should I submit the book in question.

I won't be asking any more questions.

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, it is. I asked about recognising Marvel L Miller indicias, and they deleted it after 2 weeks of sitting there pending approval. I asked about the minimum amount they would grade (less than a page?) and they deleted that too after two weeks pending. I asked about the stamps above, deleted. And I asked how an internal printing error would be handled. On that, I got a reply which stayed as pending. And then they deleted it so I have no record of it should I submit the book in question.

I won't be asking any more questions.

You must have went over your quota before you asked the first question!

8 hours ago, Jaylam said:

You must have went over your quota before you asked the first question!

Maybe they should rename the forum to 'Don't Ask CGC' :)

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe they should rename the forum to 'Don't Ask CGC' :)

More like ‘Ask CGC And We’ll Delete Your Question’.

I can understand why they wouldn’t want to answer questions about what goes into grading (well, I should specify that I don’t understand, but they are consistent about that) but the other questions?  Odd.