• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic distribution in the 40s & 50s
2 2

79 posts in this topic

I wonder if the no price are ones that came in the boxed sets?I think @Marty Mann posted an image recently

Edit,okay,so I read the rest of the thread and I will be wearing my ribbons of shame for the rest of the day.

Edited by porcupine48

8 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I wonder if the no price are ones that came in the boxed sets?I think @Marty Mann posted an image recently

My copies of #13 & #16 have no price on the cover and were purchased at W.T. GRANTS.

Marty

The gift boxes I've seen had HRN's between 18 and 21 with no price. Most of my no price issues are HRN28 The Mutiny on the Bounty issue above came with the Classic Record, and the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was a twin circle put out by the Catechetical Guild 

12 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

My copies of #13 & #16 have no price on the cover and were purchased at W.T. GRANTS.

Marty

Do you think it's possible they came from a box that was damaged or returned and the interiors sold off Marty?

4 minutes ago, Montezuma said:

The Mutiny on the Bounty issue above came with the Classic Record, 

As a record and comic collector this intrigues me! I love finding the two together!

16 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Do you think it's possible they came from a box that was damaged or returned and the interiors sold off Marty?

As a record and comic collector this intrigues me! I love finding the two together!

It is very possible that the first twenty titles were removed from their boxes and sold as singles.

Marty

23 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Marty

So Marty I know this is a reach on your memory, but do you recall what you paid for each of those issues? 10 cents, 15 cents?

23 minutes ago, fifties said:

So Marty I know this is a reach on your memory, but do you recall what you paid for each of those issues? 10 cents, 15 cents?

Ten Cents was the price, all the comics on the W.T. Grants comic book rack were ten cents.

Marty

Edited by Marty Mann

3 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Miracle of miracles, I stumbled across one of the aforementioned order forms this past weekend (I would've thought them buried for much, much longer). 

I'm guessing this was a smaller newsstand - Cerres Confectionery? - but I hope the relative number of copies ordered is of interest to the casual comic historians among you. 

Strange that I don't see Superman listed, but this group was stapled together so I'm hopeful no sheets were missing. I'll cross-check with one of the other receipt bundles when I find it. 

49657948.8ad0ceb2.1024.jpg

49657950.63991038.1024.jpg

49657952.74e7d69f.1024.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I was looking to have answered when I started this thread.  VERY interesting.  Looking at the totals for each comic really lets you know what was popular at the newstand.

Thanks for posting!

3 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Strange that I don't see Superman listed, but this group was stapled together so I'm hopeful no sheets were missing. I'll cross-check with one of the other receipt bundles when I find it. 

He had Action listed.  I wonder if he thought that was enough, and just went with one issue for Superman?

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

This is EXACTLY what I was looking to have answered when I started this thread.  VERY interesting.  Looking at the totals for each comic really lets you know what was popular at the newstand.

Thanks for posting!

I'm glad there was finally a reason for saving them all these years! I've probably had them for forty years. Now all I have to do is convince my wife of the utility of having all the other stuff...  :idea:

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

I'm glad there was finally a reason for saving them all these years! I've probably had them for forty years. Now all I have to do is convince my wife of the utility of having all the other stuff...  :idea:

Buy her flowers every week for a year