• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need your advice from old timers.

18 posts in this topic

I need your advice old timers....I'm a bronze age collector and have now much limited space...so I have built up a shelf of cinder blocks and boards to host my comic boxes....my worry is that the heater vent in my room blows on some of the lower boxes so i'm worried that will degrade my comics even though they are boxed, boarded and bagged....I feel and know i'm doing the wrong thing but ran out of space....any advice for the hoarder comic collector who still can manage?   Also, anyone know about comic book insurance?   I have no clue...please help on the full Monte or in part...will double check all feedback but thanks!

7 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Got a pic of your setup? 

My concern is heater vent blowing on comic boxes lifted off the floor by 2 inches.....any id on insurance as well?   Not long standing issue as winter just hit but need advice before its too late

30 minutes ago, Tarn Kronos said:

My concern is heater vent blowing on comic boxes lifted off the floor by 2 inches.....any id on insurance as well?   Not long standing issue as winter just hit but need advice before its too late

https://collectinsure.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAx_DwBRAfEiwA3vwZYrLvVwLNbDmaGYl1uh0vYpLwf440SpETcwK1dYO9BZJ8iryLVi4paxoCo_gQAvD_BwE

I don't view Broze age as particularly old and believe that the grading of books in that era and newer have to be extremely good quality to present value. It is my belief that comics don't do well in places where the temperature varies a lot. Cold and dry is what I would look for. Be careful not to stack any splnes in such a way as to introduce any roll. There are books with good value in Bronze but not a lot. It always seems like there's one per decade. If bagged books hang out close to the end of the shelf they can be more subject to temperature changes and will very possibly become discolored. 

5 hours ago, Tarn Kronos said:

My comic insurance company requires my books to be stored 6" above the floor, because I store my comics in our basement.

in general you want to keep books away from heat sources and in rooms cool, dry and dark. you might always want to try to keep them in a stable temperature environment. I personally would try to re-locate them and maybe try using a cheap plastic shelving storage system you can get at local hardware store home dept., etc... instead of the cinderblocks not sure of the damage that could occur from the cinderblocks but they tend to remain really cold specially in the winter and could create more moisture in the spring when they thaw etc.. not much insulation there.. also not 100% sure but the chemicals in the cement mixture might affect the book not sure just guessing but I would research it a bit more.

18 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

It gets worse, not particularly valuable either. 

I do not remember the question of $$$ value ever coming up, he did ask about insurance, comic books can be valuable to someone for more than $$$ reasons...Enjoyment, Memories, Sentimental Value and if you have Time/Effort/Devotion invested in your collection and it is important to you then why not insure especially considering the small cost of premiums.

He obviously enjoys Bronze Age books and that is why he collects them, all that was asked was, are his books going to be stored properly as to not sustain any damage with the space/environment he has available to him.

There is NO WRONG WAY to collect. :preach:

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

I do not remember the question of $$$ value ever coming up, he did ask about insurance, comic books can be valuable to someone for more than $$$ reasons...Enjoyment, Memories, Sentimental Value and if you have Time/Effort/Devotion invested in your collection and it is important to you then why not insure especially considering the small cost of premiums.

He obviously enjoys Bronze Age books and that is why he collects them, all that was asked was, are his books going to be stored properly as to not sustain any damage with the space/environment he has available to him.

There is NO WRONG WAY to collect. :preach:

with one exception unless your collecting to do this...… :frustrated::pullhair::screwy:

5202296_orig.jpg

I don't think insurance would cover this sort of slow (sped up by heat) degradation. If something suddenly exploded and destroyed everything, maybe.

I shut the radiator off in my comic room to avoid it getting too hot or potentially leaking/spitting hot water/steam (it is also behind a bunch of non-comic stuff). It is perfectly pleasant up there during the winter as the radiator in the room below creates enough heat to take the chill out (I also like it cold anyway). I also always have the curtains down to avoid sunlight.

21 hours ago, Krismusic said:

with one exception unless your collecting to do this...… :frustrated::pullhair::screwy:

5202296_orig.jpg

DO NOT read this if you are prone to nightmares or are afraid of the END of the world as we know it.

You do know that comic books are the "scourge of the earth" and the main cause of all Crime/War/Pestilence and Hatred, actually I think they are mentioned in "Revelations", all of this was recently brought to light by a noted psychiatrist who cannot be wrong, so we must destroy the comic books before they destroy us.  :preach: :whatthe:  :eek:

:roflmao: 

I took too long responding to all your serious and funny comments....thank you.    My research determines that I can't afford insurance as I'm unemployed with no money in the bank...TMI I know.    So, since the post I did remove the comics near the heater vent to another area a foot or so away.  I joined CGC as a paid member now and hope to get more graded, re-slabbed, pressed/cleaned, and reholderd/pressed.   The market dropped on our books but i'm planning to fix what I have and keep an eye on cheap books that come my way.   The reason I am a "Bronze" age collector is because I was a kid back then so I have all my stuff and they have memories....but I know I will have to sell them so CGC is the way I will proceed when that happens....so in the next 10 years my plan is to finish grading my books that boost in value from doing it....the math I'm using is FMV from GO Collect vs RAW using various sources, analysing cost of book, insurance, shipping, pressing, grading, and reholdering and all the different combo's for each book.   most of my books were unbagged and stacked in various boxes for over 20 years and not in primo shape....so not so many will pass this cost test....even when they do pass the cost test I'm going to have a really hard time letting them go.....someone send me a link on psych help needed to sell something that is part of your ID and past?   Yes...some not all....but everytime I go through them I not only see the book and story, I see me and the world through different eyes in the 80's and 70's.    So fun to have a hobby that preserves our past.   Thanks guys/girls  I hope you make it out your shelter soon healthy and rearing to go.    Thank you all. 

6 minutes ago, Tarn Kronos said:

someone send me a link on psych help needed to sell something

with these uncertain times and being broke is all the motivation you need to part with these books ... and you may even be able to buy them again down the road years from now at less then you sell them for today

10 minutes ago, Tarn Kronos said:

Yes...some not all....but everytime I go through them I not only see the book and story, I see me and the world through different eyes in the 80's and 70's. 

funny that i bought comics from that same era off the racks when i was a teen but i have no sentimental value for them , and in reality when i was buying Bronze comics off the racks i would dream about being able to get REAL comics from the golden age !!!  but of course there was no eBay , there was literally no way to get any of those golden age books i could only dream about back then , there was rumors that one of the kids from our neighborhood had a way older brother who had a stack of golden age , but that was just a distant dream

thank God these days anyone and everyone can now  get great golden age comics from eBay

20 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

funny that i bought comics from that same era off the racks when i was a teen but i have no sentimental value for them , and in reality when i was buying Bronze comics off the racks i would dream about being able to get REAL comics from the golden age !!!  but of course there was no eBay , there was literally no way to get any of those golden age books i could only dream about back then , there was rumors that one of the kids from our neighborhood had a way older brother who had a stack of golden age , but that was just a distant dream

thank God these days anyone and everyone can now  get great golden age comics from eBay

Golden Age?   nah....I was a Marvel KId...LOL   I had dreams of silver age...LOL