• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlas Combat #5 Manufacturing defects?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I received the book today and am aware of the defects that seller described.

Upon the inspection, it looks like the manufacturing defects like I have two 1950's era comic books (only top edges) but not this book.  Luckly, none of the art and story were interrupted.  Only first half of wraps have chipped or torn side edges before the centerfold.  The cover is fine.  Just pages.  6 wraps.

Let you be judge them if they are manufacturing defects or not.  Thanks for your advice.

The pictures are here:

IMG_6861.thumb.JPG.4bfa06aef662c4974dcefdd09baf8f81.JPG

IMG_6862.thumb.JPG.25f0d1bb4181bb98c28fe7734ec9b5bc.JPG

IMG_6863.thumb.JPG.ea248cfde6bd00e4c315b2309f1f4ad9.JPG

IMG_6864.thumb.JPG.16c4612445b5fe22449269d0e7c1d452.JPG

IMG_6865.thumb.JPG.7091d24ba28ce16262de523c47e805d6.JPG

interesting to see what others think but from my amateur experience wouldn't manufacturing tears like that be more uniform through the pages? as page 1 has it in the middle page 2 has it at top and page 3 half of the top? I would assume there be some kind of consistency but could be totally wrong. 

:popcorn:

On 1/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, JollyComics said:

Hello everybody,

I received the book today and am aware of the defects that seller described.

Upon the inspection, it looks like the manufacturing defects like I have two 1950's era comic books (only top edges) but not this book.  Luckly, none of the art and story were interrupted.  Only first half of wraps have chipped or torn side edges before the centerfold.  The cover is fine.  Just pages.  6 wraps.

Let you be judge them if they are manufacturing defects or not.  Thanks for your advice.

The pictures are here:

IMG_6861.thumb.JPG.4bfa06aef662c4974dcefdd09baf8f81.JPG

IMG_6862.thumb.JPG.25f0d1bb4181bb98c28fe7734ec9b5bc.JPG

IMG_6863.thumb.JPG.ea248cfde6bd00e4c315b2309f1f4ad9.JPG

IMG_6864.thumb.JPG.16c4612445b5fe22449269d0e7c1d452.JPG

IMG_6865.thumb.JPG.7091d24ba28ce16262de523c47e805d6.JPG

I've seen that defect on other Atlas books, but that doesn't explain how it got there.  It does seem production related, but there's no way to tell. 

My money would be on it being a printing defect. The covers were printed separately I believe, so it could be a printer chipping type of situation on the internal pages. What occurs to me is how well the book is preserved overall - it's been looked after it seems. So under what circumstances would someone carefully tear random bits of the interior pages away from an otherwise well looked after comic? That makes no sense. 

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

My money would be on it being a printing defect. The covers were printed separately I believe, so it could be a printer chipping type of situation on the internal pages. What occurs to me is how well the book is preserved overall - it's been looked after it seems. So under what circumstances would someone carefully tear random bits of the interior pages away from an otherwise well looked after comic? That makes no sense. 

Just spitballing here but I can think of a few reason why a kid might tear random strips off the edges of his comic.

41 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Just spitballing here but I can think of a few reason why a kid might tear random strips off the edges of his comic.

:eek:

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Uh-oh.   A dealer sold me the incomplete copy few months ago. He mentioned one book that had siamese wraps that were cut by scissors.  That copy has a major miscut so two wraps were not cut properly.  First it was a manufacturing error then the handler separated them.  It's a 50/50 call but I hope my Combat #5 is handler-free.