• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Raw Return not allowed - cgc counts as “altered “
2 2

163 posts in this topic

buyer wanted to return a "purchased raw" book to me, 3 days short of the 30 day return policy eBay has to protect buyers ( MY Paypal balance! ) He just got his book back from CGC -- I Sold it as a RAW 9 something, CGC Certified it was a 9 something --- it was the "something" part that didn't exactly match - really, really close, but not exact --- HOWEVER -- here's the point!

I called eBay / spoke to someone --- and said the seller "altered the state of the item, as now its permanently encapsulated in a sealed holder."

I won the case on appeal~ ( 'altered item' can block / prevent a return --- :whistle:)

Edited by showcase4

37 minutes ago, showcase4 said:

hope for raw Comic Sellers like me!

buyer wanted to return a "purchased raw" book to me, 3 days short of the 30 day return policy eBay has to protect buyers ( MY Paypal balance! ) He just got his book back from CGC -- I Sold it as a RAW 9 something, CGC Certified it was a 9 something --- it was the "something" part that didn't exactly match - really, really close, but not exact --- HOWEVER -- here's the point!

I called eBay / spoke to someone --- and said the seller "altered the state of the item, as now its permanently encapsulated in a sealed holder."

I won the case on appeal~ ( 'altered item' can block / prevent a return --- :whistle:)

Oh this is brilliant!!!!!!!

@Buzzetta

Did they want to return it still in the case and you had to pay for having it graded? 

If buyers can return a book after 2 months that you sell as a 9.4 and it comes back 9.2 then the whole system falls apart.  Especially if the book may come back 9.4 after a resub or a 9.6 if sent to the other guys (example only).  Definetely makes it more enticing to just call a book high grade with big scans.

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Did you put in your listing that you're not a professional grader? 

:baiting:

No but he did say "CGC it" lol 

246910734_Screenshot2019-10-24at8_52_19PM.png.0d236cdf0bc69b15d8cd9672d8b698ae.png

18 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Before I break out my pitchfork......what was your "something" and what was the CGC "something"?

And some people's definition of "really, really close, but not exact" is going to be different than other people's definition of "really, really close, but not exact".

If a seller sold a raw book as a 9.9 or even a 9.8.........and it came back from CGC as a 9.0......is everyone in here telling me they wouldn't be disappointed with that?  That's still a 9 something compared to a 9 something.......and I couldn't find "really, really close" in the Overstreet Grading Guide.  

Why are you not telling us what the actual grade was that you gave the book and what CGC graded it at?  If it was "really, really close", then there shouldn't be a reason for you not to post the actual grades.

A few years back i bought a book advertised as 9.0 on Ebay and sent it to CGC the same day i got it, Express as it was a $1000+/- book and it came back a CGC 7.5 a week later...

I asked for a return and refund, i'd eat the $100 +/- CGC fees and send it back CGC graded and everything to the seller. A dispute was filed,ect....and in the end, they too claimed it's not in the same condition,yada,yada,yada...

Ebay heard what i had to say, that the difference between a 7.5 at $200 +/- and a 9.0 at $1000+ /- was reason enough to have it #3rd party certified, and the item wasnt "altered" but verified not to be what i "purchased as advertised" and i got my money back. They then filed a Paypal claim, went through the hoops again as they claimed "they" damaged the book removing it from the CGC slab, obviously to relist as a 9.0,yada yada....Paypal had none of that either and i got the original $1000 +/- i spent back, ate the $100 CGC fee.

So to the OP, i agree with this post more than any in the thread, was the difference in grade worth $50 or $1000 as a 9.0 or 9.8? as opposed to what YOU advertised it as?

Edited by KryptoSpidey

48 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

So you thought the sellers grade was ok when you received it raw?  If the grade was better than he listed it for would you have compensated him?  Of course not. Sound like Heads I win Tails you lose for the eBay seller. 

No i send everything i buy from Ebay to CGC immediately for just that reason. I didn't pay $1000 for a $250 book. He missed something, i missed something, CGC caught it, and a 7.5 is far from a 9.0, but instead of being a stand-up seller saying yeah thats not right, he said too bad, it's CGC graded now, not like i gave it to you. Which makes me think immediately, seller didn't miss anything, he knew....

I'll go tooth and nail with your points NOOB...:slapfight:

Edited by KryptoSpidey

17 minutes ago, showcase4 said:

my ENTIRE point gets lost here, if this turns into "why did I advertise a 9.8 that's a 9.6 at CGC?"

the POINT is -- justice was done! If you want a CGC graded book -- you have to PAY for it. You're ALWAYS rolling the dice when you buy RAW, and plan to grade. Can't have your cake and eat it, too!  CGC Certified books sell for lets say 300%+ of what the "claimed raw equivalent" sells for in many cases? - there's a reason for that - CERTAINTY and LIQUIDITY.

+/- a grade is acceptable. 3 grades or more off is wrong. If thats the case, YOU or anyone else shouldnt be selling raw books advertised as X coming back as Y. PERIOD

19 minutes ago, showcase4 said:

my ENTIRE point gets lost here, if this turns into "why did I advertise a 9.8 that's a 9.6 at CGC?"

the POINT is -- justice was done! If you want a CGC graded book -- you have to PAY for it. You're ALWAYS rolling the dice when you buy RAW, and plan to grade. Can't have your cake and eat it, too!  CGC Certified books sell for lets say 300%+ of what the "claimed raw equivalent" sells for in many cases? - there's a reason for that - CERTAINTY and LIQUIDITY.

Is this what happened?  Did you list the book as a 9.8 and CGC graded it as 9.6? 

You seem to be skirting around that issue a bit.  Because, my POINT is that your POINT might be irrelevant to many people based on what the actual grades were.

If these were the actual grades, then I certainly believe the buyer was being unreasonable and you deserved to win the case and have a valid POINT (capitalizing is fun!).