• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Raw Return not allowed - cgc counts as “altered “
2 2

163 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

So you thought the sellers grade was ok when you received it raw?  If the grade was better than he listed it for would you have compensated him?  Of course not. Sound like Heads I win Tails you lose for the eBay seller. 

I had 6 books i just sent to CGC that i had originally advertised as NM+ meaning 9.6ish....then sent them to CGC... ALL 6 just graded 9.8 WHITE at CGC. NOT 9.4..9.2...not even the 9.6 i advertised.... but 9.8. If you advertise books for sale, here or Ebay, if you are a CGC BOARD MEMBER, and it comes back any more than +/- a grade off, you should rethink your grading and advertising books as such. 2c

2 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Is this what happened?  Did you list the book as a 9.8 and CGC graded it as 9.6? 

You seem to be skirting around that issue a bit.  Because, my POINT is that your POINT might be irrelevant to many people based on what the actual grades were.

If these were the actual grades, then I certainly believe the buyer was being unreasonable and you deserved to win the case and have a valid POINT (capitalizing is fun!).  

Sure but it appears the case was won on appeal primarily because the seller claimed the item was now "permanently encapsulated"....I can sympathize with sellers getting screwed over for minor grade discrepancies...but to come on here and claim a "win" over what could be an irrational buyer by misrepresenting the nature of CGC's product on their chat board to trick ebay into siding with you seems like the actions of an individual without empathy. :D

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Sure but it appears the case was won on appeal primarily because the seller claimed the item was now "permanently encapsulated"....I can sympathize with sellers getting screwed over for minor grade discrepancies...but to come on here and claim a "win" over what could be an irrational buyer by misrepresenting the nature of CGC's product on their chat board to trick ebay into siding with you seems like the actions of an individual without empathy. :D

What is his option?  List a raw grade and guaranty the grade much like CGC?  If you buy raw you dont get a guaranty it's a no-brainer.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

What is his option?  List a raw grade and guaranty the grade much like CGC?  If you buy raw you dont get a guaranty it's a no-brainer.

The grade isn't the issue presented, this guy is saying that if you tell ebay that a book you sold grades lower than you stated after being sent to CGC, then all you have to do is tell ebay that it has been "permanently encapsulated".  

I recommend reading the first post in the thread. 2c

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

The grade isn't the issue presented, this guy is saying that if you tell ebay that a book you sold grades lower than you stated after being sent to CGC, then all you have to do is tell ebay that it has been "permanently encapsulated".  

I recommend reading the first post in the thread. 2c

Read the post-golly I never thought of that!!

If that's ebay's policy then that's their policy.  People buying raws shouldn't be able to get a guaranty if the book comes back lower grade than listed.  You want a guaranty buy a slab.  2c

26 minutes ago, showcase4 said:
46 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:
1 hour ago, showcase4 said:

my ENTIRE point gets lost here, if this turns into "why did I advertise a 9.8 that's a 9.6 at CGC?"

Is this what happened?  Did you list the book as a 9.8 and CGC graded it as 9.6? 

YES :bigsmile:

Why did you advertise a 9.8 that's a 9.6 at CGC?

This topic has come up several times.  In a nutshell:
Ebay listed raw grades are not and cannot be guaranteed.

Thats why raws are cheaper.

You shouldnt be able to get a slab-guaranteed raw grade buying raws, and return books when it doesnt happen in order to accomplish this.

The End

1 minute ago, kav said:

Read the post-golly I never thought of that!!

If that's ebay's policy then that's their policy.  People buying raws shouldn't be able to get a guaranty if the book comes back lower grade than listed.  You want a guaranty buy a slab.  2c

So lying about the nature of CGC's product (hint: It's not permanent) in order to fit into one of ebay's policies is okay with you?  

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

So lying about the nature of CGC's product (hint: It's not permanent) in order to fit into one of ebay's policies is okay with you?  

I'm not seeing a lie here.  The item was altered.  Slabbing definitely alters the book, that's why they sell for more.  Alter is not always bad.  It just means 'not the same due to external action'.