• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Raw Return not allowed - cgc counts as “altered “
2 2

163 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I have a small stack of rejects that I'll get around to listing eventually. I'm so lazy with them that occasionally whatever book it is will get hot and it's worth subbing even to get a 9.2. Case in point I had a couple of Ultimate Fallout 4's in the reject pile and subbed them, turned some decent net profit on those.

Who's Hector?

I have bought a couple raw books from Comic Connect and they provide their own grade opinions.  I usually buy a couple decimal point grades up fro what I want, just in case CGC disagrees.  If I were after a 9.8, I would only buy that already slabbed.

I find this discussion interesting the OP’s rationalization come up in a different context. 

On previous occasions when the discussion has turned to sellers including the CGC label with a book that has been de-slabbed, there are some who feel strongly that is inappropriate. 

They’re argument, basically, is that once the CGC seal is broken it is no longer the same comic that was CGC graded and it’s wrong to make any allusion to what CGC’s opinion of book’s grade when it was slabbed.

They’ve literally used those words “it’s not the same book”

To be clear, I’m not advocating for either the buyer or seller’s actions in this scenario.  Personally, if I were in either position I would have handled things differently. 

I just find it interesting that the previously stated notion that CGC grading materially changes the comic somehow is being used this way. 

I don't care what grade is assigned as a buyer when it comes to raw books. If there aren't good enough pics/descriptions then I just move on. If I bid on something with blind faith hoping for a great book when there is nothing in the description and pics to support said greatness, then that's on me when I receive a garbage book. I have a small stack of those books at home and I have never asked for a return or left negative feedback. I believe the buyer has to accept their own stupidity at times.

33 minutes ago, showcase4 said:

I have an emailed certificate dated 12/07/19 confirming I completed this Course (pic), and was told, in less time then 60% of others taking the same exact Class!

12 minutes ago, showcase4 said:

Exactamondo! (Sp?)

my auctions I do assign a numeric grade ( against many of your valued suggestions here on the Boards )  / using few words / 9-12 hi-res pics of both covers, corners, edges, notable flaws,  and spine. 

To @icefires point - who the hell am I? - what makes my grading so wonderful?  - he’s right! (thumbsu 

I try to give my buyers as much info as possible, so they can make an informed buying decision on a raw comic purchase, based on my experience —- which gives back to the ENTIRE point I’d like to make here: 

the showcase-4 grading scale is a good faith opinion ONLY! If you want a confirmed grade, spend more and buy a CGC certified book! 

If I was so great, this thread wouldn’t exist - because my raw  showcase-4 9.8 grade would have matched the CGC grade! ( 9.6 )

lol exactamundo, other than the fact that you do none of the things he suggested when selling on ebay.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:42 PM, I like pie said:

I'm very interested in this thread because I purchased a raw book from showcase that he said was a sure 9.9.

Being reasonable myself,  I don't expect it to be but it's going to be graded any day now on a 9.8 prescreen. :popcorn:

Just to follow up, this book got a 9.8, so I'm happy even though it wasn't a 9.9 lol

I actually find this surprising as a cgc case is hardly permanent. Otoh, Never call a book a 9.8? Even if I think it looks perfect I never say more than 9.6-9.8. I know it doesn't protect much, but some people read things very literally. If it comes back a 9.6 they shouldn't be mad.

9 hours ago, showcase4 said:

Exactamondo! (Sp?)

my auctions I do assign a numeric grade ( against many of your valued suggestions here on the Boards )  / using few words / 9-12 hi-res pics of both covers, corners, edges, notable flaws,  and spine. 

To @icefires point - who the hell am I? - what makes my grading so wonderful?  - he’s right! (thumbsu 

I try to give my buyers as much info as possible, so they can make an informed buying decision on a raw comic purchase, based on my experience —- which goes back to the ENTIRE point I’d like to make here: 

the ‘showcase-4 grading scale’ (: is a good faith, opinion ONLY!  ~ want an unquestioned,  confirmed grade?, spend more and buy a CGC certified book! 

If I was so great, this thread wouldn’t exist - because my raw  ‘showcase-4 9.8 grade’ would have matched the CGC grade! ( 9.6 )

🤷🏻🤷🏻🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️