• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stay Flat Rigid Kraft Cardboard Mailer
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Curious which size is better or most used by boardies to mail lower dollar/lower grade single comics in? There's a 9.75 x 12.25 size and a smaller size thats more closer to a comic book that's 9 x 11.5...

Thoughts on these Rigid Mailers please....

Typically i send stuff "worth it" in Priority Mail Box or Flat Rate Envelope depending on Grade/Value....but i just acquired 1700 +/- books, some are 9.8's like the 6 coming back from CGC, some are 9.0/9.2 or 8s... so looking for lower shipping options to sell here on the board or Ebay ect...(not advertised as 9.8s (:)...

kraft.jpg

Edited by KryptoSpidey

I used the larger ones when I was selling a lot of low dollar books on eBay. The larger ones give a margin of error for the corners to take some blunting, which is the only wear I’ve seen on these after being mailed. I never had any comics damaged, but I got one complaint lodged in a positive feedback. His comic was fine, the mailer was fine, he just groused about the mailer. I added the cost into s/h charges and used a kitchen scale to weigh packages. For books over $10, I used Gemini mailers.

9 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Yeah that's pretty big for 1 book not of high value. I'm looking for a cheap alternative for $5 books...

It looks like it can be sized down to a thickness of 1/2".  They are 79 cents each.  If that's too much, how much are you looking to spend?

I've had a bad experience with the original brown mailers you showed.  My postal carrier is excellent and always brings stuff like this to my door instead of putting it in the mailbox, but when these mailers arrive there is often significant bends in it. 

Mailers look to me to be a no-no unless you encasing the books between two pieces of cardboard which would get expensive.  I use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-GEMINI-Comic-Book-Flash-Mailers-Fits-most-Comic-and-Graphic-Novel-sizes/323855378522?hash=item4b6748e85a:g:2tYAAOSwv0tVdlhu

Wrap the book (s) in bubble wrap and then fold up the cardboard and tape it up.  The bubble wrap and the pressure on the books when the mailer gets folded up keeps the books stable and they do not slide around.  I'd use cardboard sandwich or boxes for big ticket books but for run filler books these mailers are great and I can usually get them down to close to $0.50 a piece if a coupon or nice ebucks offer comes out.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

It looks like it can be sized down to a thickness of 1/2".  They are 79 cents each.  If that's too much, how much are you looking to spend?

I've had a bad experience with the original brown mailers you showed.  My postal carrier is excellent and always brings stuff like this to my door instead of putting it in the mailbox, but when these mailers arrive there is often significant bends in it. 

Yeah that's good info. Anything under a buck a piece works. I'll look into getting some and some other things for different value books. 

50 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Mailers look to me to be a no-no unless you encasing the books between two pieces of cardboard which would get expensive.  I use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-GEMINI-Comic-Book-Flash-Mailers-Fits-most-Comic-and-Graphic-Novel-sizes/323855378522?hash=item4b6748e85a:g:2tYAAOSwv0tVdlhu

Wrap the book (s) in bubble wrap and then fold up the cardboard and tape it up.  The bubble wrap and the pressure on the books when the mailer gets folded up keeps the books stable and they do not slide around.  I'd use cardboard sandwich or boxes for big ticket books but for run filler books these mailers are great and I can usually get them down to close to $0.50 a piece if a coupon or nice ebucks offer comes out.

Yeah I'm going to try some of the Gemini mailers too for the books worth a little bit more... Thanks for the info

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

I've had a bad experience with the original brown mailers you showed.

Bingo, mailers bend and get rolled up. One bad experience and I went to boxes, permanently. I don't care if its a $1.00 book. Someone wants it and it deserves to arrive there in one piece. 2c

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Thanks! I thought about asking you what you use after getting those Atoms from you. Good price on those.

yes it is and its just not worth the risk to me using mailers, but that's just my opinion. I factor it into the shipping price so its a wash anyway, and the books get there in one piece.

Edited by DR.X

18 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Curious which size is better or most used by boardies to mail lower dollar/lower grade single comics in? There's a 9.75 x 12.25 size and a smaller size thats more closer to a comic book that's 9 x 11.5...

Thoughts on these Rigid Mailers please....

Typically i send stuff "worth it" in Priority Mail Box or Flat Rate Envelope depending on Grade/Value....but i just acquired 1700 +/- books, some are 9.8's like the 6 coming back from CGC, some are 9.0/9.2 or 8s... so looking for lower shipping options to sell here on the board or Ebay ect...(not advertised as 9.8s (:)...

kraft.jpg

Every book that has sent to me that way was damaged and I got my money back.

Two "standard" comics surrounded by a sandwich of corrugated plastic (like those signs you see littering street corners with everything from politicians to yard work adverts on them) then wrapped in bubble wrap in a large manila envelope is 12 ounces, and I only buy the envelopes, $3 for eight of them from my local store. Cheap and very rigid, no mailman is bending that easily. (FTR, I cut the corrugated plastic so the "grain" runs in opposite directions for each sheet.)

Just FYI.

-slym