• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing Question
1 1

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

My biggest dilemma right now is whether to bother with museum glass. My framer didn’t carry true museum until about two years ago. The stuff really does cut glare greatly. I actually went to him recently and didn’t want to spend a ton plus I wanted heavier or over sized pieces framed which happened to be oil on Masonite so no glass needed. 

I actually had a small piece of museum glass left I’ve rhe had saved for me. I mentioned I have a ton of stuff I need framed and was talking about museum glass and he goes “Oh you don’t need to spend that kind of money on that!” 

To date I believe I have 37 pieces framed (counting the pieces being framed right now). Most are under glass.  Despite my framer not always carrying the true museum glass I had always been using the 99% filtering Truvue glass. As other a have mentioned it can not only depend on what type of paint was used but also other factors such as the type of surface and whether there is a varnish. There are a few paintings that came framed but most I don’t see the need to reframe other than 92 Masterpieces (see explanation below). As nice as the museum glass is I’ve only considered replacing the glass on one piece already framed with it because it’s such a dark painting the glass reflections often show more. I also have one I’m not in a rush to reframe but it can tell it’s a cheap frame and until I just moved didn’t realize it appears to be behind plexi glass. My fiancé hates the frame on it so it might get redone some day. It doesn’t get direct light and I’ve seen a sister piece by the same artist not under glass or plexi at all.

Oils are usually not under glass BUT that is not a hard and fast rule for me. To be honest a lot of times I’ll ask the artist themselves. Julie Bell told me they go double mat with glass because she said they paint so thin with oil it’s beter to protect it under glass. I have another piece right now that needs framing. It’s oil on illustration board and it’s decent size around 20x24 board so the glass would need to be large. It’s not a favorite piece of mine so I wouldn’t Spring for museum glass but was debating on glass at all. Judging from the outside surface of the board I will probably throw it under glass.

Generally my acrylic pieces are under glass. I do have one Jusko under glass but it has a varnish. I honestly could have done the same with two other paintings from him since they have a nice sheen of varnish but I got them when the museum glass became available to me and most times I see the Joe’s work it is under glass. His 92 Masterpieces must be under glass. He told me he used whatever paints he had laying around to meet the deadline and I have seen at least one severely faded 92 Masterpieces as I am sure the frames they came in had regular glass with little to no UV resistance. I have two hung in a spot with no direct light currently and will get them reframed (I will probably use my itty bitty piece of left over museum glass on the one.

My largest piece is a Greg Hildebrandt acrylic on canvas. It came framed and not under glass. I actually went to Greg’s house to pick it up and got a tour. None of his paintings hanging in his walls (and he’s got a lot) were under glass. In fact he had one of his Peter Pan paintings hanging over the toilet in one of the bathrooms. The only paintings I’ve seen under glass from Greg are the ones he did with his brother from Marvel Masterpieces. I have the big Hildebrandt painting hanging in a room with no windows but one of the living room windows can throw light in that room so we just have a curtain that covers the room to keep direct light out.

I honestly still have around 30 pieces I would still like framed...probably isn’t going to happen but luckily we have 9 foot ceilings and my fiancé is okay with the vast majority of the stuff. Some of it she plain loves. If she doesn’t like it she just tells me to put it in the den, but considering I have an Indiana Jones Ark of the Covenant painting complete with Ark wrath of god spirit hanging in our bed room I can get away with a lot!

952401C6-C191-4614-83BF-7743F5A190AE.jpeg

3772041B-468A-4247-90FE-7684DE0128DE.jpeg

You are the market for card art. Is there anybody else even trying?

14 minutes ago, vodou said:

You are the market for card art. Is there anybody else even trying?

Yes there are some new comers and a few of them got into it because I had posted in a card group on Facebook. Actually one new comer pried a Boris (yes a Boris) off me with an offer I couldn’t refuse. To be honest a lot of people expect me to be all over them but I pretty have all the card stuff I wanted that has surfaced and it’s few and far between I see much true fresh to market card stuff I want. I wound up with a 94 Captain America Marvel Masterpieces last year but to me that wasn’t even fresh to market as it was on the Heritage website being prevoukstnsold in 2006. It seems most stuff I see come up for sale was offered at some point since I started collecting the stuff around 2007.

There’s only a handful of trading card paintings I REALLY want. At this point I don’t expect to see many of them surface if they haven’t so already. Part of the reason I got into the card art specifically was nostalgia but I honestly love villains and getting a painted example of second and third tier villains card art was often the only way to go. I am more than happy to take a painted comic cover for a character I want an example of. Sometimes comic covers are preferred as card art does run a little small. 

43 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Yes there are some new comers and a few of them got into it because I had posted in a card group on Facebook. Actually one new comer pried a Boris (yes a Boris) off me with an offer I couldn’t refuse. To be honest a lot of people expect me to be all over them but I pretty have all the card stuff I wanted that has surfaced and it’s few and far between I see much true fresh to market card stuff I want. I wound up with a 94 Captain America Marvel Masterpieces last year but to me that wasn’t even fresh to market as it was on the Heritage website being prevoukstnsold in 2006. It seems most stuff I see come up for sale was offered at some point since I started collecting the stuff around 2007.

There’s only a handful of trading card paintings I REALLY want. At this point I don’t expect to see many of them surface if they haven’t so already. Part of the reason I got into the card art specifically was nostalgia but I honestly love villains and getting a painted example of second and third tier villains card art was often the only way to go. I am more than happy to take a painted comic cover for a character I want an example of. Sometimes comic covers are preferred as card art does run a little small. 

Would love to see that Indiana Jones piece.

Varnish has been mentioned several times. With my first oil on panel coming I feel very unprepared for that issue as I had never considered it. Honestly, I thought it was some antiquated practice for Old Master paintings that wasn't done anymore. 

Edited by cstojano

As for the varnish a lot of painters still do it. Actually way more than I realized. It offers some protection. Comic art painters who I know use it include Julie Bell (oil), Joe Jusko (acrylic), E.M. Gist (oil) (added a layer of varnish before sending off a recent Morbius cover to me), and I watched Lucio Parillo (I believe he works with acrylics) recently post a video on Instagram adding varnish to a cover he did. 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:01 PM, Varanis said:

I wanted the floating look for my pieces too, but my framer basically gave me the same rundown as @ESeffinga as to why that was a horrible idea. Attached are examples of what he came up with for me. Pretty similar to what @vodou's got going on. The pieces are attached to foamcore board using archival hinges. I really like how it turned out. It cost me about $300 to frame the DPS with 99% UV resistant glass and about the same for the single page with museum glass (same UV resistance, but no glare).

This is likely only tolerated since original art is a one-of-a-kind market. Every piece is take it or leave it as is since there is no other. 

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

Beautiful! I may have to ask my framer about floating look!