• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help new to collecting

12 posts in this topic

How are you guys I have a few questions I just started collecting comics I mainly have silver age and Bronze Age comics which I’m starting to rebag and board my question is that some of the bags I bought from my local comic shop there the resealing kind when I’m sealing them the lip where the glue is makes it go up a little is this a problem or should I not worry? I also have one more question I just put the comic in a bag and at times the bag is already wrinkled a little is that a problem will it damage the comic or is it nothing to worry about? 

Edited by Blackmassangel

Welcome!

In terms of the bags with the little strip of glue on them, they are usually fine. I personally don't love them because the glue can stick to other books when put in a box which is annoying. I prefer bags without and using a piece of tape to seal.

As for which bags and boards to buy, I will refer you to an old thread that should help answer your questions and allow you to make a decision. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/262065-best-mylar-bags-and-backer-board-combo/ 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Welcome!

In terms of the bags with the little strip of glue on them, they are usually fine. I personally don't love them because the glue can stick to other books when put in a box which is annoying. I prefer bags without and using a piece of tape to seal.

As for which bags and boards to buy, I will refer you to an old thread that should help answer your questions and allow you to make a decision. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/262065-best-mylar-bags-and-backer-board-combo/ 

this (thumbsu.

Personally I prefer to use mylars (egerber) with full backing boards for the correct age comic book.. you can find them to buy off eBay, Amazon, or their own site. 

Best of luck and welcome to the boards.

:tink:

6 hours ago, Blackmassangel said:

How are you guys I have a few questions I just started collecting comics I mainly have silver age and Bronze Age comics which I’m starting to rebag and board my question is that some of the bags I bought from my local comic shop there the resealing kind when I’m sealing them the lip where the glue is makes it go up a little is this a problem or should I not worry? I also have one more question I just put the comic in a bag and at times the bag is already wrinkled a little is that a problem will it damage the comic or is it nothing to worry about? 

I hate tape after a couple of incidents so I use the bags with the glue on it and love them! but I have no idea what youre talking about...makes what go up a little? the bag? the comic? Are you concerned the bag is not sealed right? I mean fold the top part until it sticks to the glue, dont over think it!

The wrinkled bag maybe an issue, when stacked with other comics it might cause rippling on the front cover or some indentations.

Tape drives me crazy. If you need to tape your bags, consider using Post-it tape, Scotch Removable tape, or Post-it tabs.

If you must use regular tape, please fold the tape over to make a tab, so it is easier to peel off some day.

I don't like the self-adhesive bags. I find they stick together in comic boxes. And the adhesive only works a couple times, so if you open and close to read or take pics, you'll need to swap out the bag pretty quick.

I'm one of the few people that just folds bags over to shut them. I sure I will get flack for this, but as long as it's done with care, it doesn't harm the comic. I've damaged way more comics with tape than from folding bags shut.

Wrinkled bags probably won't damage your comics, but if you don't like the wrinkled look, consider investing in mylars/mylites.

Edited by adampasz

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Just a little advice since you stated you are new to all of this.

I have no idea exactly what books you have or are collecting or their value however...

The bags that you are using are polypropylene or polyethylene, neither of which are Archival Safe. Both of these materials breakdown over time and produce acids that over time will damage the book they are meant to protect. It is recommended to replace poly bags every 5 years.

To protect your books for the long haul it is recommended to use Mylites (as was previously mentioned). Mylar is an Inert Material that does not contain any acids and does not breakdown over time, it is Archival Safe. Mylites along with an Acid Free Board stored in the proper conditions (controlled temp/away from light) will preserve your books for a lifetime.

Yes Mylites do cost more in the short term but considering you never have to replace them they cost less in the long run and you know your books are properly protected. Most folks will use poly as a temporary solution until they can get/afford Mylites. I have numerous books that have been in the same 1 MIL Mylite since the 80's.

If you have any questions/concerns Please feel free to ask.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/comics.html

2 hours ago, God Sized said:

I agree, I have no idea what's being asked.  My question is did you buy the bags brand new? 

I did buy the bags and boards brand new the shop owner gave me ultra pro poly resealable bags and 2 different backing boards he gave me Comi Care and comic defense 

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Just a little advice since you stated you are new to all of this.

I have no idea exactly what books you have or are collecting or their value however...

The bags that you are using are polypropylene or polyethylene, neither of which are Archival Safe. Both of these materials breakdown over time and produce acids that over time will damage the book they are meant to protect. It is recommended to replace poly bags every 5 years.

To protect your books for the long haul it is recommended to use Mylites (as was previously mentioned). Mylar is an Inert Material that does not contain any acids and does not breakdown over time, it is Archival Safe. Mylites along with an Acid Free Board stored in the proper conditions (controlled temp/away from light) will preserve your books for a lifetime.

Yes Mylites do cost more in the short term but considering you never have to replace them they cost less in the long run and you know your books are properly protected. Most folks will use poly as a temporary solution until they can get/afford Mylites. I have numerous books that have been in the same 1 MIL Mylite since the 80's.

If you have any questions/concerns Please feel free to ask.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/comics.html

Hello there not really expensive comics a full run of howard the duck in G to VF, a full run of moon knight 1st series and werewolf by night a full run except missing 2 comics that's pretty much what im protecting for now im gonna be investing in mylites in a bit im trying to find a good deal on them for bulk cause I have over 400 comics in total 

4 hours ago, Avi said:

I hate tape after a couple of incidents so I use the bags with the glue on it and love them! but I have no idea what youre talking about...makes what go up a little? the bag? the comic? Are you concerned the bag is not sealed right? I mean fold the top part until it sticks to the glue, dont over think it!

The wrinkled bag maybe an issue, when stacked with other comics it might cause rippling on the front cover or some indentations.

I don't know if your talking about resealable bags that's what im use and that's what keeps making the lip come up so say I just bagged the comic and put it on the resealable part it doesn't all stick so I have to keep repositioning it cause it always leaves a spot a little open

On 1/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, Avi said:

Same.