• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

David Mazzucchelli Appearance
1 1

15 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Rich_Henn said:

You've got a better chance of getting Jack Kirby.

Let me get my ouija board.

Point taken... I'm just not familiar with his reasoning.  Does he think he's to good of an artist to be bothered with it?  Is he opposed to slabbing comics?  I'm wondering if anybody's asked him recently to reconsider his position.  If I'm not mistaken, there have been other creators in the past who weren't keen on CGC signings but warmed up to it later.hm

On 1/15/2020 at 4:21 PM, DJones said:

Point taken... I'm just not familiar with his reasoning.  Does he think he's to good of an artist to be bothered with it?  Is he opposed to slabbing comics?  I'm wondering if anybody's asked him recently to reconsider his position.  If I'm not mistaken, there have been other creators in the past who weren't keen on CGC signings but warmed up to it later.hm

I was told a couple years ago that "he doesn't think that comics are 'real' art"  ... so, if true, the "too good for comic fans" theory is pretty spot on.  I'm surprised because he works as a professor at SVA in NYC with Klaus Janson.  I wonder if he sees Klaus bringing in a bunch of extra side money and is starting to re-think his decision to avoid conventions.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:34 PM, 315008 said:

Will cgc be there for any of the other creators?

@315008

@Chazgee

I will be there Saturday 2/8 ONLY.  I will not be there both days.  If anyone is looking to sub books for signature series, please try to be there on Saturday  (thumbsu

Please note, I can also hold books to move forward to additional shows if you need signatures added.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:21 PM, DJones said:

On 1/16/2020 at 8:57 PM, RadiantGraphix said:

I was told a couple years ago that "he doesn't think that comics are 'real' art"  ... so, if true, the "too good for comic fans" theory is pretty spot on.  I'm surprised because he works as a professor at SVA in NYC with Klaus Janson.  I wonder if he sees Klaus bringing in a bunch of extra side money and is starting to re-think his decision to avoid conventions.

Not sure where you heard he thinks that, but Mazzucchelli is an artist. It's doubtful he thinks comics are not 'real art', as he would most likely see any form of the creative process as an outlet for making art. Now, he may see modern, mainstream comics as not real art - the production line process of their creation lends credence to this thought process, but... I mean he TEACHES comic art storytelling.

Most likely he doesn't deal with CGC, because like the majority of our hobby, who doesn't understand it or work within it, he sees it as WEIRD, and... unnecessary for what HE is trying to accomplish. 

He's a professional. It's his career. Why should he care about what YOU are trying to accomplish with HIS signature?

A lot of other people may give their signatures away for free, and some may even charge for it, but its doubtful HE finds that necessary, or he would've tried cashing in on it years ago. And this isn't a comic book convention per se, it's a Pop Culture Art Festival by a NYC High School. So it's not like he's diving back into conventions...

Edited by Chuck Gower