• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mr. A by Steve Ditko

18 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Wallace Wood's Witzend, perhaps?  I know Mr. A was first published there, but I am unsure of which stories.

Thanks Dave. I whish i have the Witzend reprints or the Ditko Collection edited by Fantagraphics in 1985.

That's great!  FYI that I looked through both issues of the Fantagraphics Ditko Collection books and it's not included in there.  Those books only go up to 1976, so it's possible this was done a bit later.

7 hours ago, tlatner said:

That's great!  FYI that I looked through both issues of the Fantagraphics Ditko Collection books and it's not included in there.  Those books only go up to 1976, so it's possible this was done a bit later.

thank you very much.

Edited by Garry Ghoul

On 1/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, Garry Ghoul said:

New addition in my collection! According to Steve Ditko himself, it was published in a fanzine (in the 70's). But which one? If anyone can help me. Thanks!

You might want to join the FB group called Fanzine History and Appreciation. There are some very knowledgeable folks there.

So... wait a sec... this particular piece is still showing in Vincent Facelina's CAF gallery, i'm guessing because you JUST got it. But... He got it directly from Steve Ditko and was willing to give it up? Like he met Steve, at his studio in the 80s, and Steve gave him this piece of art. And you were able to get it from him... smells like blackmail, or at least witchcraft, to me LOLOLOL :kidaround:

... joking aside... it would be a cold day in hell that you'd get this piece from me if it had that story... good job man. ^^

Doesnt show up in best of witzend... they only have one Mr. A. included in the edition and this isnt from it. Good luck figuring this out. If I see anything in my daily nerdings I'll let you know. 

Garry, 

I found this blog dedicated to Ditko... it's still active, and there are a number of Mr. A essays... also on this link is the bibliography that they've posted of all the Mr. A publications they knew about.

I bet it would be fruitful to reach out to the owner of this blog... 

here's the bibliography

http://ditko.blogspot.com/2009/09/mr-bibliography.html

17 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Garry, 

I found this blog dedicated to Ditko... it's still active, and there are a number of Mr. A essays... also on this link is the bibliography that they've posted of all the Mr. A publications they knew about.

I bet it would be fruitful to reach out to the owner of this blog... 

here's the bibliography

http://ditko.blogspot.com/2009/09/mr-bibliography.html

17 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

So... wait a sec... this particular piece is still showing in Vincent Facelina's CAF gallery, i'm guessing because you JUST got it. But... He got it directly from Steve Ditko and was willing to give it up? Like he met Steve, at his studio in the 80s, and Steve gave him this piece of art. And you were able to get it from him... smells like blackmail, or at least witchcraft, to me LOLOLOL :kidaround:

... joking aside... it would be a cold day in hell that you'd get this piece from me if it had that story... good job man. ^^

Doesnt show up in best of witzend... they only have one Mr. A. included in the edition and this isnt from it. Good luck figuring this out. If I see anything in my daily nerdings I'll let you know. 

It's a great story. Vincent kept it for almost 40 years and then sold it to a collector i made a trade with.

1 hour ago, Garry Ghoul said:

It's a great story. Vincent kept it for almost 40 years and then sold it to a collector i made a trade with.

it really is... He must have just caught Steve on a good day, or in the right way. It's funny Steve Ditko would rarely sign anything that people asked him to, but then he'd send a hand written / signed letter... i think he knew what he was doing / did it on purpose. I tend to think of him as the same guy as my buddy Anders... LOL :) ... I think he really valued his privacy, but he also enjoyed F'ing with people too. 

On 1/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, The Cimmerians Purse said:

it really is... He must have just caught Steve on a good day, or in the right way. It's funny Steve Ditko would rarely sign anything that people asked him to, but then he'd send a hand written / signed letter... i think he knew what he was doing / did it on purpose. I tend to think of him as the same guy as my buddy Anders... LOL :) ... I think he really valued his privacy, but he also enjoyed F'ing with people too. 

Perhaps at times Ditko's philosophy came to play in this .  If a fan put in the effort and worked on a letter that was thoughtful then Ditko might send a signed reply as a reward because he felt it was deserved.  On the other hand, he might have considered a simple request for a signature as undeserved.

...or he was just inconsistent.  Even Ditko was human.

37 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Perhaps at times Ditko's philosophy came to play in this .  If a fan put in the effort and worked on a letter that was thoughtful then Ditko might send a signed reply as a reward because he felt it was deserved.  On the other hand, he might have considered a simple request for a signature as undeserved.

...or he was just inconsistent.  Even Ditko was human.

It might have helped me that I included a few blank sheets of paper and a self addressed stamped envelope when I wrote to Steve. 

4 minutes ago, grapeape said:

It might have helped me that I included a few blank sheets of paper and a self addressed stamped envelope when I wrote to Steve. 

Likewise. Whatever/however the rest of "Steve" shakes out to be over time, one thing I found was that if you showed him respect he would return it in kind. I never found that he would do more but to me he was consistent with his ideals in his dealings with me. In that light, he's perfect (to me) as I value one's personal integrity (applied to myself also) over all other things, even and especially "friendship" (where so many others fail 'the test' lol ).

I think we will find out, in time, that Steve indeed was 'human' and wasn't nearly as consistent as he presented himself or we'd like to think, but that's my experience in the previous paragraph and what I most valued about our correspondence: he was not a hypocrite.