• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get near mint comics
1 1

24 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

well what would you quantify is a good price for someone to preform this task for their regulars?

Also what would a shop owner charge (if they wanted to do something like this) for offering this non-guarantee service, but still a bit of a service to have the best possible chance? 

Just curious as you have a bit of familiarity with this. 

In certain instances it is invaluable, especially with Copper books, where a 9.8 may be hundreds of dollars, but a 9.6 is $50 and may actually lose money net of expenses.  The only way I would do it is if I got a percentage of the take. Say 15% of 9.8 sale. If the "client" was someone who was constantly getting 9.4s and 9.6s, it would be sooooo worth it. 

And also, I don't think I could do it now, because i haven't actively graded stuff in 5 years.  But in 2011-2012 I had a streak of over 100 Copper and modern 9.8s without a 9.6. And the book that broke the streak (WD 33) was ALSO a 9.8 :-)

On 1/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, ThePedestrian said:

Did not think in that way. You are right, I shouldn‘t worry about minor flaws if it is the book that makes me happy, not the perfection of it. I‘ll start focusing on collecting rather than the grading. I just got caught up reading all the CGC posts about grading and what to look for that I began focusing on that myself.

Thanks man!

This board is a magnet for comicbook perfectionists, and for most books printed in the past 30 years or so, the perfectionists drive up the costs of modern collectibles (is that an oxymoron?) creating their own sub-market where they congregate here. Same with the hyper-rare variant collectors. That's often the first impression folks get on these boards - that if it's got minute spine tick or corner wear, or if there's more than 10 copies of a variant for sale on thEbay, then it's not worth collecting. It's an impression that does not reflect the majority of the collecting folks. Most "buzz" on the boards is about A) "HOTTY-HOT" (often movie-driven) speculation books that are hot today and crash tomorrow, B) the Manufactured-collectibles variant covers market, C) Eeking out the highest possible CGC (no one else is worthy) grade out of a book, and the value-added thereof, and D) good fun conversation about comic-related schtuff.

WTTB!

Edited by jcjames