• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please stop casting Jared Leto in comic book movies

53 posts in this topic

I know this is off topic, but I really dislike the casting of Robert Pattison as Batman as well.  I colleague of mine says he is a great actor.  That may be true, but as Batman, I just don't see it.

I am a part-time actor (that is my other side hobby) and understand their business in TV/Movie industry. Is Jared marketable? 

Do you remember Tobey Maguire?  He was a super marketable figure until he fell off from the screen and isn't summoned ever since his last superhero movie (Spider-man 3). 

Wait and see how far Jared will go on in those superhero movies.  The execs and producers depends on anyone who makes big bucks like Ryan Reynolds.  Once the movie is flop, their names are at stake easily (some actors' names were not affected and were luck to have other chances).  It happened to Brendan Fraser - last few movies were financially disaster (he had multiple injuries during his stunt actions).  The execs and producers turned him away and moved on. 

I haven't seen movies or TV that much since I started my family in 2006.  Those names keep appearing periodically so I will know that names that will be worthy to watch their movies for my family. Jared Leto is STILL unbeknownst  to me.  It's more likely that he may not seen or won't be cast in future. HOWEVER, I think he should stay in his music world instead of acting.

I get that he’s not revered with comic book fans and the rumors that he wanted to sabotage Phoenix’s Joker really added to the bad rep, but it’s hard for me to poo poo on him since he happens to be in 2 of my top 3 favorite movies. He’s better for high concept indie films. Leto seems to be too much for the casual movie goer/popcorn eating comic movie fans. 

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

You don’t really think that’s some sort of command performance by Leto, do you?  It’s not even a very good movie.  I know lots of people flock to it and celebrate it and I’ll be railed on for daring to disparage Fight Club, but the story pretty much sucks.  It’s really not that clever and Leto doesn’t make it better.  And this scene is one of the worst in the movie but sure, yay!  It’s ultra-violent which makes it amazing, right?

But what kind of a messed up lesson do you think the viewer learns from this?  What do they learn about other people?  Or heaven help us, what do you think they learn about themselves?  Terrible story.  But apparently spectacle is all that matters to most people.  Reminds me of the movie showing at the theater in Idiocracy...

12 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I am curious. Why all the hate for Leto? What is it about him and/or his acting that makes people react so strongly? Lots of people I know tell me they "hate him."

It’s a valid question.  I think it’s that he just always comes off as pretending to be character rather than inhabiting a role.  Which pretty much always makes me cringe.  I don’t hate the guy, I just don’t think he knows how to be real.

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

You don’t really think that’s some sort of command performance by Leto, do you?  It’s not even a very good movie.  I know lots of people flock to it and celebrate it and I’ll be railed on for daring to disparage Fight Club, but the story pretty much sucks.  It’s really not that clever and Leto doesn’t make it better.  And this scene is one of the worst in the movie but sure, yay!  It’s ultra-violent which makes it amazing, right?

But what kind of a messed up lesson do you think the viewer learns from this?  What do they learn about other people?  Or heaven help us, what do you think they learn about themselves?  Terrible story.  But apparently spectacle is all that matters to most people.  Reminds me of the movie showing at the theater in Idiocracy...

I thought the command performance was by Edward Norton in Fight Club, not Jared Leto. Point is that someone stated that there weren't any movies he's seen that Jared Leto hasn't had a distracting role in. So I merely suggested that if you were entertained by Fight Club, though neither a bravura performance, nor a lousy one, IMO, Jared Leto's performance and character posed no distraction to enjoying or being entertained by Fight Club.

4 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I didn't even know that was him, and I hated that character and saw it as completely useless to the plot.

I cant put my finger on it, is it his acting style? Is it who he is? I'd rather just not see him at all.

Remember, There came a time when Edward Norton was jealous of "Angel Face", because it seemed to him that Brad Pitt (as Tyler Durden) favored Jared Leto's character. When the chance came to fight Leto's character, Edward Norton had it in for him!

23 hours ago, an99 said:

I know this is off topic, but I really dislike the casting of Robert Pattison as Batman as well.  I colleague of mine says he is a great actor.  That may be true, but as Batman, I just don't see it.

That's what a lot of people said about Michael Keaton at the time. You just never know though until you see it.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

That's what a lot of people said about Michael Keaton at the time. You just never know though until you see it.

Micheal Keaton has chops though

1 hour ago, IkewithMike said:
2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Micheal Keaton has chops though

Yeah but to think of the guy who played Beetlejuice being cast as Batman was quite a stretch in those days

Edited by Jeffro.

14 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

“The things you own end up owning you.”

I hope not to get in a battle of opinions but dear God, the philosophical elements of Fight Club (the book too!!) are absolutely brilliant. It’s about freeing yourself, finding your true nature, playing with imagination, the beauty of destruction, the elements of personal relationships....

Terrible story? WTF were you watching?  The passion ignited in me by that movie is a force to be reckoned with. If we were in the same room together I would stand with my fists in the air bellowing the beauty of this film with whatever intellectual or seemingly coherent verbiage I could find. I’m just a crazy weirdo who likes “Fight Club” ehhh??? 

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Yeah but to think of the guy who played Beetlejuice being cast as Batman was quite a stretch in those days

Yeah, that's true, it was a gamble, and it paid off. Jack Nicholson was the right balance for that particular movie