• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior page becomes an exterior COVER...
1 1

34 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

How common is it in comic book publishing today, for an interior page from the story to be used as a variant or later printing's cover?

...have any examples?

Fans of newer comics/art can you tell about that stuff; what I know is that was common at Charlton in the 1970s (maybe earlier too?) to take an interior panel and blow it up for the cover. Charlton was cheap, I doubt the artists got paid twice or paid at all for the cover use.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Fans of newer comics/art can you tell about that stuff; what I know is that was common at Charlton in the 1970s (maybe earlier too?) to take an interior panel and blow it up for the cover. Charlton was cheap, I doubt the artists got paid twice or paid at all for the cover use.

It would be fun to see an example if anyone knows of any.

How about Action Comics #1 cover which was derived from one of the interior panels.  A February 22, 1938 letter from DC editor Vin Sullivan to Siegel provided: “I’m enclosing a silverprint of the cover of Action Comics. You’ll note that we already used one of those panel drawings of SUPERMAN, as you suggested in your recent letter.” In other words, per Siegel’s suggestion, DC used one of the panel drawings from the Superman story as a template to create the cover art. 

5DD1933B-EC58-4AEB-94D7-C9CB811056D8.jpeg.b8b347fb85b44a86c27fa20fe8e54b33.jpeg

Edited by GreatEscape

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

Thanks! Kudos to them for tagging all of those. Now, if we can just get them to redesign their interface!

Cool. No thanks needed, let's just go with my all-in value suggestion for next year's edition :)

How about turning the theme backwards, art created as a cover but ended up being used in the story. The original Simon and Kirby art for the transfer of Fighting American from his previous body still existed (but current location unknown) and showed the art was intended for a cover. However it ended up being used in the story.

FA1page07.jpg

In the last couple of years, Marvel has used multiple interiors from Geoff Shaw's THANOS WINS, Ryan Ottley's THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Ryan Stegman's VENOM, Tradd Moore's SILVER SURFER: BLACK, Filipe Andrade's ABSOLUTE CARNAGE: THE IMMORTAL HULK and more, as covers for later printings. I post them on social media from time to time when it happens. It's a nice bonus for those who got the interiors.