• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boxing comics

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I've got a question I'm gonna be boxing my comics in my closet in short boxes I was watching a YouTube video and this guy said one of the best ways to keep your comics from spine rolling and having cracks in the books is he puts one comic facing you and the other comic facing the other way have any of you guys done this and if so has it helped keep them in better condition? ,

You know... 

I started doing this a little this year. And after 35+ years collecting I can't really explain why.

Historically, I stored traditionally. Never really saw any issues. Indeed, proper storage can contribute a passive 'pressing' of your books that can remove normal distribution / shelf waviness or minor spine roll from reading. 

But the last few years... I've noticed, given the humidity of my location, given the way modern books are produced? The spines are larger/wider? More fluff from the elements? Modern covers are often wavy... After 1/2 a short box, my comics are no longer flush. They are creeping diagonal, sliding. Spines stacking on spines. 

So, yeah... I'm currently employing this on my Usagi Yojimbo and Spawn runs. 

But in theory... there are risks associated with l/term storage of books cover to cover if they are not properly aligned. 

38 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

You know... 

I started doing this a little this year. And after 35+ years collecting I can't really explain why.

Historically, I stored traditionally. Never really saw any issues. Indeed, proper storage can contribute a passive 'pressing' of your books that can remove normal distribution / shelf waviness or minor spine roll from reading. 

But the last few years... I've noticed, given the humidity of my location, given the way modern books are produced? The spines are larger/wider? More fluff from the elements? Modern covers are often wavy... After 1/2 a short box, my comics are no longer flush. They are creeping diagonal, sliding. Spines stacking on spines. 

So, yeah... I'm currently employing this on my Usagi Yojimbo and Spawn runs. 

But in theory... there are risks associated with l/term storage of books cover to cover if they are not properly aligned. 

Thank you for the information 👍🏻

My question would be whether having books cover to cover will create any other wear issues as opposed to having backing board to cover in the traditional way of storing in a comic box.

Cover to cover IMO (unless I am not thinking this correctly) can cause issues with the two books not being aligned with each other thus creating other issues as they are pressed against each other from weight of the other books, how will cover to cover affect books near the back of the box with the weight of all of the books in front of them pushing on them over time?

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

My question would be whether having books cover to cover will create any other wear issues as opposed to having backing board to cover in the traditional way of storing in a comic box.

Cover to cover IMO (unless I am not thinking this correctly) can cause issues with the two books not being aligned with each other thus creating other issues as they are pressed against each other from weight of the other books, how will cover to cover affect books near the back of the box with the weight of all of the books in front of them pushing on them over time?

Hello as of what the guy said in the video it helps take weight off of the comics doing this I watched two videos of 2 guys talking about doing this I can send both videos if u would like 

I was hoping this thread would be about comics about actual boxing, like Superman v Ali.

22 hours ago, Blackmassangel said:

Hello as of what the guy said in the video it helps take weight off of the comics doing this I watched two videos of 2 guys talking about doing this I can send both videos if u would like 

That's OK, my books have been stored Front to Back for a long time, some for 40 years.