• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this FF2 with Kirby sig

31 posts in this topic

4.5 sounds about right . . . but, are you sure that's Jack's sig? Looks a little too neat to me -- can anyone chime in here? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I've got a book he signed somewhere. I'll take a look and see if I can dig it up. That does look sweet, tho.

4.5 sounds about right . . . but, are you sure that's Jack's sig? Looks a little too neat to me -- can anyone chime in here? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I've got a book he signed somewhere. I'll take a look and see if I can dig it up. That does look sweet, tho.

Thanks - I did a Google search for examples of Jack's signature, and there are a couple of interesting things to note:

1) In every instance Jack uses lower case letters, not block print capitals. First hand, I know this isn't conclusive, as I myself switch between them when writing (hey, I'm left-handed - give me a break!) But when I sign my name, I almost exclusively use -script.

2) The end of Jack's "J" doesn't come up and around, but consistently points downward.

That being said, there appear to be a an equal number of similarities, although those are significant variations. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This may be why CGC doesn't make a forensic judgment, and gives such books a qualified label, right?

Interesting points you made in the later post.

All I know is that I purchased this book as part of a lot from Sotheby's in 1994, I believe it was (I can check the year and lot number)...

I've never been keen on signatures (in fact this is the only book I have with a signature); this book just happened to have one.

I've always considered it an oddity in my collection, and wondered about the

signature as you do. I have seen similar signatures of Jack Kirby's, but confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I guess I agree with the gallery on this one 4.0 to 4.5 - I would go 5.0 IF and depending on the amount of gloss, colors and inks reflectivity retained on the cover. The wear all looks to be around the edges which is a bonus, however it looks as if there is some loss of gloss etc. on the cover. If this is NOT the case and the cover still presents well, I could see this book definitly garnering a 5.0 - I've seen Marvels from this era with Chipping, staining or oxidation at the staples garner a 4.0 and 4.5.

Well, I didn't want to say anything, but since you've chimed in already.

My first reaction was that the signature wasn't authentic. I'm no court expert, but I have been collecting autographs for over 15 years, written numerous articles, serve on the UACC Ethics Board, have done authentications for dealers and auction houses... so I have a pretty good eye for picking out fakes.

There are a number of problems with this signature in regard to formation. Further, the signature has a "slowly drawn" and heavy appearance that you don't see in authentic Kirby signatures. It doesn't "flow" like a naturally signed name does.

While I can't say definitively it is not authentic, I think the chances are high that it is a forgery. If it was mine, I would operate under the presumption the signature is not authentic.

If it is a fake, perhaps the forger thought it would be a good way to squeeze a few extra bucks out of a lower grade book.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know about you guys but signatures change over the years. Mine made a big change after signing bills at GM in receiving. Signing hundreds a day destroyed it. My sig now days looks nothing like my earlier days.

So I think the date of a signature means a lot too. For a proper comparison I think they need to be from the same era.

Personally I couldn't imagine any body falsely putting a signature on that comic. Maybe I'm just naive.

Here’s a bit of reasoning. If this comic was autographed at it’s inception I could see Jack as a young proud artist and he would like a signature with more flair then his normal sig. This would account for the heavy look zipper68 mentioned. As time went on and signing books became more commonplace for him he relaxed and signed like his normal sig.

Edited by Nefaria

i guess the "sig" could cost some grading points, but when i step back and look at this book in it's entirety, i think it's AT LEAST a 5.0. it doesn't have the degree of spine problems that most books in the 4.0-4.5 range tend to exhibit.

what seems odd to me is the entire "line" of the BC's left edge. it seems "way less" than straight............ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

still a nice copy and one which, i'm sure, has Peter drooling............ devil.gif

While I can't say definitively it is not authentic, I think the chances are high that it is a forgery. If it was mine, I would operate under the presumption the signature is not authentic.

That is pretty much the assumption I have been making. In part, I posted this book

to get some reactions to the signature. Like I said, it is the only signed book I own

and I'm no expert.

But, it did come from Sothebys and they did call it out as a Kirby signature in the catalog....

Maybe a lawsuit.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just kidding!

Anyway, thanks for all the input everybody!

That is pretty much the assumption I have been making. In part, I posted this book

to get some reactions to the signature. Like I said, it is the only signed book I own

and I'm no expert.

But, it did come from Sothebys and they did call it out as a Kirby signature in the catalog....

Maybe a lawsuit.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just kidding!

Anyway, thanks for all the input everybody!

Yet another Sotheby's "certification" 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

Personally I couldn't imagine any body falsely putting a signature on that comic. Maybe I'm just naive.

screwy.gif

stooges.gif

Here’s a bit of reasoning. If this comic was autographed at it’s inception I could see Jack as a young proud artist and he would like a signature with more flair then his normal sig. This would account for the heavy look zipper68 mentioned. As time went on and signing books became more commonplace for him he relaxed and signed like his normal sig.

I'll say it's a bit - and, just a bit at that 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif Jack was, by no means, a "young proud artist" in 1962 - he was already a seasoned pro . . . makepoint.gif

Well, I didn't want to say anything, but since you've chimed in already.

My first reaction was that the signature wasn't authentic. I'm no court expert, but I have been collecting autographs for over 15 years, written numerous articles, serve on the UACC Ethics Board, have done authentications for dealers and auction houses... so I have a pretty good eye for picking out fakes.

There are a number of problems with this signature in regard to formation. Further, the signature has a "slowly drawn" and heavy appearance that you don't see in authentic Kirby signatures. It doesn't "flow" like a naturally signed name does.

If it is a fake, perhaps the forger thought it would be a good way to squeeze a few extra bucks out of a lower grade book.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks Zip( oops!), my thoughts exactly hi.gif

Edited by divadrabnud

If this comic was autographed at it’s inception I could see Jack as a young proud artist and he would like a signature with more flair then his normal sig. This would account for the heavy look zipper68 mentioned. As time went on and signing books became more commonplace for him he relaxed and signed like his normal sig.

Actually, his later signature is much more ornate. People that sign autographs tend to get more ornate and artistic over time as they perfect their "autographing signature."

(Further, some artists have 2 signatures... their autograph signature and a stylized signature they use to sign their work. Norman Rockwell and Charles Schultz are 2 examples.)

I did find a Kirby signature on an old sketch that is similar to the signature on the FF 2. So, it is possible the signature on the FF 2 is a much earlier, less common iteration of his signature.

Until we can see a valid sampling of know authentic exemplars, I'd label this signature, "Undetermined."

A few of questions:

If this book gets sent into CGC, would it receive a qualified grade?

Would CGC authenticate the signature? Or would it just say "Jack Kirby written in ink on cover"?

If they don't authenticate the signature, then doesn't it become "automatically" valid once encapsulated?

Sorry if slightly off the topic.

Dan

Well, it's for sure they would not accept the signature as authentic. They would never do that, so that's out for sure. I think they might give you a choice of what you want. A universal label with the sig taken into consideration as a defect or a qualified label with it not taken into account as a defect.