• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's AQUAMAN: KING OF ATLANTIS mini series (TBD)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

DC’s King of the Seas is about to become the King of Streaming, with HBO Max announcing a three-part animated mini-series titled Aquaman: King of Atlantis from executive producer (and Aquaman director) James Wan.

The three-part series, produced by Warner Bros. Animation, will open as Aquaman takes the throne of the underseas kingdom for the first time and discovers that it’s not easy being in charge — especially with a half-brother trying to take Atlantis for himself, surface dwellers causing problems under the sea, and ancient evils threatening danger perpetually. If Aquaman is to prove that he’s the right king for the job, he’ll have to learn some new skills and trust in the advice offered by scholar Vulko and Mera, the water-controlling princess who also happens to be the hero's on-again, off-again love interest.

In a statement, Sarah Aubrey, head of original content, HBO Max, said about the new series, “This DC property is a fan-favorite rich with well-known characters and dynamic storylines. On the heels of Warner Bros. Pictures’ box office smash hit, we are certain Aquaman: King of Atlantis will be an exciting addition to our already robust slate of kids and family programming.”

Aquaman has grown from a punchline in the superhero landscape to a bonafide phenomenon, with his solo film grossing over $1 billion at the box office in 2018. Even with a sequel and a potential The Trench spinoff currently in the works, Warner Bros. is still continuing to bring fans new extensions of the franchise -- including an animated miniseries called Aquaman: King of Atlantis. On Wednesday, HBO Max revealed the first look at art for King of Atlantis, as part of their presentation at the virtual Television Critics Association junket.

The art style is definitely going to surprise some fans, as it is decidedly more cartoony and distinct-looking than many of the usual DC animated properties. Comparisons have already begun to be drawn to Cartoon Network's controversial reboot of Thundercats Roar!, especially as crew members from the series have been confirmed to be working on King of Atlantis.

Aquaman: King of Atlantis will serve as a three-part story, in which, between dealing with unscrupulous surface dwellers, elder evils from beyond time and his own half-brother who wants to overthrow him, Aquaman is going to have to rise to the challenge and prove to his subjects, and to himself, that he’s the right man for the trident.

The series is executive produced by Aquaman director James Wan, Atomic Monster’s Michael Clear (Annabelle Comes Home), Rob Hackett (Swamp Thing) and Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!). Victor Courtright (ThunderCats Roar!) and Marly Halpern-Graser (Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) will serve as showrunners and co-executive producers.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Aquaman has grown from a punchline in the superhero landscape to a bonafide phenomenon, with his solo film grossing over $1 billion at the box office in 2018.

Given that picture, As Malcolm Reynolds once said:

”My days of not taking (him) seriously are certainly coming to a middle’

On 10/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, SpeedforceKJ said:

It will be interesting to see how this connects with Aquaman 2. It's great that James Wan has a part in this at least to keep the continuity. 

I was surprised to find out it connected to the live movie. There were a few times they made reference to events from the first film.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

I was surprised to find out it connected to the live movie. There were a few times they made reference to events from the first film.

I read it was supposed to be a small bridge between the two movies. I rather enjoyed episode one though. I actually want to go back watch the movie again and then watch this again  after.