• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would you grade this Captain Marvel Adventures 146?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I am thinking of purchasing this but not sure about the grade. The main defect I see is a rusty staple (with rust transfer on the comic) along with staple tears from the same staple. I also spot creases along this comic (bottom left). I personally think it's a 7.0, at most, due to the rust and tears, but I'd like to know if I am wrong about this.

captain marvel adventures 146.jpg

I really cannot give a grade on this book.

If only you had better pics, especially with the White Cover, it is hard to see if there are any creases/spine ticks/stress lines, also need pics of the back cover and pages, especially the centerfold.

I do see slightly rounded/blunted corners, the rusty staple and the book appears to have been trimmed.

3 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I really cannot give a grade on this book.

If only you had better pics, especially with the White Cover, it is hard to see if there are any creases/spine ticks/stress lines, also need pics of the back cover and pages, especially the centerfold.

I do see slightly rounded/blunted corners, the rusty staple and the book appears to have been trimmed.

I know and I wish I had better pics, but this is all heritage has provided in their current auction. Hence why I am having a hard time gauging it myself. I am pretty sure there is no trimming though as the corners have the same wear as the rest of the book (were it trimmed, they would be more straight). It looks more like a printing mistake which is very common for golden age books.

8 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I think 7.0 is reasonable. That being said a rusty staple is something I have not had experience with to know how much CGC dings for it. 

Same here, and I don't know if rust migration worsens that or if it's included as part of the points you lose for the rusty staple itself.

In any case, if any of you want to see the listing in question, here it is https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-marvel-adventures-146-fawcett-publications-1953-condition-vf-/a/122003-15106.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The seller claims an 8.5 which I find very hard to believe. And as with what marvelmaniac said, the lack of extra photos really doesn't help.

I found this, a CGC 8.0 on ASM 129 with a rusty top staple that was migrating. Yours is a tad more noticeable only because of the white cover. So perhaps it has a chance at 8.0 or even 8.5. I know they grade Golden Age stuff different than Bronze too, generally a bit more lenient so I think safely saying 7.5-8.0 tops is where I would be. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/243632-quick-question-on-rusty-staples/

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I found this, a CGC 8.0 on ASM 129 with a rusty top staple that was migrating. Yours is a tad more noticeable only because of the white cover. So perhaps it has a chance at 8.0 or even 8.5. I know they grade Golden Age stuff different than Bronze too, generally a bit more lenient so I think safely saying 7.5-8.0 tops is where I would be. 

I think 7.5/8.0 is max as well

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Thanks. By comparison though,(judging from the scans) the rusty staple on that spidey book is the only defect stopping it from being higher. In this example, we also have the staple tears (you can see them near the staple extremities), rounded corners, overhang bends and what appears to be creases in the lower left. The spidey book shows the most this could ever get is an 8.0, but this book doesn't look as good, far from it. Hence why I wonder what the grade is. Pretty sure it ain't 8,5, which I find troubling from what is said to be a renowned seller and my main provider of rare GA books.
Also, in regards to the golden age stuff, the leniency only applies to bindery defects, so defects made during production (missing staples, spine roll, loose centrefolds, corner chips, ect). The wear of the book is judged ceterus parabus as far as I have seen.

It's probable heritage is checking out these boards since they recently changed the description of their listing to the following:

"Captain Marvel Adventures #146 (Fawcett Publications, 1953) Condition: FN/VF. Rusty staple, minor staining on back cover. Overstreet 2019 FN 6.0 value = $99; VF 8.0 value = $194.

More Information: EDIT: Grade adjusted from VF+ to FN/VF; description updated to include condition description."

While I am glad it has been rectified, it still worries me that someone there thought this could be an 8.5 (when all of us amateurs knew there'd be no way of that at first glance). And if the change is due to this post, or someone bringing it to their attention, I kind of worry of the other instances where there is such a discrepancy and it's not noticed or reported until the buyer receives it.