• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just arrived from e-bay! Please grade my TMT 203

17 posts in this topic

I wouldn't be so fast to call that a trim job. It may just be a production miscut, as I have several books with the same problem. I am sure someone will be along soon to give you more info. If you are really curious, I think DiceX and Divadrabnud both know quite a bit about production defects and might be able to tell you one way or another...

Yes, it's been trimmed, and not a very good job of it. Look at the bottom of the book and you can see how the cover no longer lines up with the inside pages. Also it's not cut at a 90 degree angle.

Who the heck would be trimming a $2-$3 book!? foreheadslap.gif

Yes, it's been trimmed, and not a very good job of it. Look at the bottom of the book and you can see how the cover no longer lines up with the inside pages. Also it's not cut at a 90 degree angle.

Maybe someone that was experimenting with trimming? confused-smiley-013.gif I don't think you would start out trying it on your AF 15.

Anyway the book came in a lot I purchased and this was the only one that was off kilter. yay.gif

Maybe someone that was experimenting with trimming? confused-smiley-013.gif I don't think you would start out trying it on your AF 15.

Anyway the book came in a lot I purchased and this was the only one that was off kilter. yay.gif

Then you don't "know" it's trimmed?

It's probably just bad QP then.

Marvel's 20 centers are famous for it. tongue.gif

Practice?

Then you don't "know" it's trimmed?

It's probably just bad QP then.

Marvel's 20 centers are famous for it. tongue.gif

You right, I don't "know", but it could be confused-smiley-013.gif. Don't know about the Showcase 43 either. The book doesnt line up straight that's for sure, and the cover is cut shorter then the inside of the book by about a 1/16 of an inch. When I first got it I thought "nice book" then when I went to scan it I noticed the odd angle it was cut at.

I am not an expert on trimming but it could just be a bad production cut. If you look in the back of the overstreet grading guide there is a diagram of all the different miscuts that can occur in production. There are quite a few combinations. This material may appear in the glossary but I am not certain.( It is in there somewhere). Hope that helps.

the book looks to me like it once had a slight spine roll that was flattened out somehow.

i don't think it's a trim. on the BRFC, is the blunt a full arc, or does the arc of the blunting looked clipped? if it's a full, normal-looking curve you would expect to see on a blunted corner, then i think you can safely go with a production miscut/flattened roll...

or you could get a jeweler's loupe and check the cut line vs. a book of similar age and see if the cutmarks are a lot different. the edge of the cut should be whiter than you would expect for a trim job too, if i understand what others have written about the process