• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rawhide Kid 22 - Found today in London used book store

27 posts in this topic

Hi all - I am traveling for work and found got several Rawhide Kid books today for 5 pounds each (about $6.50 USD) - among the lot was a RK22. Awesome!

The short story is, great book - but the store worker was not careful when, after I inspected the interior of the book, he reinserted the book into the sleeve and got the tape stuck on the book cover (AFTER I had asked him if he could remove the tape before reinserting - and he refused to let me reinsert the book myself).

I am thinking of having this book graded by CGC, but am now wondering if I should worry about the glue left from the tape. We thankfully were able to the tape off without pulling up ink - but there is a shiny sticky spot now. I was so frustrated when this happened, but in all reality - I am just very excited to have found this book in the wild.

So a couple questions:

1. If i were to have it graded as is (with the tape residue), what might some of you ballpark it at?
    1. All interior pages are equal quality or better to the centerfold. There is a very slight canned drink ring in the middle of the cover, but it is so faint I could not get it to show up in photos, no matter how I positioned it in the light.
    2. You can see the shiny residue from the tape next to the Totem's hand on the left side of the cover in the zoomed in image below.
  2. If I were to carefully remove the tape residue without damaging the cover - what would you ballpark the grade at?

The full saga of the incident with the tape can be found on the on this page in the "What's new in your Silver Age collection this week?" thread if you care to read it :)

Any guidance is appreciated, so excited to have this one finally in my collection! THANK YOU!

IMG_1920.thumb.JPG.b1d77dabe4caacfb665e738524c638ed.JPG

IMG_1924.thumb.JPG.5def8eebe8dd8d1837caf9057797c622.JPG

IMG_1923.thumb.JPG.ee9a974fcffcb8899817d71c35390fc6.JPG

IMG_1922.thumb.JPG.b3c1eb0171abdcd83863ba8a21819a17.JPG

IMG_1921.thumb.JPG.95d602f6aafa5cf079d20a86ae129c75.JPG

8 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Cool find.   5.0 for me.

It's got the "Miller & Co" Indicia but no pence price or pence stamp.

You might want to show it to "Get Marwood & I".  He'll tell you way more about it than you ever wanted to know.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/profile/34042-get-marwood-i/

Good eye gadzukes!Paging @Get Marwood & I 

And wot a find OP!

I'll side with the 5.0 folk on this one

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Cool find.   5.0 for me.

It's got the "Miller & Co" Indicia but no pence price or pence stamp.

You might want to show it to "Get Marwood & I".  He'll tell you way more about it than you ever wanted to know.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/profile/34042-get-marwood-i/

Stunned you noticed that, never in a million years would I have even thought to check!

1 hour ago, AdamLogan said:

Stunned you noticed that, never in a million years would I have even thought to check!

You found it in the UK, so you gotta check that.

Usually Miller would put an ink stamp on the front.  That's why I think yours is kind of unique. Plus the fact that it's a cents copy and not a pence copy, but still has the Miller indicia.  Might be a VERY unique comic.  Marwood will know.  Once you find out, post it here.

I would imagine this copy just missed the stamp. What's more interesting is that Thorpe & Porter were supposed to have exclusive distribution right for Atlas (Marvel) starting in 1959, but this was printed for L. Miller & Son....

hm

1703762420_amazingspiderman1penceindicia

This is ASM #1. 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Lived in London my entire life and been to countless used bookstores around the Smoke and the rest of the U.K. over the decades, but I've never found any U.S. comics of interest published prior to 1975 in any of them. :cry:

Plenty of Beano and Beezer annuals from the mid 1980s, though. :tonofbricks:

Edited by goldust40

19 hours ago, AdamLogan said:

A few more images for better visibility. The stapes are extremely clean and firmly attached. Cover is tightly attached. Thanks again everyone!

IMG_1930.thumb.JPG.7ec83f7cba24c9983f53720cc7e446a7.JPG

I can’t see this pulling a 5.0 with the all the edge wear and tanning, looks more like a 4.0 to me. The spine looks a bit delicate. I see two small splits at the top and bottom, but in the photo of the open cover, it almost looks like it’s split from the bottom up to the staple. Is that just the photo?

6 hours ago, goldust40 said:

Lived in London my entire life and been to countless used bookstores around the Smoke and the rest of the U.K. over the decades, but I've never found any U.S. comics of interest published prior to 1975 in any of them. :cry:

Plenty of Beano and Beezer annuals from the mid 1980s, though. :tonofbricks:

Captain,I even find them over here lol 

Oor Woolie and the Broons are always a welcome find though