• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rawhide Kid 22 - Found today in London used book store

27 posts in this topic

@Get Marwood & I I just got home from a long flight back from Heathrow, and have been reading over your history with these era UK books - so interesting!

Now I am hesitant to have it graded, as it would be a shame to no longer be recognizable as a U.K. version once encapsulated.

I read your threads, and know that you have asked CGC to recognize these in the label notes - but that seems to no avail.

For clarity - If I submit this, it will not get a U.K. liner note on the label, correct? This is one instance where I WOULD want the U.K. note on the label.

I checked the census and there are very very few RK22 books graded, I would be so proud to have one - especially with it presenting as well as it does.

What to do?!

44 minutes ago, AdamLogan said:

@Get Marwood & I I just got home from a long flight back from Heathrow, and have been reading over your history with these era UK books - so interesting!

Now I am hesitant to have it graded, as it would be a shame to no longer be recognizable as a U.K. version once encapsulated.

I read your threads, and know that you have asked CGC to recognize these in the label notes - but that seems to no avail.

For clarity - If I submit this, it will not get a U.K. liner note on the label, correct? This is one instance where I WOULD want the U.K. note on the label.

I checked the census and there are very very few RK22 books graded, I would be so proud to have one - especially with it presenting as well as it does.

What to do?!

Snap a nice pic of the indicia.  Have it graded.  Tape the photo of the Indicia onto the back of the slab.   

I have an AF15 UK 7.0 that Stan Lee signed when he went to a Con in London back in the 70s.  He signed it on the Splash Page.  I took a photo of his sig and keep it with the slab for the day that I will sell it.  It's not a SS slab, but they did put "Signed 'Stan Lee' on the splash page" on the label.

P1050718.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

58 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Snap a nice pic of the indicia.  Have it graded.  Tape the photo of the Indicia onto the back of the slab.   

I have an AF15 UK 7.0 that Stan Lee signed when he went to a Con in London back in the 70s.  He signed it on the Splash Page.  I took a photo of his sig and keep it with the slab for the day that I will sell it.  It's not a SS slab, but they did put "Signed 'Stan Lee' on the splash page" on the label.

P1050718.JPG

I’m definitely leaning that way, just as you suggest.

Speaking of AF15... this just arrived in the mail today! 🕷

43878D40-1198-4061-A99B-3E6A9E31D5FD.jpeg

8 hours ago, AdamLogan said:

What to do?!

To be fair, I didn't press CGC on the Millers further as they had only just agreed to label UK Price Variants correctly so I thought that was victory enough for the time being. I would ring them, and ask how they would treat the book if you submitted it. They may ask you to note the variance on the submission form so that it doesn't get missed. Part of the issue for them would be how to reference it on the label. I would suggest something like "UK regional distribution indicia variant / copy" or something along those lines. It would be important I think to word it in such a way that it is clear that it is not a reprint - a badly worded description could imply that and potentially impact the resale value for those to whom that is important. You can always refer them to my thread, so they'll be able to see examples and in which books the variants are confirmed to exist. If you do, pop back and tell us how it goes won't you? Good luck. 

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

To be fair, I didn't press CGC on the Millers further as they had only just agreed to label UK Price Variants correctly so I thought that was victory enough for the time being. I would ring them, and ask how they would treat the book if you submitted it. They may ask you to note the variance on the submission form so that it doesn't get missed. Part of the issue for them would be how to reference it on the label. I would suggest something like "UK regional distribution indicia variant / copy" or something along those lines. It would be important I think to word it in such a way that it is clear that it is not a reprint - a badly worded description could imply that and potentially impact the resale value for those to whom that is important. You can always refer them to my thread, so they'll be able to see examples and in which books the variants are confirmed to exist. If you do, pop back and tell us how it goes won't you? Good luck. 

I've decided to do exactly this, thank you so much for the advice. I'll keep you posted on any conversation I have with CGC on the matter, and will update this thread once I get the book back so that everyone can see what it came back as.

Question for all - Should I attempt to remove the sticky left over from the tape, or will it impact the grade? If it doesn't impact the grade I don't mind it being there - as it is only noticeable in certain light, and if you are specifically looking for it. Thanks all!

Edited by AdamLogan

On 1/18/2020 at 11:45 PM, AdamLogan said:

I've decided to do exactly this, thank you so much for the advice. I'll keep you posted on any conversation I have with CGC on the matter, and will update this thread once I get the book back so that everyone can see what it came back as.

Anything to report Adam? :)