• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st CGC submission value?

4 posts in this topic

Greetings comic book collectors! I am an avid comic fan and have been reading and collecting for 40 years. I love this site and have been visiting for about 8 years. I've always believed that comics should be read and not encapsulated. But I've been reading all my Marvels online through Marvel Unlimited for the past 5 years, and don't collect floppies much anymore. I have a few gems in my 20 longboxes that I now feel should be preserved and never touched. I value all the comics in my collection, but will sell them off before I die and want to capitalize on their value. So I've decided to make my first submission to CGC and have a few questions. First, If I upgrade to Premium, can I use the $150 credit on the 1st submission? Do you put the raw or graded value for the submission? I may have some 9.8s but expect them to find flaws that I do not see. I'm getting pretty good at guessing the grades on the PGM sub-forum. What value should I place on the following:

Strange Tales Vol1 #180 ($0.25) 9.0+

Captain Marvel Vol1 #18 ($0.15) 9.0+

Avengers Vol1 Ann 7 ($0.60) 9.0+

Wolverine Vol1 #1 ($1.50) 9.6+

Punisher Limited #1 ($1.25) 9.6+

Secret Wars #8 ($0.75) 9.8

Nyx #3 ($2.95) 9.8

Thanks for any advice. I'll post my submission results when I get them back.

Welcome to the boards!

Yes you can use the 150$ on grading services, in fact it should be automatically applied when you get the invoice. Note the credit does NOT apply to any fees, shipping or services other than grading.

The estimated value is tricky since it can affect the cost of submission and shipping. I generally use the 200$ value to keep things simply.

Im pretty sure the valuation is purely for insurance purposes in the event that your book is completely destroyed and cant be replaced, this is unlikely to happen at CGC but worth thinking about for shipping.

Bottomline place a valuation you are comfortable receiving if your book is lost, destroyed or goes missing.

16 hours ago, rrobe99999 said:

Greetings comic book collectors! I am an avid comic fan and have been reading and collecting for 40 years. I love this site and have been visiting for about 8 years. I've always believed that comics should be read and not encapsulated. But I've been reading all my Marvels online through Marvel Unlimited for the past 5 years, and don't collect floppies much anymore. I have a few gems in my 20 longboxes that I now feel should be preserved and never touched. I value all the comics in my collection, but will sell them off before I die and want to capitalize on their value. So I've decided to make my first submission to CGC and have a few questions. First, If I upgrade to Premium, can I use the $150 credit on the 1st submission? Do you put the raw or graded value for the submission? I may have some 9.8s but expect them to find flaws that I do not see. I'm getting pretty good at guessing the grades on the PGM sub-forum. What value should I place on the following:

Strange Tales Vol1 #180 ($0.25) 9.0+

Captain Marvel Vol1 #18 ($0.15) 9.0+

Avengers Vol1 Ann 7 ($0.60) 9.0+

Wolverine Vol1 #1 ($1.50) 9.6+

Punisher Limited #1 ($1.25) 9.6+

Secret Wars #8 ($0.75) 9.8

Nyx #3 ($2.95) 9.8

Thanks for any advice. I'll post my submission results when I get them back.

Strange Tales 180 around $150 tops

Captain Marvel #18 around $120 tops

Avengers Annual #7 around $80 tops

Wolverine #1 around $130-150

Punisher #1 (if its the Zeck mini) around $100 tops

Secret Wars #8 around $125 tops

NYX #3 around $450-500

On 1/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, Avi said:

The estimated value is tricky since it can affect the cost of submission and shipping. I generally use the 200$ value to keep things simply.

I submit in person at shows and the CGC rep usually recommends maximizing the value in the tier (for just the reasons Avi stated above)