• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printing Error?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I’ve enclosed a few pictures of what I believe is a printing error on my copy of Uncanny X-Men #300.   Can you give me your opinion as to whether you agree?   It is smooth to the touch and not tacky in any way.  My hope is that if it is, then it would not effect the grade.  Your opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.  Thank you.  

AE5776D3-6983-4C5E-8B24-EAB14C090167.jpeg

5670BDCA-C781-43AC-A763-4489C8EF4354.jpeg

72E2F33F-0EAE-43A0-A1A3-73A03EABDC4F.jpeg

I mean, even if it is a printing error, it is ugly. This being a book that can be found in high grade for $5-10, personally I would just sell this one and buy one without the mark. As for grading it, unless it has some major sentimental value, I wouldn't. You could find a 9.8 for around $50 if you want that perfect, encapsulated copy. Sending it in and getting it grade would likely cost more than the value. 

it looks to me like a price sticker was there and some was peeled off and the rest pulled off some of the cover just from the shape of it but since your saying no texture or stickiness its hard to tell. but as comicginger mentioned I would just get a another if they aren't that expensive as it does kind of ruin the books eye appeal even if its a 9.8 with a print error. 

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

it looks to me like a price sticker was there and some was peeled off and the rest pulled off some of the cover just from the shape of it but since your saying no texture or stickiness its hard to tell. but as comicginger mentioned I would just get a another if they aren't that expensive as it does kind of ruin the books eye appeal even if its a 9.8 with a print error. 

I've seen it before on this issue, it may be problematic of production, not unlike the gray and black streaks that are typically seen below the chains near the spine on Hulk 181s. My feeling is that it's incurred in production.

This looks like a foil print error.

Foils have the most errors of any type of cover and many are very subtle like this example.

There is no such thing as a “standard flaw” though some are more common or obvious than others such as foilmissing from cover.

sometimes there’s a chemical imbalance with the aluminum, plastics, and dyes that make errors.

I have a Venom LP 1 foil error that has silver on cover.

BAFFC141-267D-4085-AC02-F63C2BCF405A.jpeg

This is a fairly common flaw with "foil" (which are metallic plastic, not actual metal) covers: something got stuck to the plate that was rolling it onto the cover, and that area didn't adhere properly. That's why it seems to stop so abruptly at the non-foil, black ink top of the UPC box. If you look at it through magnification, you'll see it has a perfect line there.

Yes, it IS a printing flaw, no it's not worth slabbing.