• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Spiderman #129 now a mega key comic ?
1 1

183 posts in this topic

I have long looked at key comic issues. However, I still can't understand why the 1st appearance of The Punisher is held in such high esteem. A secondary character like many others in the history of Marvel and in all intents a purposes a glorified hitman. I just don't get how Spiderman #129 can carry such a high price tag. Sorry, but he does nothing for me. HOWEVER, having said this I'm always open to being persuaded by other points of view ?

Personal taste.

A lot of people do admire the character, and that can outweigh your own, more neutral opinion.

For instance, to me, Wolverine is a good character, but I’m not particularly excited by his involvement in a story, and don’t care that much about his first appearance. 

Many are much, much more excitable in that respect, and the rabid speculation is significantly additive to the runaway prices for both characters.

Your response may be quite cold, but it’s always mindful to appreciate that a majority may think, be motivated, and value quite differently.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Yeah ASM #129 has always been a valuable book because people have loved the character since his inception. Personally, I find it weirder to see Moon Knight spiking in popularity because he was never wildly popular but now you see first and early appearances that are very expensive (back in the early 2000s, his solo app in Marvel Spotlight was maybe a $5-10 book). 

Punisher had some meh movies and some great TV show apps on Netflix to fuel the continued love in the past decade and beyond. I myself am needing one for my ASM run, one of the few I need to complete #100-400. It's always expensive and I have hope for a drop but it just seems to have fans and buyers at all times which keeps is a consistent key seller. 

As for the term "mega key", seems like the lingo of a few hip Youtubers and Instagrammers have caused any book valued around $1000 in high grade to receive this term. Way I see it, its a great cover from a great run of comics at a time when Marvel was killing it. The character design is loved by many (skull on his chest, come on! And go go boots!) and he has had success ever since debuting. Find me a character like that whose first appearance doesn't sell and continue to sell. It is just the way. 

it's value is tied to a movie Coyote Ugly.. duhh ... lol and those speculators buying books because o the MCU... wait umm :roflmao:

image.png.8c46ae1046d65931e2c88d5f38c7acc9.png

Edited by Krismusic
typo

but really punisher has been a huge character and many love his story and run, I like the character and he has had some movies and TV show as well as success in is comic book. So why wouldn't it be a key? 

Whats not to like?  He's essentially Batman without the bankroll.  Their origin story, motive and skills are perfectly in line.  Personally I think he's one of Marvel's best characters.  He's also Cosmic Ghost Rider which brought him into the light of younger collectors/readers...

Definitely one of the top 10 most popular characters in all comics in terms of sales and star power.  You can debate HOS 92 or WBN 32 or even X-Men 101 as justified mega Bronze Age keys but I think ASM 129 is justified as being one of the top books behind IH 181.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Throwing random adjectives in front of "key" does not increase or reduce its importance to whichever subject matter it pertains to.

I don't think it was a random adjective. There are keys and they are KEYS. I get the intent of what the OP was saying without getting wrapped up in semantics.

1 minute ago, WoWitHurts said:

I don't think it was a random adjective. There are keys and they are KEYS. I get the intent of what the OP was saying without getting wrapped up in semantics.

A key is a key is a key.

I see 0 value in trying to distinguish 1 "key" from another. Either an issue is important - or it isn't.

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah ASM #129 has always been a valuable book because people have loved the character since his inception. Personally, I find it weirder to see Moon Knight spiking in popularity because he was never wildly popular but now you see first and early appearances that are very expensive (back in the early 2000s, his solo app in Marvel Spotlight was maybe a $5-10 book). 

Punisher had some meh movies and some great TV show apps on Netflix to fuel the continued love in the past decade and beyond. I myself am needing one for my ASM run, one of the few I need to complete #100-400. It's always expensive and I have hope for a drop but it just seems to have fans and buyers at all times which keeps is a consistent key seller. 

As for the term "mega key", seems like the lingo of a few hip Youtubers and Instagrammers have caused any book valued around $1000 in high grade to receive this term. Way I see it, its a great cover from a great run of comics at a time when Marvel was killing it. The character design is loved by many (skull on his chest, come on! And go go boots!) and he has had success ever since debuting. Find me a character like that whose first appearance doesn't sell and continue to sell. It is just the way. 

That's not entirely true. In the early 1980's I held a dozen copies in my hands at my LCS and they were $10 each, like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I didn't buy any of them :(

1 minute ago, WoWitHurts said:

Are you saying there are not degrees in importance?

Agreed. Both Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 are considered to be SA keys. If both were put up for sale in CGC 2.0 condition, I know which one <I> would buy (IF I had the funds :().