• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Spiderman #129 now a mega key comic ?
1 1

183 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I remember collecting ASM back then #50 wasn't her on my radar.  For the life of me could never find a 238 back then. Personally I think #50 is over rated to this day LOL. I was never a Kingpin fan.

Yeah, I had to mail order 238 in the 80s.  It was only $2, but it wasn’t available locally for me.

12 hours ago, shadroch said:

With very few exceptions, First Issues dominated the hobby rather than first appearances. By the mid to late 80s, the influx of baseball card dealers and collectors and their Rookie Card mentality stirred the First Appearance  craze. 

While DC fans chased books like Adventure 247 and Flash 105, Marvel fans mostly chased first issues, with the exception of Avengers 4 and the Trilogy.

Yeah, (Marvel) Zombies are very simpleminded. lol

It's amazing how someone can have such detailed recollections of events that they didn't experience for themselves but only read about years after the fact.

Truly amazing.

2c

26 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

It's amazing how someone can have such detailed recollections of events that they didn't experience for themselves but only read about years after the fact.

Truly amazing.

2c

I know, right...?

It's like, how does anyone know anything about the Revolutionary War, or the Civil War, or ancient Egypt, or anything that happened before our lifetimes...? We didn't experience any of that for ourselves, and only read about them years after the fact! 

WEIRD!

2c

RMAs story sparked a memory.  I started collection in 1985 or so since I remember trying to complete a Secret Wars set and having a hard time finding #4 for some reason.  I mostly bought X-Men’s for a couple years and then spent my entire allowance on a lower mid grade copy of ASM129 that was on the shop wall for $20 in probably 1987 or so.  Held on to that copy thru the years even though friends wanted to trade for it but I eventually sold it in 1996 or 1997 for $115 when I sold my entire collection after college.  For some reason I can still see that cover with the big corner crease even though I can’t remember how old I am most of the time.  Strange how certain books imprint themselves on you.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

In fact, ROM appeared 96 times in the same time period.

Interestingly, the ROM action figure was developed and produced, before it hit comic form.  So makes you wonder, why Marvel pushed him so much, given that the toy underwhelmed in terms of sales.  Maybe they thought to re-invigorate the toy side. 

Gotta laugh whan a "why is X Key"  so expensive thread starts.

But I do enjoy the conversation that ensues.

At the end of the day the market dictates. Total preference, among other factors, influence this....not ones individual preference:nyah:.

EC Horror Comics are exhaustingly expensive because they are rare in decent grade, historic, and because some people have good taste. Other books are expensive because some people are lemmings with horrible taste who fall victim to marketing ploys.

I personally love Punisher and missed the boat on the book. I'm 30 with a growing family and in no position to buy $2K books. I'm a huge Swamp thing fan and missed the boat on HOS 92 as well, so I will have to find contentment in my SW1.  I love Moon Knight and am very glad I scooped up my 32 when I did. Those three of my favorite characters ..... If you don't like something ... Then it's not for you. It wouldn't persist if there was no market. 

Punisher FA has alot going for it, it is classic ASM, the introductory character appears on the cover, the cover art is exceptional and has become iconic. The character took time to find his popularity but has sustained it since attaining it.

You don't  **** on the market the market ***** on you.

11 hours ago, Erndog said:

ASM129 is prob one of my fav books as Punisher is one of my fav characters.  I've actually been humming over the idea of adding a few more to the collection. 

Having said that, while the cover is awesome the cover to 135 is even better!

I agree with Erndog that the 129 and 135 covers are gorgeous! Definitely enhances the popularity of a first appearance!

Not a big fan of the Amazing Spider-Man 129 club. Never became attached to the Punisher as a character, which is odd as I absolutely loved Man Wolf a few months earlier. I've always wondered if Romita and Kane had remained on the book another 4 or 5 issues if that would have pulled me in. The Kane/Romita cover is iconic, but the interiors were just "meh" at that point. I know Andru has his fans, but to me, the classic Spider-Man run ended at #124. I just don't look at the Andru run the same.

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And there were plans to use him again in DD #167, but for some reason...probably because Miller wasn't happy with the story, or McKenzie's departure as writer was imminent...the story was shelved for a year, to be more fully developed in DD #181-184.

The Punisher story, Child's Play, was pulled from DD #167 because the Comics Code Authority objected to a sequence showing a child smoking a drug pipe.  The pages intended for #167 were later used with some modifications as #183. The final page intended for #167 was redrawn as two pages, and a further two pages were added at the end of the issue to tie things into the current continuity.

7 hours ago, Logan510 said:

The difference here is some of us actually experienced these events first hand as opposed to a civil war buff or even a noted comics historian.

2c

We are in a position to know more about the Civil War today than anyone who actually experienced it, because we have the advantages of time and aggregation. There were no "Civil War histories" for people to read in 1864. The people who actually experienced it could only speak to their own experience, and some of the experience of the people in their sphere. We have the luxury of not merely knowing the aggregate experience of tens to hundreds of thousands of people, but many historians have done the heavy work of sifting through natural bias and misperception, to give us a more accurate picture of what happened. 

That's why history is so important.

Any single experience is necessarily suspect, mine, yours, anyone's. Memories fade, people misperceive events, emotions cloud perception. But the experience of 20 different people of the same event? Especially from people who recorded those experiences at the time the events occurred, rather than relying on fuzzy memories years or decades later...? Now you can start putting together a reliable picture of what actually happened...even if you didn't directly experience it yourself.

I wouldn't expect anybody to take my experience by itself, and I personally step into the picture in August of 1989. But we have a reliable record of what happened, experienced by tens and hundreds of people, so we don't need to rely on any one person's experience.

And that's a beautiful thing.

9 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:
10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And there were plans to use him again in DD #167, but for some reason...probably because Miller wasn't happy with the story, or McKenzie's departure as writer was imminent...the story was shelved for a year, to be more fully developed in DD #181-184.

The Punisher story, Child's Play, was pulled from DD #167 because the Comics Code Authority objected to a sequence showing a child smoking a drug pipe.  The pages intended for #167 were later used with some modifications as #183. The final page intended for #167 was redrawn as two pages, and a further two pages were added at the end of the issue to tie things into the current continuity.

Excellent! Thanks for filling in the gaps! What I wonder, though, was #167 then intended to be Miller's debut as a writer? I would imagine so. Miller had wanted to leave the book, but O'Neil agreed to let him write the book as well, so #166 was McKenzie's last story. Things apparently happened fairly quickly, as #166 announced the Punisher appearance in the next issue, and #167 is sort of a "fill-in" issue, with Michelinie as writer. 

It would have been interesting if DD #167 had been Miller's debut as writer and the Punisher appearance. The issue itself is quite a bit scarcer than #182-184, and during the Punisher-mania of the early 90s, it could have become quite the valuable book...and would Elektra still have appeared in #168...? 

We'll never know.

27 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Excellent! Thanks for filling in the gaps! What I wonder, though, was #167 then intended to be Miller's debut as a writer? I would imagine so. Miller had wanted to leave the book, but O'Neil agreed to let him write the book as well, so #166 was McKenzie's last story. Things apparently happened fairly quickly, as #166 announced the Punisher appearance in the next issue, and #167 is sort of a "fill-in" issue, with Michelinie as writer. 

It would have been interesting if DD #167 had been Miller's debut as writer and the Punisher appearance. The issue itself is quite a bit scarcer than #182-184, and during the Punisher-mania of the early 90s, it could have become quite the valuable book...and would Elektra still have appeared in #168...? 

We'll never know.

McKenzie scripted part one of Child's Play intended for DD #167, and is credited as co-writer of DD #183.  Presumably Miller scripted the final four pages of #183.  GCD says McKenzie had uncredited writing input into DD #184. Elektra was originally intended to debut in #169 but was brought forward an issue to replace Child's Play part 2.  Miller's -script for the published DD #169 still included a reference to the angel dust murders.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens
fixed typo

13 hours ago, Erndog said:

ASM129 is prob one of my fav books as Punisher is one of my fav characters.  I've actually been humming over the idea of adding a few more to the collection. 

Having said that, while the cover is awesome the cover to 135 is even better!

I like 135 too. Still manageable for a mid grade copy. The key chasers who have been in the hobby 5 minutes ignore it.

7 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

McKenzie scripted part one of Child's Play intended for DD #167, and is credited as co-writer of DD #183.  Presumably Miller scripted the final four pages of #183.  GCD says McKenzie had uncredited writing input into DD #184. Elektra was originally intended to debut in #169 but was brought forward an issue to replace Child's Play part 2.  Miller's --script for the published DD #169 still included a reference to the angel dust murders.

Now you're making me pull out my copy to see. ;) And you're right; I'd wondered about that when I first read them, years ago. 

Here's the reference in question:

58896961_dd169angeldustmurders.thumb.png.843dcfd5f03686c80158e2182b2104ab.png

I remember thinking at the time "what angel dust murders...?" And since I read #183-184 months after that, I had forgotten about this scene in #169, and never made the connection that the later story was the one being referenced. Thanks for putting that puzzle piece in place for me! Took a few decades, but there it is!

I think DD #167-168 as originally intended would have made a very nice transition for the departing McKenzie and the incoming Miller. Imagining #169 as the debut of Elektra is interesting. 

This is apparently all explained in the Comics Journal Library: Frank Miller. I don't think I've read my copy. I'll have to dig it out. 

25 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is apparently all explained in the Comics Journal Library: Frank Miller. I don't think I've read my copy. I'll have to dig it out. 

I recall reading about it in TCJ at the time....also relevant is the old Marvel Comics indexes also had an explanation (the index only covered up to issue 181 because 182 hadn't come out yet when the index was printed)

20200119_125921.jpg