• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed-Some GGA, Baker, Gold, nothing to break your bank! Some new books and lowered prices!
4 4

55 posts in this topic

Very recent health events have overtaken me and I'm going to move a few book to help pay some larger insurance copay's. I've done deals with numerous sellers on this board, (ask if you want details) and some of these books were purchased on these boards. This is my first attempt at a sale so please let me know if you see i'm not directly following a rule. If this is successful, I'll move some more book in future threads, as need be. 

Usual rules apply.

No probies, HOSers, or troublemakers

First "takes it" over PMs.

All books are complete and not restored unless otherwise noted.

If you are not satisfied for any reason I will give you a full refund upon return of the books(two weeks.)

Shipping raw books to USA only at this time. Shipping is $10. priority mail.

PM me with any questions.

PAYPAL or money orders, please. Payment due within three days, please.

Edited by JohnnyR
new books

Heroic Comics #1.  Bill Everett introduces a second water based character, Hydroman. I love how prominently he signs the splash page.  A bright This 1940 book  is supple with some expected wear for a book this age, with a name written on the cover and splash.  Everything is attached, a few minor page tears on some of the early pages, someone filled in a puzzle a little bit and one long tear on a later page as is pictured, which is the only bigger flaw.   A chance to pick up some vintage Bill Everett work, and aimageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761first appearance, an 80 years old book at a decent price. $245.00  SOLD

20200116_162129.jpg

20200116_162139.jpg

20200116_162313.jpg

20200116_162424.jpg

20200116_162502.jpg

Edited by JohnnyR
SOLD

Margie #36.  A very early Stan Lee appearance as a character in this book, he takes Margie to the Stork Club after she storms into his office and roughs him up. She falls for a Sinatra like Crooner at the club and jilts Stan.  Who would have thought Stan would become a beloved American icon? 

Cover is neatly detached from book. Has a small chunk out of bottom left corner. Top, left corner has a bump tear. Cover could use a cleaning. Some kid neatly filled in the title with pencil. Centerfold is neatly detached and a little ragged on edge. Back cover is a little dirty. Supple inside pages.

A FR/GD, looking a little more ragged than this copy,   sold on ebay recently for $135, described as such:
"FR-GD. Cover attached but tearing away from front. Centerfold detached. Entire book is torn at staple, where the front half of the book is held together from the back, and the back held on from the front. Stain on cover.  No missing pages or cutouts. Ist appearance of Stan Lee in comics!"
I don't quite follow that description and I doubt this is Stan's first appearance, but it's an early one and fun one.
$90   SOLD

20200116_161547.thumb.jpg.36955f80fbcaed38d93992c9bb4baf98.jpg

20200116_161600.jpg

Edited by JohnnyR
updated description

53 minutes ago, JohnnyR said:
Margie #36.  A very early Stan Lee appearance as a character in this book, he takes Margie to the Stork Club after she storms into his office and roughs him up. She falls for a Sinatra like Crooner at the club and jilts Stan.  Who would have thought Stan would become a beloved American icon? 

Cover is neatly detached from book. Has a small chunk out of bottom left corner. Top, left corner has a bump tear. Cover could use a cleaning. Some kid neatly filled in the title with pencil. Centerfold is neatly detached and a little ragged on edge. Back cover is a little dirty. Supple inside pages.

A FR/GD, looking a little more ragged than this copy,   sold on ebay recently for $135, described as such:
"FR-GD. Cover attached but tearing away from front. Centerfold detached. Entire book is torn at staple, where the front half of the book is held together from the back, and the back held on from the front. Stain on cover.  No missing pages or cutouts. Ist appearance of Stan Lee in comics!"
I don't quite follow that description and I doubt this is Stan's first appearance, but it's an early one and fun one.
$90

20200116_161547.thumb.jpg.36955f80fbcaed38d93992c9bb4baf98.jpg

20200116_161600.jpg

A boardie may have posted an earlier appearance, there is a thread on this somewhere, but this is at least the second to my knowledge. 

Thanks for adding that. So if this cover is his first, as a masked cowboy, no one knowing its Stan, does that mean that Margie #36 is the first time his of 100's of appearances as "Stan Lee" in a comic??

2 minutes ago, JohnnyR said:

Thanks for adding that. So if this cover is his first, as a masked cowboy, no one knowing its Stan, does that mean that Margie #36 is the first time his of 100's of appearances as "Stan Lee" in a comic??

If you ask me, yes, but would be tricky terrain as here he's himself, but obviously AS the Black Rider, and thus would be the "Marvel universe" Stan, not just a photo of him.
Who knows? Personally I would not care much, I’d rather have an early Mystic Comics with one of his Destroyer stories. :) Fun book the Margie, anyway!

Sunny #12.  An uncommon  Al Feldstein classic with his signature good girl art. Man, those girls could put an eye out with those things...well you know. Includes a Junior story, also with his trademark GGA

Spine is beat up and quite nearly split, somehow still together and hanging on by the top staple.

Say a 1.5-1.6.   $135.00   $115.00  SOLD

20200116_161507.thumb.jpg.b9fddb152d899b1115fc41490464255c.jpg

Edited by JohnnyR
new info

Wartime Romances  #17.   My favorite Matt Baker cover, you can almost hear the rustling of her dress as she temps those sailors.  Great background details as well.  The cover is richer and has better color than the photos show, background light was harsh. I'll try to get a better one tomorrow.

Spine nearly split but somehow hanging on by the back , lower staple. Some chips out of the cover, nice PQ.  Beat but the cover looks great anyway and an affordable Baker GGA bad girl.     $135.00         SOLD

20200116_161825.jpg

Edited by JohnnyR
SOLD

On 1/17/2020 at 2:24 PM, JohnnyR said:

That was my sale. I've always understood this to be Stan's 1st appearance as "a character in the Timely universe" as opposed to his cover appearance on BR8 dressed up as Black Rider.

Planet Comics #43.  spine is a little beat but still firmly attached as is centerfold. Chip off upper right corner is main issue.  Man, these Planets just have the most amazing art of that era, the girls are ahead of their time..

$90. SOLD

20200116_161658.jpg

20200116_161726.jpg

20200116_161751.jpg

Edited by JohnnyR