• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What character's full body published splash tends to cost the most..

29 posts in this topic

despite artist or issue? I know that's hard not to factor in but what character tends to be the most expensive if presented as a splash? I will say it is extremely difficult to find a full bodied Punisher splash at a reasonable price. 

40 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

"What character will an artist charge you more for because they're a pain to draw?"

Cthulhu.

2nd Place: That character who's name begin "A" (and also tied with the other one beginning "M") which drawing can get you the death sentence ;)

53 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

despite artist or issue? I know that's hard not to factor in but what character tends to be the most expensive if presented as a splash? I will say it is extremely difficult to find a full bodied Punisher splash at a reasonable price. 

Aunt May

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

Batman.

But what if we rephrase slightly: "What character will an artist charge you more for because they're a pain to draw?" Swamp Thing? Medusa?

I don't think artists change the price after you tell them the character... at least I haven't run across that.

In the past I did commission someone where he charges $1 per minute, so he will spend as much time as you are willing to pay.

But the answer to the question is  Batman and maybe Wolverine.  I don't think it matters if it is splash, panel page, or cover, it's just based on the character's popularity.  Surprisingly Spidey doesn't come up for me.

Malvin

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

Batman.

But what if we rephrase slightly: "What character will an artist charge you more for because they're a pain to draw?" Swamp Thing? Medusa?

a really funky good looking carnage.. so many pencil lines for the symbiote stuff floating everywhere....

Since the question relates to PUBLISHED splashes, I’d offer:

1) Tin Tin (if a splash exists, would have been drawn by Herge and worth $$$$)

2) Fritz the Cat or other uniquely Crumb characters (his Ms. Dale Steinberger splash sold for $31k)

Then...

3) Rorschach, Wolverine, Dark Phoenix, Batman (on gargoyle), Elektra, Dr. Doom, Thanos  = my order of value, regardless of artist.  If I were to commission a new piece to hold value, I’d prioritize character splashes in that order as well.  Note: Silver Surfer is fairly simple to draw but the detail/quality of cosmic background ultimately drives value.  

My 2c

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Batman.

A tie between Black Canary and Zatanna....I've heard more than one seasoned pro muttering obscenities about rendering fishnets at a convention table.

The tie is broken by having to also render a top hat, making Zatanna the winner and/or loser. 

6 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I think the keyword here is “premium.”

Yes, I agree with you; a full-figure Punisher splash with skull and guns fetches a premium and they aren’t easy to come by. But I think there’s a difference in premium between a John Herbert and John Romita, Jr and John Buscema Punisher splash.

4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

A tie between Black Canary and Zatanna....I've heard more than one seasoned pro muttering obscenities about rendering fishnets at a convention table.

I have my share of Black Canary drawings and haven't gotten an "Ugh" upon making my request.  I recognize that drawing the fishnets is hard (I've tried). I've gotten a fair amount of BC drawings where the fishnets ended up on the disappointing side, those don't go on CAF. 

I don't blame necessarily blame the artist.  But I think they go into it with a plan and it just doesn't work out.  Sometimes, just drawing a simple grid works best.  Just make sure it's not oriented in line with legs.  Turn it 45 degrees.

On 1/17/2020 at 12:37 PM, BCarter27 said:

Batman.

Jack of Hearts - hands down. Can you imagine this 100 times per issue?
image.png.c467083c12b499843d091629d5953812.pngimage.png.fce37c1c27bb649df8ffdfe3a221e86f.png

Edited by alxjhnsn