• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Categorizing Keys
2 2

173 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I agree with everything you said.... Only, I see ASM 3, 6 and 14 as keys because they introduce major villains... Even if the value doesn't rise significantly in comparison to the issues before and after it. 

Said another way, I think there is a certain level of subjectivity in determining what is a "key". 

Sandman? (shrug)

5 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Sandman? (shrug)

A guys who's super power is equivalent to my 2 year old sons? He can throw sand and make awesome sand castles? Hardly a key! 

Just kidding! ASM 4 should be added. Spider-Man is like Batman in the sense that he introduced a ton of great villains. 

16 hours ago, kav said:

Based on another thread I thought it might be worthwhile to categorize key books.  This is my rough first attempt, feel free to modify/add to it.

A key book is a significant first appearance or book that has some other unusual quality that makes it desirable, for instance Strange Adventures #79.  A book is not key based solely on value.  It also has to have some significant quality.  One characteristic of keys is the issues before and after them are significantly lower in value.

image.jpeg.03e92ec1689dc36b0b2f9fbaec6977fb.jpeg

Key: $50-$300 book

Super key: $301-$1000 book

Mega Key: $1,001-$5,000 book

Ultra key: $5,001-$10,000 book

Super Mega Key: $$10,001-$50,000 book

Pinnacle key: over $50,000

Some thought should be put into what condition these values are based on-I'll leave that to others.

I think the term "Key" is the most pointless term in the history of terminology.

4 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

We have all these terms we use in the hobby

• First appearance
  • Cameo
  • Classic cover or story
  • #1 issue
  • Scarce, rare, HTF, low census
  • High grade
  • Ties / connected to MCU
  • Variant

Use those terms to describe your books. They are more objective.

Super mega ultra maya maya uber eschelon key or indeed KEY is too subjective. An Avengers #1 is not a key. It's just a #1.

Key is just a marketing term. 

~Om, who recognizes he is gateKEYping

Great post, but what I really wanted to do was let you know I think your avatar is awesome. It makes me laugh every time I see it, and I have no rationale for why.

Thanks for brightening my days

1 minute ago, BaronSamedi said:

What?

He just admitted he has no impact on the hobby, why are you trying to act like he does?

Maybe