• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Categorizing Keys
2 2

173 posts in this topic

Interesting concept, but I don't subscribe to the notion that keys are defined strictly by value. Value is too fluid. 

Is Action 1 any more of a "key" now than it was 40 years ago when it was within the financial means of an average person? (Sure it was relatively expensive then, but compared to average income, much more affordable.) 

Because a previously undistinguished book features a character that appears in a movie and suddenly spikes in value, is it really a "key"?

I see "key" as being more of a result of consistent demand over time. Not sure how you'd measure that though. That's above my pay grade. :grin:

1 minute ago, Mr. Zipper said:

Interesting concept, but I don't subscribe to the notion that keys are defined strictly by value. Value is too fluid. 

No I said that in my post-value alone does not define a key.

16 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:
36 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It is what it is.

I think most sellers try and make books accessible for everyone.

I get it, growing up my allowance was $.25 a week, but that said more about my parents than it did the market. I was still able to put together a decent collection.

Wow !! my allowance was 35 cents a week lol  but it could buy a 20 cent comic, a 10 cent pack of baseball cards and a five cent candy bar ....

lol allowance? We don't need an allowance! :sumo: or I didn't get one at all lol I used to ride my bike to pic up cigarette packs, because the had "miles" that were points on the box that you could peel off and send in to redeem things...... like shirts, lighters, ashtrays, patches, wait patches? we don't need no stinkin' patches! haha

Blazing%20Saddles,%20No%20Stinking%20Badges%20scene-8x6.jpg?imgmax=800

That's not to say I didn't get money from the parents, but I had to ask for it, give the reason why, debate whether it was worth it lol 

1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
meme instead of gif

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I used to ride my bike to pic up cigarette packs, because the had "miles" that were points on the box that you could peel off and send in to redeem things...... like shirts, lighters, ashtrays, patches, wait patches? we don't need no stinkin' patches! haha

i remember those and we used to kid the people that collected them that if they smoked and saved enough "cigarette miles" they could get a gold plated casket lol 

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol allowance? We don't need an allowance! :sumo: or I didn't get one at all lol I used to ride my bike to pic up cigarette packs, because the had "miles" that were points on the box that you could peel off and send in to redeem things...... like shirts, lighters, ashtrays, patches, wait patches? we don't need no stinkin' patches! haha

Blazing%20Saddles,%20No%20Stinking%20Badges%20scene-8x6.jpg?imgmax=800

That's not to say I didn't get money from the parents, but I had to ask for it, give the reason why, debate whether it was worth it lol 

1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg

My brother used to steal money out of mom's purse-I hated him for that.

22 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i remember those and we used to kid the people that collected them that if they smoked and saved enough "cigarette miles" they could get a gold plated casket lol 

lol we used to make fun too, until one bored Saturday I was like, "we have bikes! forget smoking let's go get free stuff!!" hahahaaha, I ended up with Marlboro torch lighters 3-4 shirts, 2 ashtrays, a patch that is unused that I still have kept, gave all the rest away...... me and a friend thought we were the boss for doing all that :roflmao: if only I was like that where things didn't matter that much, so I could just have some fun :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, kav said:

My brother used to steal money out of mom's purse-I hated him for that.

??? I don't know why you'd bring that up lol sorry about that though..... I never wanted to do that because my parents were very nice, I just didn't ask for much as a kid, I GUESS it's just because I didn't "have to"..... I was perfectly satisfied :) 

??? I don't know why you'd bring that up lol sorry about that though..... I never wanted to do that because my parents were very nice, I just didn't ask for much as a kid, I GUESS it's just because I didn't "have to"..... I was perfectly satisfied :) 

I can bring up whatever I want!!  :sumo:

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol we used to make fun too, until one board Saturday I was like, "we have bikes! forget smoking let's go get free stuff!!" hahahaaha, I ended up with Marlboro torch lighters 3-4 shirts, 2 ashtrays, a patch that is unused that I still have kept, gave all the rest away...... me and a friend thought we were the boss for doing all that :roflmao: if only I was like that where things didn't matter that much, so I could just have some fun :foryou: 

Meaning we'd ride bikes and dumpster dive for discarded packs, in case anyone missed my shame lol

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I ended up with Marlboro torch lighters 3-4 shirts, 2 ashtrays,

When i was a kid our family saved S & H green stamps and my parents saved up a bunch of books a bought me a sweet rubber ball just like the schools had ... i loved that ball lol 

Image result for s and h green stamps Image result for school rubber ball

23 minutes ago, kav said:

No I said that in my post-value alone does not define a key.

Could we still give key a "numerical grade", rather than value?

Say, on a scale of 1-10 of importance?

Ya lol

That was insensitive of me my bad...

:sorry:

YOU JUST BETTER WATCH YOURSELF!!

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Could we still give key a "numerical grade", rather than value?

Say, on a scale of 1-10 of importance?

That would be great if CGC added key value.  Grade-9.6 Key-3

Just now, kav said:

Actually that wouldnt work as keys fluctuate-

ya and can you imagine if CGC had to read every book that came across to reevaluate a 9.6 key of importance?

maybe "graded in 2019 with IH 181 in 8.0 grade with a 9.9 grade of key importance" :sumo: :flipbait: