• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Categorizing Keys
2 2

173 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2020 at 7:34 PM, kav said:

Based on another thread I thought it might be worthwhile to categorize key books.  This is my rough first attempt, feel free to modify/add to it.

A key book is a significant first appearance or book that has some other unusual quality that makes it desirable, for instance Strange Adventures #79.  A book is not key based solely on value.  It also has to have some significant quality.  One characteristic of keys is the issues before and after them are significantly lower in value.

image.jpeg.03e92ec1689dc36b0b2f9fbaec6977fb.jpeg

Key: $50-$300 book

Super key: $301-$1000 book

Mega Key: $1,001-$5,000 book

Ultra key: $5,001-$10,000 book

Super Mega Key: $$10,001-$50,000 book

Pinnacle key: over $50,000

Some thought should be put into what condition these values are based on-I'll leave that to others.

How the fkuc does this list doesn’t have a More Better Key

4 hours ago, kav said:
4 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

Interesting concept, but I don't subscribe to the notion that keys are defined strictly by value. Value is too fluid. 

No I said that in my post-value alone does not define a key.

So did we just imagine your proposal of a scale that defines keys solely by value?

4 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:
4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

might want to check again as CGC comics also runs NGC coins and they run the message boards under the same umbrella

You got me there. I should have researched that more!

No, we are on cgccomics.com/boards right now. NGC and CGC are both part of CCG, but the boards have been completely separated for years.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

kavscale.jpg.cf29fad5b423ccca86141e7230f3cc79.jpg

Some thought should be put into what condition the values are based on.  Keys are not determined solely by value.

I know you're hoping for some 'gotcha' moment here, but sorry.

Ok I see you posted a confused reaction-let me help you understand-Keys are determined by value and significance.  I made a chart to go with the value part of the equation.  I did not chart the 'significance' part of the equation, although I guess that may be possible.  

Just now, jcjames said:

If you go to "mega", ya gotta stay with the metric scale:

Key Scale.jpg

^^

:flipbait:

Then you can also go down from there for the "lower scale keys"

Centikey (maybe like IH181, etc)

Millikey (maybe like ASM129)

Microkey

Nanokey

Picokey

Femtokey

Attokey

Zeptokey

Yoctokey (most worthless issue ever)

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Yoctokey (most worthless issue ever)

Youngblood #1 or Woodgod

27 minutes ago, kav said:

Some thought should be put into what condition the values are based on.  Keys are not determined solely by value.

Worth reminding that "condition" doesn't necessarily mean CGC grading, but as you mentioned in your 1st post, conditions that the 1 book could be set apart from the rest of the run :) 

Also, there are hatchlings lol FF #1 = a key, hence a hatchling would be #2 & #3 in succession and value....

I don't want to think that hard, I respect you for trying, and it isn't always said value, because supply and demand (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Worth reminding that "condition" doesn't necessarily mean CGC grading, but as you mentioned in your 1st post, conditions that the 1 book could be set apart from the rest of the run :) 

Also, there are hatchlings lol FF #1 = a key, hence a hatchling would be #2 & #3 in succession and value....

I don't want to think that hard, I respect you for trying, and it isn't always said value, because supply and demand (thumbsu 

I can try if I want!