• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Categorizing Keys
2 2

173 posts in this topic

Based on another thread I thought it might be worthwhile to categorize key books.  This is my rough first attempt, feel free to modify/add to it.

A key book is a significant first appearance or book that has some other unusual quality that makes it desirable, for instance Strange Adventures #79.  A book is not key based solely on value.  It also has to have some significant quality.  One characteristic of keys is the issues before and after them are significantly lower in value.

image.jpeg.03e92ec1689dc36b0b2f9fbaec6977fb.jpeg

Key: $50-$300 book

Super key: $301-$1000 book

Mega Key: $1,001-$5,000 book

Ultra key: $5,001-$10,000 book

Super Mega Key: $$10,001-$50,000 book

Pinnacle key: over $50,000

Some thought should be put into what condition these values are based on-I'll leave that to others.

Edited by kav

11 minutes ago, kav said:

Based on another thread I thought it might be worthwhile to categorize key books.  This is my rough first attempt, feel free to modify/add to it.

A key book is a significant first appearance or book that has some other unusual quality that makes it desirable, for instance Strange Adventures #79.  A book is not key based solely on value.  It also has to have some significant quality.

That is a good "key" grade scale

I haven't broke through the threshold of super keys yet

I use key loosely as I interpret it loosely when others use the term....

I dont necessarily need to define or label that, but as most things with comics it's a personal choice and decision!:headbang:

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I use key loosely as I interpret it loosely when others use the term....

I dont necessarily need to define or label that, but as most things with comics it's a personal choice and decision!:headbang:

That's the problem and why I started the thread-the term is too loose.  Some standardization I believe is needed.

20 minutes ago, kav said:

A key book is a significant first appearance or book that has some other unusual quality that makes it desirable, for instance Strange Adventures #79.  A book is not key based solely on value.  It also has to have some significant quality.

Some thought should be put into what condition these values are based on-I'll leave that to others.

What a great cover! The covers on these late Golden/early Silver age Mystery In Space, Strange Adventure, Tales of the Unexpected, etc., Scifi-horror books are simply spectacular, IMO.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Old English cǣg, cǣge, of unknown origin.

The word key,” which comes from the Old English word meaning “serving to open or explain,” has always had metaphorical associations, as in a means to uncover ideas or emotions that are hidden or blocked.

Used in collecting it began as 'something you have to have'.

That's interesting as it's sort of a metaphor in my understanding, so I can see that as something quantifiable or on levels of quality. As in the key of IH 181 is more quantifiable than that of omega men 3, given the history and probable future.

"Have to have" hints on likability or popularity, which can be vague or more a personal choice idk, I'm rambling lol

14 minutes ago, kav said:

Old English cǣg, cǣge, of unknown origin.

The word key,” which comes from the Old English word meaning “serving to open or explain,” has always had metaphorical associations, as in a means to uncover ideas or emotions that are hidden or blocked.

Used in collecting it began as 'something you have to have'.

True

But keys 'open' too so those books open the comics universe like say ironman 55

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

True

But keys 'open' too so those books open the comics universe like say ironman 55

Plus there's also the Florida Keys and stuff-

Can we just use Epizeuxis??

"key" key = $50 - $300
"key key" key = $301 - $1,000
"key key key" key = $1,001 - $5,000
"key key key key" = $5,001 - $10,000
"key key key key key" key = $10,001 - $50,000
"key key key key key key" key = $50,000+

Edited by 707comics

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

What a great cover! The covers on these late Golden/early Silver age Mystery In Space, Strange Adventure, Tales of the Unexpected, etc., Scifi-horror books are simply spectacular, IMO.

Speaking of Tales of the Unexpected Keys, issue 43 is the first in the title with the Space Ranger on the cover.

The thought occurs to me, might there still be undiscovered keys out there? I'm thinking of books like Tales to Astonish #13, which popped up as a key just a few years ago when the Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out.

scan0074.jpg

6 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Great concept!

How's about rarest, hardest, scarce or extreme rare?

I'm not sure if this book is currently considered a key, though it's the first issue in a short lived title. I have been looking off and on for several years, since I was lucky enough to snare a copy of #6 of World of Mystery. There is one copy on Ebay right now. So cool cover IMHO, pretty tough to locate, and #1 in a title. Is that enough to be considered a key?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-OF-MYSTERY-1-3-5-THE-LONG-WAIT-1956/233385990117?hash=item3656e397e5:g:so8AAOSwFiNdr17r

16 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I'm not sure if this book is currently considered a key, though it's the first issue in a short lived title. I have been looking off and on for several years, since I was lucky enough to snare a copy of #6 of World of Mystery. There is one copy on Ebay right now. So cool cover IMHO, pretty tough to locate, and #1 in a title. Is that enough to be considered a key?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-OF-MYSTERY-1-3-5-THE-LONG-WAIT-1956/233385990117?hash=item3656e397e5:g:so8AAOSwFiNdr17r

Maybe we should use CGC Census to see how rarest the books are.

BTW, there are 19 graded copies World of Mystery #1 on the census.  What was the total circulation for this copy?